Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Axcess

Wondo

at this time' date=' there are no plans to do a Custom version of this as a regular production model.[/quote']That's a shame, the Custom prototype at NAMM sure looked cool (would have looked better in ebony instead of silverburst though).

Is there any plan to issue as limited run?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Staxman how do you like yours is it really worth all the money because Im kinda on the fence about buying one

imho, the short answer is yes. Get back up to Wildwood & play one - one of the best playing, best sounding L.P.s I've ever tried. Once the bank account recovers from buying the Lifeson I will be buying an Axcess in Ice Tea. Speaking of Lifeson 355s, are you still loving yours? I hope so - I think mine is the best guitar I've ever owned.

imho' date=' the short answer is yes. Get back up to Wildwood & play one - one of the best playing, best sounding L.P.s I've ever tried. Once the bank account recovers from buying the Lifeson I will be buying an Axcess in Ice Tea. Speaking of Lifeson 355s, are you still loving yours? I hope so - I think mine is the best guitar I've ever owned.[/quote']Yep, AL-124 is a winner in my book. It gives me chills to play it it sounds so good. I don't mind the odd volute, just the coverup on the reason for it's existence, and no build issues have occured yet like some folks have reported, knock on wood. The Lifeson and Axcess are 2 very different guitars, and both are equally fun and inspiring to play IMO. I can see why Alex digs them so much.

at this time' date=' there are no plans to do a Custom version of this as a regular production model.[/quote'] Admin, Why is it that every time you guys come out with a cool concept, you never go through with it? You NEED to produce the Axcess CUSTOM (W/0 Trem)! That IS (or, would be) THE perfect Les Paul!!!

So superdick it is really worth it I just thought it was another les paul. Can you give me some good points on why I should get it.

Here you go.. Thinner body = less weight & superb balance, as well as no shoulder pain after long sets. Ultra easy access to upper frets - even more so than on a Strat. Plek set up + Floyd = outstanding playability & tuning stability. Strat style body carve on back = most comfortable Paul I've ever played, standing or sitting - does not dig into my ribs like a Standard does. It feels like the neck has an asymetrical carve (thinner on the treble side) = fits your hand like a glove. Push-pull pot = Gibson and Fender tones on the same guitar - very flexible. Not crazy about the Gunmetal finishes, but the flametops Wildwood has in stock are very figured & nicely tinted = good looks never hurt anyone. Last but not least, Big Al plays one, but with the Axcess, you don't have to worry about any "volute issues"! (Just kidding - I have no problems with AL-079 at all, other than not having enough time to play her as much as I'd like)

Well rich I must admit you make it sound real tasty so does stax man I guess I will have to run up to wildwood and go check one out. One more question for everybody on the forum and you rich how does it compare to the 355? How does it compare to other les pauls because I own a les paul and im not big on its tone for rush. Also how good is the tone on it for playing rush does it sound like his on tour and does it play most rush well?

You see the reason I am asking this is because right now I play shows for my family and some friends and I was thinking of getting a PA setup with a mixer and some mics and an in ear monitor because I play with the albums and the sterio just will not compete with my Marshall 4140 combo amp. Also on my list was a Voodoo Labs custom made Plexi Head with an EVHIII cabinet to be able to get that true and real rock sound. I also own a les paul 1960 VOS Plain Top which is all right but doesnt do rush that well. See my dilema but after you guys keep saying the axcess is just so sweet I really dont know what to do. DO you guys have any suggestions? Also anwsers to my questions above.

Thanks

Joe

You see the reason I am asking this is because right now I play shows for my family and some friends and I was thinking of getting a PA setup with a mixer and some mics and an in ear monitor because I play with the albums and the sterio just will not compete with my Marshall 4140 combo amp. Also on my list was a Voodoo Labs custom made Plexi Head with an EVHIII cabinet to be able to get that true and real rock sound. I also own a les paul 1960 VOS Plain Top which is all right but doesnt do rush that well. See my dilema but after you guys keep saying the axcess is just so sweet I really dont know what to do. DO you guys have any suggestions? Also anwsers to my questions above.

Thanks

Joe

A lot depends on what Rush songs you want to play, but I would disagree that a Les Paul is not good for playing Rush! A lot of early Rush was recorded on a Les Paul and he played one live quite often. He did dump Gibsons for quite a while, but now he's back. On the recent tour he played the Axcess and several Les Pauls almost exclusively, as well as a Howard Robers for one song and either the original 355 or the new Lifeson 355 for a few. So a Les Paul will work fine for many Rush songs that don't require tremolo if you have your amp/effects set up well to recreate Alex's sounds.

The Axcess is versatile enough to play almost any Rush you want, even the stuff he did with PRS, Teles or Strats since it has a tremolo and the coil-tap function. No, it won't nail every sound Alex ever recorded, you'd need a room full of guitars and amps/effects to do that, but it is well rounded enough to cover a lot of ground if your rig is properly set up for Rush.

To compare the Axcess to the AL-355 is like comparing a new Maserati to an old Ferarri. Both are awesome and desirable in their own way. The Lifeson is a classic with awesome vintage tone. The Axcess is much more versatile and well rounded with a blend of classic and modern appointments. If I had to choose only one it would be the Axcess, just because you can do a lot more with it. I really wanted both so I dumped a bunch of gear on e-bay to afford it. A BIG bunch :-)

Thanks staxman well I think I am going to go for it. It sounds like what Im looking for a great guitar that is extremly versitile. By the way I have built my whole rig around playing Rush so trust me Im there in that sense. This will just allow me to cover even more of Rush except with that sweet *** gibson tone!!!! By the way I didn't mean that the Les Paul is not a great guitar to play Rush it is really good for alot of the old stuff ala Rush through 2112 but after that a nice hollowbody really nails the tone alot better especially the 355.

By the way has anybody on here owned or played an old Howard Roberts Fusion? If so how was it?

Are you kidding?? Les Pauls rule! They are my favorite guitar. Many here on the forum have seen clips of me playing La Villa with the Lifeson. From that clip alone someone might get the impression that would be all I play Rush tunes on. Not at all. I play Les Pauls pretty much most of the time and always have. I was pleased to see that Alex is now doing this, but I was doing this before he did in a Rush tribute band mind you. And when he started playing several Les Pauls on recent tours I remember saying, "It is about time." Even Geddy in a Guitar World article said he likes Alex's tone best when he is playing a Les Paul. I too own a 1960 Reissue Plaintop as well as a 1960 Reissue Flametop and a Peter Frampton Signature Les Paul Custom (One of the best Les Pauls for Progressive Rock!) Now, I plan on adding the Axcess to the collection. I expect, like Alex, I will play the Axcess alot. Now, that being said, the Lifeson is one fantastic guitar (all complaints about the volute aside). My brother-in-law came over last night and we were trying his new Fender Strat (Historic) through my Triamp Lifeson sig. in which he just dropped some Dimarzios which sounded fantastic by the way and when we broke out the Lifeson we both commented on how huge the Lifeson sounds. I had been playing both the 1960 reissues which both kick and have tremendous tone, but the Lifeson stands in a league all its own. Still, for me the Les Paul is what is most comfortable for me and a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose is what I have been waiting for. I have been playing Free Will on an Ibanez with a Floyd. But, the Axcess with take me right where I have wanted to go with that song. Life is good that we have so many wonderful options!!

Let me make it clear I'm not bashing les pauls I mean I love mine I even play Jacobs Ladder on it. Lately I have gotten to love it more. It is the guitar I use most. Pauls are great I mean they just ooze rock as everybody knows I was just saying that for some songs to get the tone of the album the 355 is better however the Les Paul blows the 355 away in respect to versitility in all styles of music. I feel the same way that after I get the Axcess it will become one of my main guns so I just want to make it clear that I do love Les Pauls so nobody gets offended on this forum. I think they are some of the best guitars in the world and you are right the lifeson is in a class of its own. It sounds great but in its own peticular way.

One thing about Alex is he has played so many brands of guitars over the years that there really is no right or wrong choice when it comes to what guitar you should choose to do Rush covers. No worries, Differentstrings89, you don't have to prefer a Les Paul for playing Rush if you don't want to, and a LP is certainly NOT what Alex played on many of the bigger hits. My point and I think Wondo's too is that many Rush songs should sound just fine on a Les Paul since Alex has used them extensively, and for us they are staples in the overall Rush guitar experience. But as you say, the AL-355 does do a great job on vintage Rush tones.

But to each his own, also. Wondo stated he likes to play Freewil on a floyd-equipped Ibanez and will probably migrate to the Axcess on that song. I used to play that song on a LP Custom (which I sold to buy AL-124). Having now played both the Axcess and the AL-355, I have found that the AL-355 is the perfect guitar for me on that tune. And it doesn't matter as long as we are each happy with the results. I've seen Alex play Freewill on a dozen different guitars, so there's no rules on this.

If you do get an Axcess I think you will be very pleased at how versatile it is. It really can wear many hats when it comes to tones and styles and there's very little, if any, Rush you cannot play on it. Some exceptions are the stuff where Alex uses a piezo bridge setup to blend in acoustic sounds. I have a PRS Hollowbody with piezo I use for that stuff that sounds just incredible. I see now that Graph-Tech has a piezo equipped Floyd licsenced bridge....Hmmmm, now that would be cool on an Axcess, assuming they sound authentic.

Yeah, Freewill has been done on many different guitars over the years. Many think that in the lead, the bends with the harmonic in the beginning is done with a trem. But, it was done purely with the hands. I have done it that way before but when I have seen Alex do it recently he is doing the bends with the trem. I like that way as well. It gives it a unique tone. The original was done with the 355 with no trem. To each his own. As has been said, Alex has used so many guitars over the years, it really does not matter. However, for 2112, I think a Les Paul is in order IMHO. For Caress of Steel a 335 is a great guitar to play on that stuff. Although, I got rid of my 335 years ago and replaced it with a 356. The 356 is a fantastic guitar, but sounds more like a Les Paul than an ES in my opinion. Now, that I have the Lifeson the 356 is going to be sold so that I can afford the Axcess. One of my 1960 Reissue Les Pauls is so open and airy while maintaining that Les Paul punch that it makes the 356 obsolete. I truly think that after the Axcess, I may not need to buy any more guitars. The only one I might like is to get a EDS 1275 Double Neck in White. I had one. It was an 80's model that looked like Alex's original. But, I sold it. That is how I was able to get the Lifeson Triamp. But, I miss that one and would like to get another double neck like the one that Alex is playing now with the gold hardware! Might sell my Frampton for that. Somebody stop me.

Damn right Wondo that double neck is one of my dreams too. Anyway your exactly right I play the songs on everything I have played limelight on a deluxe strat, the 355 and on my Moving Pictures era White strat that my guitar tech custom built me. Rush is such great music because it has that accesibility of tones you can pretty much play it on anything and it sounds good. For me I will first get the live PA setup I have been craving but only because I think the axcess plus my hundred watt 4140 will blow away my sterio. Right after that I will be going after an axcess. I was going to get a PRS in the near future however I don't think I will be needing it considering how versitile the axcess is. I may even end up selling my 1960 reissue les paul. The only reason is because the neck on it feels cramped to me and I think that is why I don't play it as much as I should. If I were to get another les paul what suggestions do you guys have, which ones sound the best?

Damn right Wondo that double neck is one of my dreams too. Anyway your exactly right I play the songs on everything I have played limelight on a deluxe strat' date=' the 355 and on my Moving Pictures era White strat that my guitar tech custom built me. Rush is such great music because it has that accesibility of tones you can pretty much play it on anything and it sounds good. For me I will first get the live PA setup I have been craving but only because I think the axcess plus my hundred watt 4140 will blow away my sterio. Right after that I will be going after an axcess. I was going to get a PRS in the near future however I don't think I will be needing it considering how versitile the axcess is. I may even end up selling my 1960 reissue les paul. The only reason is because the neck on it feels cramped to me and I think that is why I don't play it as much as I should. If I were to get another les paul what suggestions do you guys have, which ones sound the best? [/quote']

First off, although the double neck is really cool, I have to remind myself why I got rid of it. It sounded and played great, but how often do you actually use it?? For me, I played Xanadu and some stuff from Caress of Steel and some originals, but I have found that can be covered very well with a six string and some effects. The other reason was changing strings was a PITA to say the least and keeping 18 strings in tune is a bit of a chore. And, it is HEAVY. But, it is a cool guitar to have that is for sure. I have noticed that people who used to play them do not play them much any more. Like Alex, Jimmy and others just don't bother with these things. They really become a novelty more than a practical instrument.

About the Les Paul, unless the neck is feeling cramped to you because of the slim profile, then you could get another Historic, like a 59. I personally love the 1960 reissues and if it were me, I would not get rid of the 1960 (I have two and I don't plan on selling either one). The necks feel great to me. But, that is why they have different necks right, for personal preference. So, a 59 may be better for you. However, you may want to try the Traditional. These are pretty cool and the neck profile is a bit fatter. I have played two of them. My guess is it will be close to what the Axcess is going to be. However, I found that the Reissues are just so much better than the USA Les Pauls they are putting out. You can always get a Custom. They have rounded neck profiles and look great. I have always liked Customs. OR get two Axcess. They were supposed to have one with a Floyd and one without.

Well for sure I am going to get a gibson custom shop there is no doubt about that. I know my Les Paul is cramped because when I play Tom Sawyer on the 355 I have no trouble but when I play it on the paul it just feels cramped and I cannot play the chords right. But I actually want to get a historic. the 59 sounds real nice expensive but nice wildwood guitars here in Colorado has a real nice tobacco one I have had my eye on. My 1960 is just a plain top from guitar center I mean it is VOS but not like the 59 with the flame. I was looking at a black beauty too but im not sure. If you were going to get a VOS what would be the best to go with a 1959 reissue? Would the 3 pickup non VOS black beauty be nice as well?

Well for sure I am going to get a gibson custom shop there is no doubt about that. I know my Les Paul is cramped because when I play Tom Sawyer on the 355 I have no trouble but when I play it on the paul it just feels cramped and I cannot play the chords right. But I actually want to get a historic. the 59 sounds real nice expensive but nice wildwood guitars here in Colorado has a real nice tobacco one I have had my eye on. My 1960 is just a plain top from guitar center I mean it is VOS but not like the 59 with the flame. I was looking at a black beauty too but im not sure. If you were going to get a VOS what would be the best to go with a 1959 reissue? Would the 3 pickup non VOS black beauty be nice as well?

Well, not sure why the neck on the Lifeson would be that different from a 1960 Reissue Les Paul. They are both 60's necks and I find both to be very similar. A 59 is a bigger neck. A Les Paul Custom has a rounded neck profile which is not as fat as a 59 but a bit more rounder than a 60 neck. If you want a bigger neck than the 60, yes I would go with a 59. But, it will be bigger than the Lifeson.

Also, do not underestimate the 1960 as being "just a plaintop." I have two 1960 Reissues and one is a flametop and one is a plaintop. Both look awesome and both have their own vibe. I like them both for different things and looks is only a small percentage of the entire equation.

SO.. i just got back from playing the gibson axcess at the local walmart (guitar center), and i am kind of disappointed, and had some problems with it. One being that the floyd rose is REAL STIFF, does anyone else have this problem? it just is way to hard to pull down on the thing compaired to the floyd rose on my kramer 1984 EVH which is super easy.. i dont know if it was the springs or what.. also the guitars cavity for the floyd rose just barely fits it so it sort or touchs the side of the body when using it which will end up scraping the side of the floyd cavity.. the cavity routing for the floyd rose is also very shallow so you cant pull back like you could on a normal floyd.. it would have been better to either make the cavity deeper, or just not have a cavity and let the floyd rose float over the body.. it just doesnt feel how i thought it would..

On top of the world this morning, bumming hard this evening.... =P~ I took the plunge & bought an Ice Tea Axcess this morning, did some running around & finally got to plug in this evening only to discover the bridge pickup volume pot does not work - the pickup is always on full volume unless you place the p/u selector in the "rhythm" position. This is what I get for not thoroughly inspecting the electronics before bringing it home - I only played it for about ten minutes at the store & made the mistake of not twisting all the knobs in the process. Now I have to choose between keeping it & having it sent out for repair, or trading it for another - I bought it at Guitar Center & chose it because of its killer top & slightly heavier weight compared to the three others I've tried. Great guitar, but I'm starting to lose faith in Gibson's quality control. Thank God my Lifeson 355 didn't have any issues like this (other than the volute, which is not an issue for me) or I would not have even bought another C.S. Gibson. As it stands, I will probably trade it for the Ice Tea they have at their second store - it's top is not quite as nice, but I don't have the time or patients to wait for the thing to be sent away. Bummer...

All better now, exchanged faulty Ice Tea for new one. The new top is not quite as nice, but overall the new one feels, plays and sounds a just a tad better. Lesson learned - ALWAYS give a new axe a thorough test drive before taking it home! Check every knob & switch, fret every note, and inspect anything else you can think of. Better it happened this way than after I became too attached to her. Now for a brief review. What a pleasure it is to have a trem on a Les Paul! You still get all of that thick LP tone, and with the trem & coil splitter you can get strat-like & tele-like sounds as well. No other Les Paul I've ever heard gets the wide range of tones that the Axcess can get. Upper fret access is unbelievable for a Paul, and one of my favorite features is the strat-style body scarf on back - no more digging into my ribs like every LP that came before it. This one is a winner - and a keeper.

Archived