Gibson Brands Forums

poll closed no trade!

wkturn2008

My Epi LP Studio Chameleon is a great guitar, it stays in tune, sounds and plays well, but it's too heavy and I have just never bonded with it. This guy has an SG G-400 with Pirates of the Caribbean graphics and wants to trade straight up. They are both in like new condition. Please take a moment and participate in my poll.

Should I keep my Epi Chameleon?:

498106.jpg

Or trade it for this bizarre SG?:

497506.jpg

Poll, please vote either: 1. Chameleon LP, 2. Pirate SG

Hmmm.... our colleague above was a little blunt there, I'd be more mild on that one and say:

1/ Depends on "How Bizarre" you personality is, I mean if you're a forward type of person with plenty of confidence then yeah. I'd say go with it as I like the bizarre look of the SG...

2 However, if you're more of a wall flower and tends to want to be at the back of things then no I'd stick with the chameleon.. alternatively sell me your chameleon as I have to confess, I like it.

3/Our colleague is correct though, If unhappy with the LP then sell it and buy something that you really want and feel comfortable with... Oh! and try not to dive at buying a guitar, we've all been there then regretted it..I still do! (Er' Indoors HATES an Indie LP that I have with a St Andrews Cross on it and I'm not allowed to live it down and yet it is a really warm and sweet guitar to play and was bought for a purpose + it was cheap!)

Horses for courses My Son..

The fact that you have to ask is telling. The Pirates SG is great for someone who really wants that guitar. Otherwise, the novelty will quickly wear off and you will want to get rid of it. Since it didn't immediately grab you, I would say that it is not the guitar for you regardless of how much you like Johnny Depp (or Keira Knightley for that matter).

I kinda like the Chameleon although it's a bit of a 'girly' guitar... however I have to agree that the POTC G-400 is going to get very old very quickly and is even more kitschy than the Chameleon IMO. It's sort of like having to choose between a giant ****** and a turd sandwich, but I'd keep the Chameleon.

Sorry Wkturn...I couldn't, in good conscience, encourage you to sell your current LP

for THAT SG. Get a nice Epi-Japan '61 SG...one that you can grow into, instead of

out of! If you can't manage that...then a G-400, preferrably with the EE at the

beginning of the serial number. The Vintage versions (faded finish, bound fingerboard)

are nice, too! Any of them, would be a better choice, IMHO...than the "Pirate" guitar!

CB

I'd say do the trade.

The G-400 is lighter, the finish is eye catching, if a bit corporate, the inlays are kinda cool, and the value is closer to your chameleon than any ohter G-400.

BUT, it'd be a better move, to buy a used G-400(or vintage G-400), or gibson faded SG, whatever's around 250-350.

And keep your les paul, because, it's really, best to have both.

Here's some background information. I have 5 other electric guitars. A MIM Fender Strat, A MIM Fender Tele, an SX Strat, an SX LP JR TV and a Squier Standard Strat. I like the Epi LP Studio but I'd rather have a tobacco sunburst standard or something. I put a WTT ad on CL and this what I was offered. I'd rather have an Arctic white G-400. If I did trade for the POTC SG, it'd stay in the case just like the Chameleon. Which one would be easiest to sell?

Will

My Epi LP Studio Chameleon is a great guitar' date=' it stays in tune, sounds and plays well, but it's too heavy and I have just never bonded with it. This guy has an SG G-400 with Pirates of the Caribbean graphics and wants to trade straight up. They are both in like new condition. Please take a moment and participate in my poll.

Should I keep my Epi Chameleon?:

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/wkturn2008/498106.jpg[/img]

Or trade it for this bizarre SG?:

497506.jpg

Poll, please vote either: 1. Chameleon LP, 2. Pirate SG

Good Lord. Stay with the Chameleon! You can always upgrade the hardware on that and have a really classy looking guitar. That Pirates guitar? Nah, pass on that one. Who wants to be a walking advertisement for a movie franchise?

Voted for the LP, because I love LP... and don't like SG. But you are the only one to know. I'm 55 y.o....I don't see myself appearing for a gig with the pirate SG...Lolll, but if you are younger, it might have a "special" effect...

The LP needs a pickguard and chrome covers for the p'ups.

Agh' date=' no! These would only detract from the Chameleon finish. Besides, Epi pickups sound mediocre enough [i']without[/i] covers; adding covers only makes them even less defined.

When you're trying to sell a guitar and are also 'WTT'; you'd only want to trade for something you actually want. The fact that you need to ask for advice indicates that you don't really want the G-400... so why waste the time and energy to trade. IMO the Chameleon will be easier to flog than the POTC.

Well I checked it out and it wasn't in near as good of condition as my chameleon. Mine is mint, the SG was scratched up and had high action, the pickups height needed adjusting. I lowered the action so I could give it a fair shake, then told him sorry "no trade". Are all G-400s that light? It wieghed like 16 ounces.

Archived