Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my new SG 61...!

ant7629

Well after two long weeks of waiting my new baby arrived today, so here come the pics of my new Elitist SG 61' all the way from Japan....

I have a had a quick blast through the ol' valve marshall and I am speechless.... It is an amazing guitar. If you have the money, get one....now! :-)

CIMG0592.jpg

CIMG0589.jpg

CIMG0588.jpg

CIMG0593.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, Ant!! But, How did you get my guitar over to England and back, without me noticing?!! LOL!

SO glad it arrived safely, and you're happy! As to the comment of it not being an "Elitist?" Well, no one ever said it

was, just that it's made in the same place. But, I LIKE/prefer the Gibson headstock, myself. Which is

one reason I bought mine, in the first place. But, to each his own.

Again...Congratulations, and HNGD!!!

CB

Looks nice' date=' but its not an Elitist, it looks like an Epiphone Japan SG with the limited laquer finish. I prefer these to Elitists because the headstock is the correct shape.[/quote']

I agree it is better than an Elitist.

And congrats Ant on your new guitar!

Congratulations' date=' Ant!! But, How did you get my guitar over to England and back, without me noticing?!! LOL!

SO glad it arrived safely, and you're happy! As to the comment of it not being an "Elitist?" Well, no one ever said it

was, just that it's made in the same place. But, I LIKE/prefer the Gibson headstock, myself. Which is

one reason I bought mine, in the first place. But, to each his own.

Again...Congratulations, and HNGD!!!

CB [/quote']

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, I had it in my head head that it is an Elitist because it is made in Japan, its still cool though :-)

The finish is very thin. Is the finish on yours smooth under the light or can you see some "dimples"? I can spot them VERY slightly on mine....

Thanks everyone!

Sorry' date=' I had it in my head head that it is an Elitist because it is made in Japan, its still cool though :-)

The finish is very thin. Is the finish on yours smooth under the light or can you see some "dimples"? I can spot them VERY slightly on mine....[/quote']

The finish on mine is thin enough that the grain of the mahogany shows through as depressions in some places. I would prefer that over (1) super thick nitrocellulose or (2) grain-filler in the mahogany. The latter looks terrible to me, like someone spackled the indentation in the grain with beige plaster.

There's a fellow on E-bay, from Japan called "kyokyo16" I think it is. He has one

up now, for sale. Actually, I think it's the same photo as was for ours, but he

apparently still has stock. So...go for it! Don't think you'd be sorry...we certainly aren't.

There's another fellow, called "GusHarris" that sells the same thing. I've only dealt

with kyokyo16, so I don't know about the GusHarris fellow.

CB

Hello...new here but I just got my hands on a similar Epi Japan 61 SG...bought mine last week on Ebay from a guy in Switzerland...its finished in white and looks gorgeous...I already have a 2002 Elite SG...these are the best rock n roll guitars I've owned...Chris

Hello...new here but I just got my hands on a similar Epi Japan 61 SG...bought mine last week on Ebay from a guy in Switzerland...its finished in white and looks gorgeous...I already have a 2002 Elite SG...these are the best rock n roll guitars I've owned...Chris

White one, huh? Cool! Show us the photozzzz!

CB

Archived