Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my new SG 61...!

ant7629

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have three SGs' date=' two Gibsons and a G400, they are the most comfortable guitar ever. I love the access you get to the upper frets, I love the thin body and the cool horns, I love everything about them! I going to save up and buy another 61 RI as the last one I had was probably the best guitar I have ever played. Once you get one its a slippery slope![/quote']

What similarities/differences are there tonally between the three guitars? I'm particularly interested in knowing whether the two Gibsons are more similar to each other (i.e. if there is a consistency in manufacturing, and choice of woods) than they are to the Epiphone.

What similarities/differences are there tonally between the three guitars? I'm particularly interested in knowing whether the two Gibsons are more similar to each other (i.e. if there is a consistency in manufacturing' date=' and choice of woods) than they are to the Epiphone.[/quote']

They are 3 totally different guitars, the necks of the G400 and the 74 feel similar because they dont have binding, the 62 RI Showcase has EMGs and a bound neck so it cant be compared to the sound or the feel of the others. The Gibsons play a million times better than the Epi though. The Showcase was made in 1988 but it plays and feels the same as brand new 61 and 62 RIs.

The only thing that lets Epiphones down are the pickups and the really thick polly finishes, if you change the pups you are 80% there, but to me that extra 20% is worth the extra money. TBH you dont even have to spend a lot, the going rate for an Epi LP in the UK is £289 I got my used Gibson LP Studio from the US for £300 including shipping. #-o

I agree with the comment about the tone of the G400 compared to the Epi Japan models. As well as my 2 Jap models I have a G400 with the Maestro trem (bit of an SG nut really!) Its nice enough...it actually has Seth Lover pu's which its previous owner fitted...(these may well end up in my new white guitar)...but the sustain is nowhere near as good. The G400's aren't in the same league really...but they are great value nonetheless....Chris

Very Nice. I noticed that he raised the price on this one by about 80+ $'s when it was initially mentioned on a previous thread. Still cheaper that a gibson but the price gap is getting narrower betweem this particular model and a gibson sg.

Probably, to cover the increase in his shipping costs? It's still a "Steal!"

And the '61 Gibby, is almost 3 times the price. The Standard SG is closer,

but this one is the '61 version, deeper scarfs, wider bevels, smaller pickguard

with pickup rings, wider headstock, etc. But, it doesn't say "Gibson" on the

headstock, so...that may or may not be a consideration to you? I sure love

my Epi Japan version! If I ever did get the Gibson, it would be a VOS with

the Maestro...and probably never leave the house! LOL!! The Epi I can

play anywhere and not worry (so much, anyway) about it. Anyway...

just some thoughts.

CB

Very Nice. I noticed that he raised the price on this one by about 80+ $'s when it was initially mentioned on a previous thread. Still cheaper that a gibson but the price gap is getting narrower betweem this particular model and a gibson sg.

Mine was cheaper, but I had to pay a giant shipping charge. He later raised the price and offered free shipping. I think that might have been to make the shipping to S. America seem less (than $250).

Now why can't Epiphone release this guitar in the U.S.? Oh I know, because then everyone would quit buying the Gibson Faded SG! This is what I had in mind for the "Epiphone needs to redo the G-400" thread a few weeks back. This is my idea of a G-400! (Even though its not supposed to be).

Now where can I buy one for a decent price?

Mine was cheaper' date=' but I had to pay a giant shipping charge. He later raised the price and offered free shipping. I think that might have been to make the shipping to S. America seem less (than $250).[/quote']

Why is shipping to South America so expensive? I got free shipping on mine..

Done a comparison with my new(2007) Jap Epi '61SG and my 2002 Elite model..

Difficult in a way cause my Elite is well played in and working exactly as it should. Out of the box the new guitar plays very well...so said, I don't like the strings which feel like cheapo 11's or something..and the action is set way too high. So I've fiitted a set of SuperSlinky 9's...spent about 30 mins on the action and intonation and I can tell you that this guitar is just wonderful and very much on-a-par with my Elitist and probably as good as any Gibbo unless you want to pay thousands. I may possiby change the pu's at some point though the stock Japan units are fine.

Chris

Done a comparison with my new(2007) Jap Epi '61SG and my 2002 Elite model..

Difficult in a way cause my Elite is well played in and working exactly as it should. Out of the box the new guitar plays very well...so said' date=' I don't like the strings which feel like cheapo 11's or something..and the action is set way too high. So I've fiitted a set of SuperSlinky 9's...spent about 30 mins on the action and intonation and I can tell you that this guitar is just wonderful and very much on-a-par with my Elitist and probably as good as any Gibbo unless you want to pay thousands. I may possiby change the pu's at some point though the stock Japan units are fine.

Chris

[/quote']

Chris, how does the weight of your Japanese Epi compare to your Gibson? Same, lighter, heavier?

Just curious...mine feels so light, I'm wondering if it's just that I've forgotten how light SG's are, in

comparison to most other guitars? LOL!

CB

• 4 weeks later...

Chris' date=' how does the weight of your Japanese Epi compare to your Gibson? Same, lighter, heavier?

Just curious...mine feels so light, I'm wondering if it's just that I've forgotten how light SG's are, in

comparison to most other guitars? LOL!

CB[/quote']

Sorry havn't replied sooner...Just to clarify...I have a 2002 Epi Elite '61SG and a 2007 Japan market Epi '61SG. Many years ago I owned a '69 Gibson SG special...too long ago to do a real comparison, though I strongly suspect that both my Jap guitars are way better. Having now 'broken in' my new 2007 Epi...I would say that the Elite has the edge...the setup is better and of course it has USA pu's...the frets in particular are wonderful. So said, the 2007 model has the lacquer finish which I love and it has the original Gibson headstock shape. I'm gonna treat that one to a pro set-up, fret dress etc...a pair of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers and top-dog wiring and pots... the end result should piss all over any $2k Gibson historic/vintage whatever. I'll report back later when its done. Oh and the weight...yeah - both are very light and like all Gibbo's, a bit neck heavy...as they were. The white 2007 model is slightly lighter than the Elite.....Chris

Archived