Gibson Brands Forums

Practice amp

SlagJones

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My epi valve junior cranked to max when misses out and still isnt to loud (To me lol) Maybe a bit loud when others in if you want full tube distortion

Also love my Vox AD-30-VT Good tone at all volumes plus added effects so i can play allsorts! This amp is perfect for all ocations at home.

Epi valve junior combo+line6 POD.

Does the pod work good on the epi valve junior?

What do you use it for most? Would like one but need to know more from someone who uses one.

Thanks.

Sorry to jump on your thread [-X

Think lots of people on here love the little epi amp

Does the pod work good on the epi valve junior?

What do you use it for most? Would like one but need to know more from someone who uses one.

Thanks.

Sorry to jump on your thread :-k

Think lots of people on here love the little epi amp

It's a warmer tone than the pod can ever get through headphones, and the models can be useful in lieu of any kind of EQ on a VJ.

It just gives you alot more options then the VJ alone.

epi valve junior..

while it's true you don't get the maximum tone at low volume.. it needs to crank power for that..

it sounds really excellent with a pedal in front, so.. that's all I use.

I still maintain that a person with a satisfactory solid state usually has a handier practice amp than a valve amp.

they never sound as good.. but it's practice. concentrate on lousy chops not sounding like a studio.

but I sure do recommend a tube amp for anywhere but home..SS small amps are just for this idea.. cheap, sound pretty good, usually have several features.. nice way to go..

Course.. I sold my solid state amp to buy another vj because I am old and entitled to play as loud as I want.. finally!!!!

What is your favorite amp to practice with around the house? What's your fave small amp that doesn't go out on gigs yet is toneful at a reasonable volume?

I use a Line 6 Spider III 15W. I live in an apartment building and its to loud to turn up even 1/2 way so I keep it low on 2-3 but it sounds great and has a bunch of tones that you can set up and save. all of this for $99 you cant beat it.

http://www.line6.com/spideriii15/

Line6 Spider II 112 (75W). I use about 3 of those watts. My neighborhood is very quiet because most of the neighbors cannot afford AC.

+1

I have the Spider III 75W. I find it can be a little tricky at times to control the volume depending on the setting, particularly at the higher gain settings. The sound improved greatly once the speaker broke in, something to be aware of if you try one out.

I just picked up a JSX Mini Collosal the other day that I am coming to grips with. It uses a power soak so you can drive the tubes for tone and limit the volume to the speaker. Pretty cool, I was looking for a Windsor Studio but I got a great deal on this and couldn't resist.

I've got 2 for the house.....both are battery powered.

The Roland Street Performer, or the Line 6 Micro Spider. I like the Street Performer a bit better, but I have to crank that one up a bit louder to get a good sound out of it. (And, I still regret selling my Microcube.)

We had a topic about this.

We all got lost at what would happen if you bypassed the rectifier to use all DC power...

If I can find a VJ for under 50' date=' then I'll try it.[/quote']

Well, you'd have to ensure that you could still run it on AC.....(in fact, the premise would probably be something akin to AC is running into a rectifier at 50/60Hz, and all compenents within the amplifier are DC.)

But at the same time? Active electronics would be preferable to trying to run tubes off something like that.

What is your favorite amp to practice with around the house? What's your fave small amp that doesn't go out on gigs yet is toneful at a reasonable volume?

None. I do have 5 tube amps, but none are toneful at reasonable volume...:-

The Peavey Bandit I have broke down so I usually play unplugged. Still trying to figure out my Line 6 Toneport and Garageband but I'm too lazy.

Had a Bandit too and liked it but was too big for the house even with the power switch on the back. Traded down to the Envoy and replaced the speaker with a Rajun Cajun and it sounds good.

That or my Vox Pathfinder 2X10 right now, but that one has had heavy mods to its circuit and speaker upgrades and is really too loud now for a home amp, but it is small and light. I love the sound now but it is kind of an inbetween too small for pratice or gigs but too loud for the house.

After playing for 33+ years, and using about 10 different practice amps, I gotta say that for MY tone (Chicago Blues) I can't beat a Vox Valvetronix, with my G400 Custom Flametop (or my Bigsby rodded Telecaster).

For a backup, I have a Marshall MG, Followed by a Fender Frontman.

I tried the Valve Jr., liked the tone, but had to take it back when it burned up after only 70 minutes playing(after sounding like it had a golf ball bouncing around inside the head.).

Archived