Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist LP Custom or Fender American Standard Tele?

FloyDZeD

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but this question isn't really valid. They are two completely different types of guitars. Wait until you have $1000 and go to GC and have a blast trying out everything they have.

Have a few hundred $ bills sticking out of you pocket and they'll be tripping over each other to assist you.

I HATE country. Get the Studio' date=' black studio.[/quote']

Tele just for country? Geez....I didn't know Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Richards, Mike Stern, Chrissie Hynde, even Jimmy Page to name a few where country pickers. Learn something new everyday...cool.

edit to add// ....got to learn how to type faster.

Apples and Oranges!

Tele is a VERY versatile guitar! Some names mentioned above, would attest to that.

LP Customs are great guitars as well, in in the right hands, they can be just as versatile. The key here, is

what can YOU do, with either? What suits your style? What get's you "going?" That's a better question.

A Tele, is no more a "Country only" guitar, than a LP Custom is a "Jazz only" guitar! The Player makes the guitar work...

So, just about any guitar can be used, by a great player, in any (reasonable) situation.

CB

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. :-k

Good Luck finding an Elitist LP Custom. They have become pretty rare animals and if your a lefty' date=' there never was an Elitist Custom.[/quote']

no bad news my friends... http://shrinkster.com/11be

Get the Lp custom... I really don't like fenders... Not beefy enough..... Too thin sounding...

Too THIN sounding??! Have you listened to Led Zeppelin 1? That's mostly' date=' if not all Telecaster.

[/quote']

+1

I think the Reverend Billy Gibbons is quite fond of using a Tele on his recordings...nuff said.

Go somewhere and try them both..besides the Tele Twang there is the neck (9 1/2 in. radius Tele verses the 12 in. radius LP) I think everyone needs at least one Tele guitar...along with a LP, but then again need a semi hollow/hollow body too....(so many choices...so little time and money to buy! LOL)

Capt

Teles are thin sounding boys' date=' sorry its true, sure you can get then to sound fat, but they don't normaly sound like that. Stan.[/quote']

I don't know, Stan...I think they have a particular "Sparkle," or "Twang," but I've never thought

of them as "Thin" sounding. I've had similar sounds out of my Les Pauls, and/or SG's...depending

on the amp and settings. I was messing around with some "tones" the other day, and had my

Lucille out, and my Telecaster, and I could get "Lucille" sounds out of my Telecaster, no problem.

Had to tweek the amp, a bit, and roll back the tone knob on the Tele a bit, but it was right there.

And, I'm not talking about Lucille with the Veritone tweaked to one of the "thinner" tone positions.

This was bypassing the Veriton, altogether. Fender does have it's particular single coil, sharpness,

but I've never felt like it was "Thin." Maybe it's just me? LOL!

CB

Too THIN sounding??! Have you listened to Led Zeppelin 1? That's mostly' date=' if not all Telecaster.

It's used a bit on LZ II, too. And, was Hendix's Strat sound "too thin?"

CB [/quote']

I didn't say it sounded bad... It just doesn't suit me... One of my favorite guitar players is SRV...

On a side note, I kind of get sick and tired of seeing all the people at the blues jams playing strats trying to imitate him when it would be better if they had their own styles and be original... I mean hardly any blues players played strats before him... I'll stick with my les pauls and semi hollows for the blues... Because thats what suits me and what I feel is a more traditional blues sound...

I mostly play jazz so i am used to bigger guitars.... Teles and strats are just not comfortable for me... too small...

The Tele, hands down. Versatility, durability and playabilty. My only advice is to take your time and shop around. Play every single one at every store that you can possibly get to ( and, if possible, take YOUR amp ) and find THE Tele, not just A Tele. Do this, and you will have a partner for life.

I didn't say it sounded bad... It just doesn't suit me... One of my favorite guitar players is SRV...

On a side note' date=' I kind of get sick and tired of seeing all the people at the blues jams playing strats trying to imitate him when it would be better if they had their own styles and be original... I mean hardly any blues players played strats before him... I'll stick with my les pauls and semi hollows for the blues... Because thats what suits me and what I feel is a more traditional blues sound...

I mostly play jazz so i am used to bigger guitars.... Teles and strats are just not comfortable for me... too small...[/quote']

Yeah, I know what you mean. There has been a lot of Strat use, in that area, since SRV. But, in reality...Strats

have been used in all kinds of music, since they were invented. Surf, Blues (Buddy Guy, for just one), Rock, even "Metal!" Tele's too...save the "Metal."

I do agree that folks need to find their own style. But, we all "copy" our hero's styles, to an

extent. It's just natural, to do that. They did it too. But, sooner or later, we meld all that influence, into "our"

style....if we're lucky enough, to get that far. LOL! I wasn't trashing your opinion, really...just have (personally)

never thought of a Telecaster or Strat as being "Thin" sounding. I DO know, what I think you're referring to, but

I've heard both guitars sound as "heavy" and "Thick" as any Gibson or "humbucker" guitar...given the right settings,

amp, and...most of all, the right player! So, it's all cool!

CB

Archived