Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist LP Custom or Fender American Standard Tele?

FloyDZeD

Oh, and personally, I like 'em all, for Blues, and other music. But, there IS something really "Sweet," about

a thin-line archtop (335, Lucille, Sheri, etc.), that has that "warmth," and bite, too. So...we're not that far

apart, there. ;>) I'm fortunate enough, that I have that choice....to endulge my mood, at the time. Most of

the founding fathers of blues, played what they could get/afford! And they sounded great!

CB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Ricochet; get something that gives you something different from your current guitars. If you have a Gibson LP Studio, why buy another LP? Tonally, and feel-wise, it will be very similar.

If you go for a Tele try the Mexican ones too. Mine is a beaut and didn't need any upgrading; all those classic Tele tones are there.

I understand the comments about Fenders sounding thin in comparison. For rock/blues you need to find the right settings (eg Clapton on the Layla album, Nils Lofgrens' early stuff....and Rory Gallagher). For the Tele, Led Zep 1 electric parts were all done on a Tele, as was the studio Hey Joe by Jimi (a Tele he borrowed from Noel Redding for the session).

Strats have been used in all kinds of music' date=' since they were invented. Surf, Blues (Buddy Guy, for just one), Rock, even "Metal!" Tele's too...save the "Metal."

[/quote']

I'm with you CB, just wanted to add that Guthrie Gowan and Richie Kotzen 2 of my favourite players use(d) teles and alltho not exactly hardcore metal, they're pretty heavy shredders!

You don't really believe this do you ? Where do I start with the list???????????

OK the use of the word "hardly" was not a good choice... I just find it unusual that 90%+ of the guitar players I see today at blues jams are playing strats... =;

Whatever happened to the semi-hollow for the blues ? :-k:-k

Are you saying most of the players pre-1980 were playing stratocasters ?? #-o[-X

Buddy guy and Clapton is all I can think of... And I cringe when I am forced to consider Clapton a blues guitarist... But I have to because that is what is the popular thought....

By the way what part of Maryland are you from. I grew up in Poolesville and I went to U of Md Balt. Co in Catonsville.

I have an american tele and its one of the most versatile guitars that I have ever owned. Sure, it does produce that great "twang" sound, but mess with the tone/volume and there are many great rocking sounds to be had from the beast.

The two guitars are very chalk and cheese, but both great. I would go for the LP, but thats only because I already own the tele.....#-o

Hope it works out, which ever you decide on.

Good luck

And I cringe when I am forced to consider Clapton a blues guitarist... But I have to because that is what is the popular thought....

Actually, EC's blues history goes all the way back to his beginnings as a guitarist. That's not popular thought, it's a fact.

Actually' date=' EC's blues history goes all the way back to his beginnings as a guitarist. That's not popular thought, it's a fact.[/quote']

That was then...

Sorry... but none of his popular hits are what I consider blues...

I shot the sheriff

After Midnight

Cocaine

Lay Down Sally

Bell Bottom Blues

And, in my opinion, they all suck...

If you want a REAL tele that sounds like one should I reccomend a G&L ASAT classic. Tele's are awesome, but you aren't gonna sound like Roy Buchannan or Danny Gatton with an current run Fender American standard. Getting any classic Tele tone is hard I found with the modern run. You need the right PU's, wiring scheme, and the ashtray. They're all integral. My ASAT sounds so much more like a tele than my real tele, that I turned the Fender into a Gib Tele, ala Jeff Beck...it's got r uncovered Seymour Duncan Classic 59's in it now, and it rocks hard. The Fender reissues are very nice, but pricey. The ASAT is built better, and plays more smoothly IMO.

OK, "brianmayeux....NOW, you done it! Clapton is the very definition of a "Blues Guitarist!" Not just THEN, but always!

His "Hits" as you call them, may be more pop, or even reggie influenced, but does he have to be pigeon

holed, into one style in order to be acceptable, to you? You folks that want to put everyone in a nice little catagory,

for your own comfort, amusement, or "whatever," disturb me. Some of the "Blues" masters, had almost

a "Big Band" sound, but they weren't Tommy Dorsey! MUSIC is influenced by EVERYTHING. And musicians,

true musicians, take those influences, incorporate them, into what they want to do, and DO IT! You may

not like it, or gravitate to it, but it's just as valid, as what you like! Broaden your horizons, son! Think outside

the box, for awhile...you'll be surprised what things you can learn! You may not like EC, and that's your privilege,

but to say he's not a "blues" guitarist?! Sorry...that just doesn't "wash!"

CB

OK' date=' "brianmayeux....NOW, you done it! Clapton is the very definition of a "Blues Guitarist!" Not just THEN, but always!

His "Hits" as you call them, may be more pop, or even reggie influenced, but does he have to be pigeon

holed, into one style in order to be acceptable, to you? You folks that want to put everyone in a nice little catagory,

for your own comfort, amusement, or "whatever," disturb me. Some of the "Blues" masters, had almost

a "Big Band" sound, but they weren't Tommy Dorsey! MUSIC is influenced by EVERYTHING. And musicians,

true musicians, take those influences, incorporate them, into what they want to do, and DO IT! You may

not like it, or gravitate to it, but it's just as valid, as what you like! Broaden your horizons, son! Think outside

the box, for awhile...you'll be surprised what things you can learn! You may not like EC, and that's your privilege,

but to say he's not a "blues" guitarist?! Sorry...that just doesn't "wash!"

CB[/quote']

#-o[-X:-k

Man it is so much fun trashing Clapton and then watching people rant... Anyway, I never said anywhere that he is not a blues guitarist.... He is... and he is simply because that is what he is labeled by the populous....

He still sucks... :-k=;=;

Errrmm... Eric Clapton MTV Unplugged? How many excellent versions of raw blues songs are on that album? Many. It wasn't like he was just covering them either. IMO he was paying his respects to the blues artists before him for inspiring him to become what he is... a great blues artist.

I don't think "Riding with the King" and "From the Cradle" even require justification.

Clapton = Blues

#-o[-X:-k

Man it is so much fun trashing Clapton and then watching people rant... Anyway' date=' I never said anywhere that he is not a blues guitarist.... He is... and he is simply because that is what he is labeled by the populous....

He still sucks... :-k=;=; [/quote]

Oh, I see....you're just one of those folks that love to get off, on provoking others, huh?

Well, now...I'm sorry I "bit!" You're entitiled to your opinion, no matter how ill conceived, it is!

I, nor anyone else here, needs to come to EC's defence, or justification. He's takes care of

himself, quite nicely, these days. Have a nice life!

CB

Oh' date=' I see....you're just one of those folks that love to get off, on provoking others, huh?

Well, now...I'm sorry I "bit!" You're entitiled to your opinion, no matter how ill conceived, it is!

I, nor anyone else here, needs to come to EC's defence, or justification. He's takes care of

himself, quite nicely, these days. Have a nice life!

CB[/quote']

+1 Nuff said CB it's just not worth it!

CB ... Relax man.... Not once have I directed any ill will to others in this thread... I have only expressed my opinion... I am sure there are many things we can agree on besides Clapton...

You know.... maybe Eric Clapton is god... Because when you say anything negative about him, certain people go ape $h!t ](*,)[-X

He is insanely over-rated.... [-X[-X

For what EC did from the Yardbirds through Derek and the Dominoes he deserves all of the accolades thrown his way IMO. The material since is just not as compelling, but he still nails a good one now and again. Like the earlier noted BB King collaboration for one...and he's still worth seeing live. I just wish he'd ditch the damn Fenders!

Archived