Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist LP Custom or Fender American Standard Tele?

FloyDZeD

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at the J5 Telecasters a couple of nights ago. There were two versions:

One with a humbucker in the bridge position and the other sported three humbuckers. I've never heard them, but I would have to think that with the HBs, one would be able to achieve a decidedly non-Fender sound. I only guessing here though. The dealbreaker for some might be all of the chrome and the unusual headstock.

CB ... Relax man.... Not once have I directed any ill will to others in this thread... I have only expressed my opinion... I am sure there are many things we can agree on besides Clapton...

You know.... maybe Eric Clapton is god... Because when you say anything negative about him' date=' certain people go ape $h!t default_eusa_wall.gif[-X

He is insanely over-rated.... [-X[-X

OK let's play...who in your infinite wisdom is a "great blues guitarist"??[-X

OK let's play...who in your infinite wisdom is a "great blues guitarist"??[-X

Thanks for the compliment .... But I wouldn't say I have infinite wisdom.... But pretty close... ](*,)'[-X

My favorites are (best first):

Albert King

Stevie Ray Vaughn

George Thorogood

SRV was probably the most talented (IMHO).... Thorogood maybe not as talented, but I love his style... Albert just really can pull the emotion out of me with his playing...

Look... Y'all relax... I respect all you all ... whether you like Eric Clapton or not.... I just think he is way over-rated... It would be nice to get that respect back... But, if it doesn't come, I am not going change my mind to please everyone else...

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad...BUT Talk about people who CAN"T PLAY...George Thorogood is one of the worst F'n guitasrist to ever get signed ....he blows chunks compared to Clapton...wait a minute you can't even mention the 2 in the same sentence and be serious IMHO!

Well.....it's about how you state your opinion, E.C. isn't god or the greatest blues player but he has

contributed much to make blues and the old ''black'' blues players popular to a wider audience.

And for that he deserves respect, on the Crossroads DVD B.B.King pays his respect to him.

Albert King and SRV i can agree on as being great blues players.

Don't know about the other guy though.

Peter

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad...BUT Talk about people who CAN"T PLAY...George Thorogood is one of the worst F'n guitasrist to ever get signed ....he blows chunks compared to Clapton...wait a minute you can't even mention the 2 in the same sentence and be serious IMHO!

To avoid more conflict I am not going to compare GT with EC... ](*,)[-X [-X

But I will admit that George has always been a guilty pleasure of mine... I do play his versions of The Sky is Crying and Move it on Over (Hank Williams) at the Blues Jams with fairly good results....

To avoid more conflict I am not going to compare GT with EC... [-X [-X [-X

But I will admit that George has always been a guilty pleasure of mine... I do play his versions of The Sky is Crying and Move it on Over (Hank Williams) at the Blues Jams with fairly good results....

BS! I welcome others opinions and openly discuss historical blues guitarists with those who know what they are talking about. George Thorogood appeals to players who can basically hack out a 1' date='4,5 and fudge slide in an open D tuning. [-X [-X #-o](*,)[-X

We're (at least I'm totally) relaxed. You like who you like, that's cool. But, just because you don't

care for someone's style, playing, whatever...you don't need to "stir things up," just so you can have

a laugh, at the expense of those who DO like that person. That's NOT "Respect!"

Anyway...I'm the last one here, that wants ill will, from any of the members/contributors. Just reasonable

dialog, and information sharing. I'm totally OK with other's preferences, towards players. But, when you

fully admit, you love to dis "Clapton" (or anyone else), just to get a rise out of his fans, and enjoy the result...I'm sorry, that

doesn't sound very "respectful" of your fellow contributors. However, out of respect for the other members of this

forum, I think we need to get back on track, and drop this whole issue! This wasn't what this thread was about,

and I have already apologized for "biting" onto your diversion. So...let's move on, shall we?

CB

By the way what part of Maryland are you from. I grew up in Poolesville and I went to U of Md Balt. Co in Catonsville.

Montgomery County. Currently Frederick. I've got a cousin in Phoenix , builds ultralights, plays a mean Flamenco guitar as I remember. He was the one that really started me playing as a kid before he went to Vietnam !

There are just some really ignorant things being said on this thread blues.......don't bother they'll just come back with some equally ill-informed comment!=D>

Thanks LB, I have taken your advice so far as much as it kills me to keep quiet. Your statement couldn't be truer......good lookin' out bro !

I know it's not the popular belief... But I am certainly not alone...

http://www.eighttrackmind.net/words/top-10-overrated-musicians.shtml

And there is more...

Rather than insulting me, (calling me ignorant, calling me son etc... ) I think its better to say that is your opinion and I have mine... Don't you think that would be less confrontational ??

I know it's not the popular belief... But I am certainly not alone...

http://www.eighttrackmind.net/words/top-10-overrated-musicians.shtml

And there is more...

Rather than insulting me' date=' (calling me ignorant, calling me son etc... ) I think its better to say that is your opinion and I have mine... Don't you think that would be less confrontational ??[/quote']

8-[ 8-[ ](*,)' One more try :-k It's the way you express your opinion that pisses people of.

Not your opinion. Nobody is calling you names.

Personally i don't believe in polls like ''who is the best/fastest/good looking/a..hole/overrated/underrated.

Music isn't about that at all, not in my book anyway.

RESPECT :-k

Peter

Spend some time playing them all. Whatever suits your style . . . BUY IT! Sorry, but we all have our own opinions of all these guitars. You've got to make the call!

I have:

Gibson Les Paul Goldtop

Gibson L4a

Gibson Traveling Songwriter

Gibson Les Paul Custom

Epiphone Les Paul Elitist

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Epiphone G400

Fender Fat Strat

Fender Tele Custom Thinline

Fender Telecoustic

Couple of Fender 51's

Takamine Acoustic

Ovation Acoustic

Fender Jazz Bass

Gibson EB0

I play them all on different gigs. Try them out and buy what fits you!

Back to the guitar thing: The tele will probably still be available when you're as old as I am but the days of the elitist may be numbered. Something that I certainly would/have considered.

I'd say buy the elitist while you still can & get the tele later. It will still be there.

Get the Tele . . . an Am/Se Tele with a maple fretboard - the sweetest of necks!

You already have two LPs . . . down the road, if you still have GAS for an Elitist, save your $$$ for it or trade your two in for the Elitist LP - though I always regret getting rid of a guitar!

Archived