Gibson Brands Forums

SG Prophecy EX

jcwillow777

I was in the music store today to get some strings, so I thought I would drool over some guitars. They had a SG Prophecy with EMGs that caught my attention, among others. I probably wouldn't want the EMGs, more interested in the Dirty Fingers, but I was amazed at the neck. The profile is to die for. It has a satin finish, which is not my first choice, but the profile is awesome. I like a thin profile on a neck. I have 2 G-400s, a EE and U, and neither one of them has a neck that even comes close to comparing, IMO, both considerably chunkier. I didn't plug it in, but it played great like a dream, very fast neck. I wished the other G-400s had a neck like this one. If this is the way they all are, I want one, but I want the GX in Black Cherry.

I did think it was interesting when looking at the serial number that there were no letters, just numbers and it started 08.... It had a sticker on it that said made in China though.

I was amazed at the neck. The profile is to die for. It has a satin finish' date=' which is not my first choice, but the profile is awesome. I like a thin profile on a neck. I have 2 G-400s, a EE and U, and neither one of them has a neck that even comes close to comparing, IMO, both considerably chunkier.

[/quote']

Looks like they're catering to the shredder-crowd. Is it anything like an Ibanez Wizard neck-profile?

Is a G-400 neckprofile the same as on a Epi LP? '60-ish?

Looks like they're catering to the shredder-crowd. Is it anything like an Ibanez Wizard neck-profile?

Is a G-400 neckprofile the same as on a Epi LP? '60-ish?

Yeah I agree, it does look like they are catering more toward the young crowd.

I only have 2 Epi LPs, and both of them are more of a '60-ish neck. But it is narrower at the nut than my G-400s, I think 1 5/8".

The G-400s that I have are a little thicker profile than the LPs and the neck is also a little wider. It might just be that they feel thicker because the neck is wider though, I haven't actually measured them. I have smaller hands.

The Prophecy feels much more comfortable to me than the Ibanez. The Ibanez that I tried had too thin of a neck for me, and it was about the same width as the G-400.

I played it just the other day and I just wasn't feeling it ... way too hard a tone for me. I am waiting for my local GC to get the GX model in and I'll probably pick it up. I am in love with the Les Paul Prophecy GX. What a great guitar that one is!

Archived