Gibson Brands Forums

question about tube amp volume...

i'm looking into getting my first tube amp, and i was just wondering what just how powerful an amp i would need if i were planning to do small gigs (vet halls, basements, etc.)? i won't go into any specific brand names in fear of this post being deleted before anyone sees it, but i have heard good things about a particular 33W class A tube amp that is a steal if it's everything it's cracked up to be.

That depends on if you just want it to be clean, or if you intend to push it to overdrive. A 33 watt amp should give you a good amount of headroom for cleans at small to medium venues, but will probably be way too loud in those venues when pushed hard.

Ideally, if you're going to crank a tube amp to tube overdrive in venues of that size, you'll probably be looking at around 15-18 watts, although those too, will be too loud in some cases.

any time I've been sound guy, I've always mic'ed at least 1 guitar amp or patched the guitar straight into the board.

Look at the pictures of your fav band, notice those big full stacks? At least 1 has a mic in front of it.. Always the PA.

No offense, but I don't think that relates to the question. He's just asking if 33 watts is big enough for basement and small VFW club use.

Large scale concerts have virtually nothing in common with small gigs at the local VFW or basement rehearsal space.

I played country rock.. waylon to allman bros.. inc. straight rock.. with a guy using a deluxe reverb.. 22 watts..

we played to around 250 people commonly.

when we had a bigger gig he broke out his 50W marshall.

we weren't that loud.. small clubs mostlly.. halls.. and we never even used a pa except for vocals..

And he didn't like to turn his amp up past 5, so he used a compressor and a ds1.

terrible thing to do to an amp that nice just to save cheapassed tubes.

but.. 33 watts will do the job for sure.

the other guy had a twin.

I had a 2X15 150W bass cab.

i'm looking into getting my first tube amp' date=' and i was just wondering what just how powerful an amp i would need if i were planning to do small gigs (vet halls, basements, etc.)? i won't go into any specific brand names in fear of this post being deleted before anyone sees it, but i have heard good things about a particular 33W class A tube amp that is a steal if it's everything it's cracked up to be.

[/quote']

Being your first tube amp I would also consider how much clean head room one has over an other. Trying to squeeze some clean at a needed volume out of an amp that breaks up early, on stage or at home, can be darn near impossible and a miserable time. Same goes for the opposite.....one that you would want to break up early.

As far as volume goes 30 watts is plenty for both IMO...LOL...for most folks anyways.

Just my 2 cents worth anyhow.

+1 on the BC30.

You might want to look at replacing the Sovtek 6L6's with something a little more musical though (i.e anything else) as they really aren't that great. Apart from that it's a stunning amp - fantastic sound, very loud if need be & built like a tank.

after thinking about this guitarslinger and wiggy are right.

don't go below 15w.

and an amp that can switch is great; like the Epip Blues Custom or even a Traynor Custom Special 90 2x12 that switches between 90w AB and 20w A.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=391

Sorry Epip, just giving the person choices

(and remember tube amps are NOT cheap, so keep an open mind; unless you build your own, then its only slightly cheaper)

These posts are spot on. Keep it around 22-30 watts. I also played a Fender Deluxe Reverb in the clubs years ago. 22 watts. Plenty loud, and the PA did the rest. With a tube amp, turn the amp up, and work your volume controls to get your sounds - your lead playing will shine using the natural break up of the amp, and when you turn down for your clean parts, it will sound sweet. Just my 2 cents!

Recently had the BC30 at our local blues jam running alongside a cranked up Marshall Valve 50w 2x12 combo (can't remember which model) and a very loud drummer. It held it's own in 30w mode quite happily and really sang through with both s/c & h/b fitted guitars.

Only criticism is that when you're really driving it towards it's limits there's not much extra headroom on the 2nd channel for solos.

Other than that everyone was blown away with it.

If they'd made it a 15W A 50W A/B combo it's be the perfect gigging amp.

We regularly use our 5Watt VJr at the gigs in a Big club... I just mic' it through the PA... That way , I can turn it up where it sounds sweet and still be louder than the drummer... stage monitors let All the band hear your sparkling solos...hahahaha

im not too sure what sort of money you are looking to spend, but i would definately suggest the Fender Hot Rod series. I just bought the Hot Rod Deville 212 which is 60 watts, which would be more than enough for what you're doing. But the Hot Rod Deluxe is an unreal 40 watt amp with so much versatility. I found that a lot of tube amps on the market are sort of restricted to giving out one specific sound, but the Hot Rod series is so versatile, I play hardcore punk rock with it using my Les Paul, then can switch over to my Telecaster and its able to continue to belt out an awesome tone no matter what style u play. just food for thought

Archived