Gibson Brands Forums

split coils on your Epiphone LP Junior or xxx... wiring diagrams

Steven Lister

Over the weekend I did the single coil/humbucker split mod on my single humbucker guitar. I had already upgraded to a GFS vintage 59. Now on three days try-out, I am thrilled with the results and can recommend the mod for anyone who wants to add dimension to any single humbucker guitar. Other mods (out-of-phase, north/south coil polarity, etc.) can give different effects.

WIRING DIAGRAMS: (these terrific folks have given us free, usable, simple to follow how-to's)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1wiringdiagrams/

After searching the web and finding multiple incorrect diagrams, I found the above site very worthwhile and worthy to pass on to forum members.

Diagrams for 1-3 pickups and for any guitar type. I know I'm going to show them a little appreciation with my next hardware purchase.

Have fun everybody....

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I have a split on the neck vintage 59 in my dot, great to mix with the mean 90.

With a treble boost, bridge tone at 10, neck at 8, and an open G tuning, it can sound quite a bit like a tele.

I like to use push/pulls as a kind of way to make a guitar be a mokingbird of sorts.

Over the weekend I did the single coil/humbucker split mod on my single humbucker guitar. I had already upgraded to a GFS vintage 59. Now on three days try-out' date=' I am thrilled with the results and can recommend the mod for anyone who wants to add dimension to any single humbucker guitar. Other mods (out-of-phase, north/south coil polarity, etc.) can give different effects.

[b']WIRING DIAGRAMS[/b]: (these terrific folks have given us free, usable, simple to follow how-to's)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1wiringdiagrams/

After searching the web and finding multiple incorrect diagrams, I found the above site very worthwhile and worthy to pass on to forum members.

Diagrams for 1-3 pickups and for any guitar type. I know I'm going to show them a little appreciation with my next hardware purchase.

Have fun everybody....

hey, thanks alot. i've been looking for a wiring diagram for the single coil(n)/hb/single coil(s) everywhere... finally i got it.

i'm going to use the one push/pull pot for volume/tone mod for a junior i have with a mean 90 and add a kill switch. i think that will be awesome.

another thing i want to do is get a fat paf from guitarfetish and use the multisounds mod http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUH5R0001

just one question... do i need to do anything to the pickup in order for this to work?

thnx

A little ingenuity goes a long way when it comes to widening the tonal gamut of a single-pickup guitar. A coil tap is probably the best thing to have but there are other interesting tricks that have been tried over the years. The Ampeg Dan Armstrong was also a single-pickup axe (Dan did not feel there was any point in having a second pickup unless it could be aligned at the harmonic point and since the DA had a 24-fret neck this was impossible) so they added a toggle switch for some added flexibility. In the center position it was 'off'; but you could flick it back for a total treble cut or you could flick it forward for a volume bypass. Set your rhythm volume level with the volume pot and then hit that switch for a searing solo, baby!

just one question... do i need to do anything to the pickup in order for this to work?

Nothing. According to the GFS wiring guide' date=' their fat paf (and all other humbuckers) are five wire leads. The 5th wire is the shielded ground. The red/white wire is your coil split connect.

An Epiphone forum search produced no results for the coil split mod. I found four others on the web that were either wrong or incomplete, so... I knew there had to be other members in need of this info. Glad to help.

[i']...right as usual RotcanX[/i]. My guitar does not have a toggle switch so I used a push/pull DPDT pot. However, I may tweak it even more by adding an on/on/on or on/off/on toggle b/c I would like to try out the reverse phase mod along with this setup.

Pups with asymmetrical windings are also fun to split, gives you all these options(and any combinations) in one pickup:

Front coil

Rear coil

Both coils parallel(normal humbucker)

Both coils series

Reverse phase (you can get even more combos if you put a reverse phase for either coil, so you can have one reversed, other normal, etc.)

If I knew the algorithm to get number of combinations, I'd put it here.

AND, if you're either winding your own pickups, or modding pickups, you can put a coil tap(NOT THE SAME AS COIL SPLIT) somewhere in, to reduce the number of windings engaged, and therefore the output of the pickup, and increasing brightness. Even more fun with all the other combinations. And then there's volume/tone bypass, putting each coil on it's own volume/tone, really, you can do A LOT with one humbucker, if you wanna put the work into it.

Nothing. According to the GFS wiring guide' date=' their fat paf (and all other humbuckers) are five wire leads. The 5th wire is the shielded ground. The red/white wire is your coil split connect.

An Epiphone forum search produced no results for the coil split mod. I found four others on the web that were either wrong or incomplete, so... I knew there had to be other members in need of this info. Glad to help.

[i']...right as usual RotcanX[/i]. My guitar does not have a toggle switch so I used a push/pull DPDT pot. However, I may tweak it even more by adding an on/on/on or on/off/on toggle b/c I would like to try out the reverse phase mod along with this setup.

i was asking because in the seymour duncan diagrams say that for a prs type of wiring you have to reverse magnets... i think that is only if you use both pickups, but i really don't know

Archived