Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom 3 way switch

old rock

Does anyone know if the 3 way switch on a 2004 Epi LP Custom is the typical Treble, Both, Rhythm control. I bought the guitar used so I don't know if the switch configuration is different than other guitars. My switch is ok with either the treble or the rhythm position but in the "both" position it still plays only the treble (bridge) pickup. Is that normal for a Custom?

My switch is ok with either the treble or the rhythm position but in the "both" position it still plays only the treble (bridge) pickup. Is that normal for a Custom?

No. Have you checked if the neck pickup is working in the switch' middle position?(just tap it)

Usually the Custom has a special switch with extra contacts compared to a regular three-way. The extra contacts connect the middle pickup to the bridge pickup circuit. The way it's supposed to work is Treble = bridge pickup; Center = bridge and middle pickups; Rhythm = neck pickup. The middle pickup 'piggybacks' on the bridge pickup's volume and tone controls:

LPCustom_standard_circuitdiagram.jpg

The do it a little differently on the G-400 Custom (I think they had to because the Custom switch won't fit); they use a regular three-way switch and the middle pickup is always 'on'. They give you three volumes so that you can dial the middle pickup out of the mix with its own volume control.

According to the info you guys supplied, the middle position should allow both pickups to play simultaneously. Mine will not so it might be a bad switch or wiring connection. Should be an easy fix. The diagram will help a lot.

Thanks guys.

Archived