Gibson Brands Forums

Info on B.B.King Lucille pickups

lostindesert

I installed a Gotoh bridge(GE103B) and tailpiece(GE101Z) on my Lucille today.

Curious about the pickups i did have a look at them.

Little sticker: RoHS Compliant

Stamped: F Epiphone (bridge pu large 'H')

Large sticker: 57 CH (G)

DOT : neck, bridge

LP : neck

BHK

57 CH(G) stands for 57 Classic Humbucker (gold) or CH is China ?

What does BHK mean ?

Thanx for any help,

Peter

As I understand it, the CH stands for Classic Humbucker. They are probably made wherever your guitar was made. The pickups are supposedly based on the Gibson 57 Classic but in practice are considerably muddier. Not terrible but could be a lot better. People have good experience in changing these for GFS or Seymour Duncans (if you want to spend a little more) or real Gibsons if you want to spend a lot more (whether you get any more as opposed to a GFS or SD is very debateable -- and people have at length). I replaced these pickups from my Sheraton with GFS Retrotron Liverpool Alnico Classics. Big Improvement so far.

As I understand it' date=' the CH stands for Classic Humbucker. They are probably made wherever your guitar was made. The pickups are supposedly based on the Gibson 57 Classic but in practice are considerably muddier. Not terrible but could be a lot better. People have good experience in changing these for GFS or Seymour Duncans (if you want to spend a little more) or real Gibsons if you want to spend a lot more (whether you get any more as opposed to a GFS or SD is very debateable -- and people have at length). I replaced these pickups from my Sheraton with GFS Retrotron Liverpool Alnico Classics. Big Improvement so far.[/quote']

Thanx dbirchett,

This Lucille is from the Saein plant in Korea ser.no. I06070069, the pickups ain't bad, better then the stock pu's

in 2 Sheraton II's and 2 Les Paul Standards i once owned.

I fitted one LP with SD jazz and J.B. buckers and the other with DiMarzio ToneZone and AirNorton.

Never seen GFS here in Holland, you people talk alot about these.

On my Lucille i think i go for SD Seth Lover pu's.

Peter

Thanx dbirchett' date='

This Lucille is from the Saein plant in Korea ser.no. I06070069, the pickups ain't bad, better then the stock pu's

in 2 Sheraton II's and 2 Les Paul Standards i once owned.

I fitted one LP with SD jazz and J.B. buckers and the other with DiMarzio ToneZone and AirNorton.

Never seen GFS here in Holland, you people talk alot about these.

On my Lucille i think i go for SD Seth Lover pu's.

Peter[/quote']

I had the same experience with my Lucille for the brief time I had it. The PUs were better than I have heard in any Dot I have owned or even my Supernova. I also own a Jorma and had until recently a Gibson satin 335, both guitars compared well to the Gibson.

My Supernova though I have read reviews saying it has good PUs I can say that mine sounds like every Dot I have owned and is not as nice as the Jorma or Lucille, but it's blue and I like it.

Archived