Gibson Brands Forums

gibson 490r 490t specs?

Stevie Nazarenie

i'm looking for some info on them. they seem to be top secret though! i do like the sound from them. a little more crack, sparkle and clarity over epi g400 pickups. i'd like to know why they have the denomination r and t. as i'm sure i found something yesterday that said they had the same number of winds. i'm really wanting to why i shouldn't just use the r in the t position?:-

i'm looking for some info on them. they seem to be top secret though! i do like the sound from them. a little more crack' date=' sparkle and clarity over epi g400 pickups. i'd like to know why they have the denomination r and t. as i'm sure i found something yesterday that said they had the same number of winds. i'm really wanting to why i shouldn't just use the r in the t position?:- [/quote']

R = Rhythm (neck) and T = treble (bridge), i think they're about 8k ohms in output with Alnico magnets.

Measure the distance between the polepieces under the high and low E strings.

If r is closer like 50mm and t is 52mm you know where to put them.

On my Epi Lucille the neck pu is 50mm and bridge is 52mm, this has to do with string spacing.

peter

i'd like to know why they have the denomination r and t. as i'm sure i found something yesterday that said they had the same number of winds. i'm really wanting to why i shouldn't just use the r in the t position?:-s

As Peter said allready.

Pickups often come in sets. They need to be balanced for output by making the bridge PU a bit hotter(amplitude of strings is higher towards the middle' date=' so with 2 identical PUs, the neck-PU is producing more signal).

Also the bridge polepieces may be compensated for a wider stringspacing.

R and T(as in Rhythm and Treble) is the Gibson designation for neck- and bridge-PU.

You [i']can[/i] use an R-PU in the T position no problem as long as the polepieces line up.

You can use an R-PU in the T position no problem as long as the polepieces line up.

Gibson 57 Classics are all the same; they're are used in either position. So pole piece alignment must not be quite as critical as one might think.

Gibson 57 Classics are all the same; they're are used in either position. So pole piece alignment must not be quite as critical as one might think.

True. Frankly I think it's overrated, and just something rail-PU manufacturers may want you to believe...

The slanted position of the EVH Frankenstein PU was probably completely useless, but heck did it add to the myth...

Could be it's less critical(or apparent) with lower output PUs. The Classic'57 and 490R are approx. 7.7KO, the 490T approx. 7.9KO.

• 2 weeks later...

it's kind of odd. i had 2 pickups in my sg from 87. i measured some other pickups and saw that they are indeed wider at the bridge. but my 2 are the same. one is dead unless i'm doing something wrong. i added my own wire because the braid was no good. sheild to the base plate and the other to a red wire that was the hot braided one. very low output if any. anyway i had the neck pickup in the bridge and it was way hot just like i wanted. in the neck it doesn't seem so hot though. i have a power rail coming soon from my sister so i will see what i see!:D/ a little birthday pressie. it may be a good combo.

While it doesn't give absolute output' date=' here's Gibson's chart of comparative output between their pickups

[img']http://www.gibson.com/files/_gear/pickups_output-chart.jpg[/img]

That's a really interesting chart. I'm also noting the wide different between the 490r and 498t. Never knew that. (and, the Burstbuckers are matched slightly closer.)

I knew the Angus Young was hot...but sheesh....it's not even close to the 500T or the Dirty Fingers...

• 6 years later...
it's not even close to the 500T or the Dirty Fingers...

They are quite hot. On a more normal humbucker, I have to use a boost pedal to get into the same range of the Dirty Fingers or 500T. All that early-stage gain at my fingertips takes things to the next level. I'm going to say they're my favorite pups. The 500t sounds like it has more low-end growl, but that could be because it's on a Les Paul, while the DF is on my ES339.

They are quite hot. On a more normal humbucker, I have to use a boost pedal to get into the same range of the Dirty Fingers or 500T. All that early-stage gain at my fingertips takes things to the next level. I'm going to say they're my favorite pups. The 500t sounds like it has more low-end growl, but that could be because it's on a Les Paul, while the DF is on my ES339.

You do realise this topic is more than 6 years old, right.

You do realise this topic is more than 6 years old, right.

My post was relevant, as I'm using these "old" pickups today. You hypocritically bumped this "old" thread just to complain.

That's what I get for using the search function, huh? If the thread hasn't been closed, it is open for discussion. Any other rules are made up in your head and only apply to yourself, so your complaints will be ignored. Carry on.

Archived