Gibson Brands Forums

Can Anyone Tell Me If This Is a Real Epiphone Or Not?

bobbyd0813

Check out this link below, i just bought this guitar off ebay and now im having worries that its not an authetic epiphone, please respond asap! Notice the chrome hardware instead of the chrome, the gibson truss rod cover, and the tuners. Is any of this stuff authentic. I know the newest one has gold hardware, grover tuners, and a truss rod cover that says les paul custom. Were the older versions of this guitar different. Some one please inform me on the authenticity of this guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus Top

How can you tell that its pre 2002? And does it not concern you that the hardware is not gold like the new ones? Was the hardware not gold in the pre 2002 models and also the tuners. Were grover tuners only used on post 2002 models. Thank you so much for your response. Just hearing you say that it looks good to you took alot off my chest. Keep ensuring me its authentic. Thank you so much.

I'm not sure about the silver hardware for that particular model, though some Customs have used it before, but yes prior to Gibson opening their own factory in China in 2002 the tuners and truss rod cover were as shown on your guitar. All Epiphones based on Gibson designs used that cover up until then. When Gibson started making them at the new factory, they changed some of the details, model specific truss rod covers, Grovers across the board, etc.

How can you tell that its pre 2002? And does it not concern you that the hardware is not gold like the new ones? Was the hardware not gold in the pre 2002 models and also the tuners. Were grover tuners only used on post 2002 models. Thank you so much for your response. Just hearing you say that it looks good to you took alot off my chest. Keep ensuring me its authentic. Thank you so much.
My guess is that around '02 is when Epiphone stopped using trussrod covers with the Gibson name on them .... just a guess, as my '99 Epi has Gibson trc, my '07 Epi has Epi trc

*eidit* EpiEric beat me to it, with a better explanation ...

I'm not sure about the silver hardware for that particular model, though some Customs have used it before, but yes prior to Gibson opening their own factory in China in 2002 the tuners and truss rod cover were as shown on your guitar. All Epiphones based on Gibson designs used that cover up until then. When Gibson started making them at the new factory, they changed some of the details, model specific truss rod covers, Grovers across the board, etc.

I would liket to agree with you' date=' but its says chrome hardware in the description and also i dont think every little bit of gold would be warn off but i wish you were right lol.[/quote']

Well, unless you bought it, it's moot now, 'cause it auction's over.

But, if you look on the photo, there's a bit of gold left on the bridge,

and tailpiece, in the groves and edges....around the turning keys, too.

That's pretty typical, for the older Epi's, especially. The "gold" (not real gold) plating was

quite thin, and wore off, very quickly. Now, they may have changed

the pickup covers, or some such, but I (feel) it's just that the gold has

worn away. But...only he and the new buyer will know, for sure, I guess? LOL!

CB

You're answering your own question. The non-Grover tuners make it pre-2002. The gold is just worn off, dude. It's not real gold anyway, just yellow-tinted plating. The TRCs didn't change until 2004 FYI.

only thing odd I noticed as mentioned by others was the "LP-Coustom" sticker which I have never seen on any guitar, perhaps that was a guitar shop sticker and not one from the factory... As some others say, really is best to try and buy from reputable dealers whether online or in person..

I don't mean to offend anyone' date=' but Jesus H Christ! People who buy $h!t and [b']then[/b] start asking questions never cease to amaze me.

If you're afraid of getting burned, then do your homework BEFORE you commit to buy something...](*,)

This behaviour, however, is typical of GAS syndrome=p~ ... that lets him off the hook..

I don't mean to offend anyone' date=' but Jesus H Christ! People who buy $h!t and [b']then[/b] start asking questions never cease to amaze me.

If you're afraid of getting burned, then do your homework BEFORE you commit to buy something...](*,)

Hmm...We have to get a degree in determining fake Epiphones first?

It's not that easy for the novice buyer anymore. The guitar looks very legit to me.

Archived