Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Fingers: old vs. new

MGrd

I'm thinking about to swap the bridge 490T with a Dirty Fingers on my SG Special.

Maybe I have the opportunity to get a Dirty Fingers from 1979 (or 1978).

Is there any difference between the old and the new ones soundwise?

Especially regarding the output/gain.

I know the new ones are wax potted but this can be done to the old one, too.

There would probably be some difference in tone and output due to the age of the pickup. Slightly different materials are probably used now, and the magnets do age and lose some of their strength giving a warmer tone to the pickup. An old one would still be a lot hotter than the 490, so if the price is good I would say go for it and try it. But, without actually having the pickup in hand and metering it, it is impossible to say how it would sound next to a new one. Don't worry about the magnet going so weak that you have a poor sounding pickup. The original PAFs have been around for over 50 years now and still have about the same output as the did originally, but they have some additional warmth to them gained through the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up:

I bought the Dirty Fingers from 1979 and the result is very good.

It pushes the SG really forward by being both aggressive and full sounding.

I have to wax it though since I get feedback.

• 5 years later...

I'm thinking about to swap the bridge 490T with a Dirty Fingers on my SG Special.

Maybe I have the opportunity to get a Dirty Fingers from 1979 (or 1978).

Is there any difference between the old and the new ones soundwise?

Especially regarding the output/gain.

I know the new ones are wax potted but this can be done to the old one, too.

The dirty fingers is a very loud pickup, and I would recommend it for hard rock and metal, but not for anything clean unless you are using a compressor!!! I used to have an original DF that i took out of my 84 explorer but the pickup was stolen by my drummer (he gave it to his kid!!!) but when i had it, it would send a clean channel into overdrive (tube amp) and the overdrive channel was just amazing...

• 3 months later...

Archived