Gibson Brands Forums

My new Lucill....er....Sheraton

JefferySmith

Sheraton.jpg

Hmmm...maybe I'll try another picture when it isn't so bright outside. The same problem happens with shiny black Rolls Royces.

To show you where my priorities are, the red spray paint on the front of my house is left over from when the SPCA sprayed a message on my house that they couldn't catch and rescue my cats during Katrina. I'll get around to painting the front of the house some day.

Jeff' date=' that is beautiful. They are such nice guitars. I guess mine is an older brother as it comes from Unsung as well. You are going to have to change your avatar now.[/quote']

As soon as Faye comes by tomorrow and darkens the sunlight a bit, I'll try to get a few shots for an Avatar...that don't show the reflections of my entire 'hood.

Hmmm...maybe I'll try another picture when it isn't so bright outside. The same problem happens with shiny black Rolls Royces.

Yeah, I just can't get a good pic of my shiny black Rolls....

Pretty guitar. I think your priorities are fine, especially since you are staying in Naw'lins.

Three words: BLACK SPEED KNOBS

Let the mods begin. Pickguard' date=' anyone?[/quote']

Speed knobs first. Knowing how fumble-fingered I am, I'm thinking of getting a knob puller from Stewart_McDonald, along with about 40 speed knobs of different colors and hues. After that, I'll go for about 4-5 tortoise shell and a few black 335-shaped pickguards. I'm a bit iffy about the latter. Something makes me think I should remove all of the pickguards and send them all to the pickguard-making place, to be sure they are a perfect fit.

which reminds me.. am I the only one who likes the sheri guard shape?

I think it follows the lines of the guitar better..

but.. gold or black knobs on that one.. I'd say.

black chrome pups with gold mounting rings?

(might as well have fun suggesting, it's not mine!)

or.. since I not only like the guard shape. and would keep the mulit ply binding on it if I could..

black chrome knobs with tortoise inserts to match the tortoise guard..

ufo style with pointers in gold..

TWANG

and grover tuners with the imperial knobs but regular grover on the back.. fit right in.. way classy!

which reminds me.. am I the only one who likes the sheri guard shape?

I think it follows the lines of the guitar better..

but.. gold or black knobs on that one.. I'd say.

black chrome pups with gold mounting rings?

(might as well have fun suggesting' date=' it's not mine!)

or.. since I not only like the guard shape. and would keep the mulit ply binding on it if I could..

black chrome knobs with tortoise inserts to match the tortoise guard..

ufo style with pointers in gold..

TWANG

and grover tuners with the imperial knobs but regular grover on the back.. fit right in.. way classy!

[/quote']

I don't mind the pickguards, but they just look a bit foreign to me after being so accustomed to the less fancy Gibson pickguards.

I ordered a dozen black, a dozen gold, and a dozen amber speed dials. I may go with black, or will gold, or maybe a combination (never tried that before, but it could help me remember which knob does what).

Wow, that's a beauty! You could use it as a signal mirror if you had to. LOL

Did any of your cats survive?

Glad your house is still there, who cares about some red paint? (says the guy with about 6 half finished (de)construction projects making his property an eyesore)

Wow' date=' that's a beauty! You could use it as a signal mirror if you had to. LOL

Did any of your cats survive?

Glad your house is still there, who cares about some red paint? (says the guy with about 6 half finished (de)construction projects making his property an eyesore)[/quote']

The cats both survived despite temperatures in the house that probably got up to 110F. After more than a month locked up in the house, they were skinny, flea-ridden, and neurotic. But they are now back to normal (i.e., only one of them is neurotic).

The cats both survived despite temperatures in the house that probably got up to 110F. After more than a month locked up in the house' date=' they were skinny, flea-ridden, and neurotic. But they are now back to normal (i.e., only one of them is neurotic).[/quote']

That's good to hear. The human tragedy aside, the animal one was equally horrible. Very good to hear your critters and property survived that clusterf***.

Another thing, if you wanted it more "Lucille" like, you could have a Vari-tone added.

I'm not saying it's necessary, just a possibility. And since you have the other "USA" Sheri's,

you can afford to "mod" a bit, here and there! I concure with Twang, about the Grover tuners

with the "Imperial" tuning buttons. I did that (just changed the buttons, that is), to my USA Sheri,

and it looks outstanding! They also come in black, real pearl, and simulated pearl, as well. So...

CB

Another thing' date=' if you wanted it more "Lucille" like, you could have a Vari-tone added.

I'm not saying it's necessary, just a possibility. And since you have the other "USA" Sheri's,

you can afford to "mod" a bit, here and there! I concure with Twang, about the Grover tuners

with the "Imperial" tuning buttons. I did that (just changed the buttons, that is), to my USA Sheri,

and it looks outstanding! They also come in black, real pearl, and simulated pearl, as well. So...

CB[/quote']

I would do that if I had a good luthier down here. But the dude is a bit of a screwball (remember the machine heads on my Dot going in different directions?), and a simple setup takes about 4-5 weeks. In San Diego, there was a place called the Blue Guitar that did mods that were incredibly well done and done in about a week. Some people take the "Big Easy" thing just a bit too far.

Well, I bet you can find one, there...with a bit of research. I can't imagine a place, as full of "The Blues," as New Orleans is, that wouldn't have several great luthier/repair persons. Isn't there a great little "Mom and Pop," guitar shop anywhere around there, that might give you some referrals? Or, was everyone either wiped out, or just plain discouraged about starting back up, after Katrina? Such a tragedy, on so MANY levels, huh?

CB

Two of three houses are either abandoned or razed. International Vintage Guitars was spared, being located about 200 yards from the famous Convention Center. There is a luthier named Jimmy Foster who makes jazz guitars in Metairie. But his hands are full as I think he makes them singlehandedly (for $4.5K a pop).

AvalonSide.jpg

Archived