Gibson Brands Forums

Close to Vintage Sheraton 1991?

BlueLesPaul2006

Hey all I just got a 1991 Sheraton through a trade. this thing is sweet, its 17 years old close to vintage. vintage is 20y/o I think. I do not know how to post pictures so if someone can tell me I will post some pics. It is a beauty and I'm looking forward to getting some playing time on this. This is my first semi-hollow and I love the sound. :-/

Does that mean that it was probably made by Samick? Might be interesting to have a thread to post which years models such as Sheratons were made in which factory.

Played an '89 Sheraton that was quite special but I could say the same thing about my '07.

No offense BLP but for me a vintage Sheraton is one that was made in Kalamzoo in the late '50s or '60s. The others will never be vintage regardless of their age. Time might change that but probably not. But then, that's just me. YMMV.

Does that mean that it was probably made by Samick? Might be interesting to have a thread to post which years models such as Sheratons were made in which factory.

Played an '89 Sheraton that was quite special but I could say the same thing about my '07.

No offense BLP but for me a vintage Sheraton is one that was made in Kalamzoo in the late '50s or '60s. The others will never be vintage regardless of their age. Time might change that but probably not. But then' date=' that's just me. YMMV.[/quote']

You are right it is probably not vintage but I'm not sure. I do know that my 1969 Grammer is vintage being almost 40 y/o. I have no idea what factory this was made. I would post some pictures for you all to check it out but I do not know how to post pics on here.

I put it on myself. http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3790

Was it worth it? It cost me about $120 with shipping. But I like the look, feel, tone and the vibrato ability so, yeah, I would say that it was worth it for me. The other guitar player in my band has a natural Sheraton of similar vintage to yours (I think a little older -- Great guitar) and he couldn't be bothered with a Bigsby so it definitely wouldn't be worth it for him.

They are harder to restring and, even under the best of conditions, they don't hold tuning as well as the non-Bigsby model. But that is just the price I pay. Over the last 43 years I have owned 5 non-fender guitars and 4 have had Bigsbys. I like 'em. Many people don't.

Lovely! HNGD!! I'm quite sure you'll grow increasingly fond of it' date=' the more you play it.

Amazing guitars...

CB[/quote']

I have had this since Saturday and I love it. I might change the pups to get more of that jazz sound, but the look and feel are great. The tone that comes from this is great. I'm so happy I traded one of my Les Paul for this great deal!

I have had this since Saturday and I love it. I might change the pups to get more of that jazz sound' date=' but the look and feel are great. The tone that comes from this is great. I'm so happy I traded one of my Les Paul for this great deal![/quote']

The Sheraton is my favorite semi-hollowbody (of the solid central block variety).

I have had this since Saturday and I love it. I might change the pups to get more of that jazz sound' date=' but the look and feel are great. The tone that comes from this is great. I'm so happy I traded one of my Les Paul for this great deal![/quote']

Yeah, a good friend of mine has that same year of Sheri (his is black), and he put in Gibby's 57's,

(changed pots and selector switch, while he was at it) and has never looked back. He didn't hate

the original pickups, at all...but just wanted the tone of the Gibson's. It sounds amazing!

CB

No offense BLP but for me a vintage Sheraton is one that was made in Kalamzoo in the late '50s or '60s. The others will never be vintage regardless of their age. Time might change that but probably not. But then' date=' that's just me. YMMV.[/quote']

people said the same about 70's & early 80's Fenders, now look at the prices those go for. In about 5 years time you will start seeing late 80's and early 90's Fenders start going up in price as they reach the vintage age. Just a side note - I bought a 1981 Ibanez Artist Ar500 in the mid 90's in Australia for $600 (everyone told me that Japanese guitars would never be seen as collectible or vintage) I sold that guitar last year for $2700 (granted I did sell it in Australia where guitar prices are twice as high than in the USA). Moral of the story- no one can really predict really what will happen with a quality guitar in the future, regardless of the country it is manufactured in.

Archived