Gibson Brands Forums

Changing the pickups for a G400, any advice?

RayKnight

frank zappa played blues and jazz.. on an sg.

there are ways to get to what you want, and pickups are the first place to go.

consider what your fave players in blues and jazz are using..

sure, most jazzers have a big box.. but not all. and lots of great blues has come off the sg..

PAF type pickups are probably your first look.. good versions of what you have in it.

I sell Kent Armstrong so you know I have to mention them.

but there are lots of good pups out there.

consider cap variations for your tone controls, and think about decent pots. cts or alphas..

consider humbuck size p90s. lots of blues there.. less jazz, at least in recent years. but still very nice warm pickups.

I always thought the stock '57s humbuckers in the G-400 made for great blues and jazz tones. The bridge pick-up is great for that dirty delta electric blues sound, while the neck pick-up is great for jazz. But it all depends on your taste, style, and amp. To be honest with you, I didn't think the "Blues Driver" pedal sounded very good at all when I tried it. I can get the same types of tones without it.

Good luck

I always thought the stock '57s humbuckers in the G-400 made for great blues and jazz tones. The bridge pick-up is great for that dirty delta electric blues sound' date=' while the neck pick-up is great for jazz. But it all depends on your taste, style, and amp. To be honest with you, I didn't think the "Blues Driver" pedal sounded very good at all when I tried it. I can get the same types of tones without it.

Good luck[/quote']

As tough as it is for me to say it, the Blues Driver does suck on my G400. I'm not sure if it is caused by my amp or my G400 or if the pedal doesn't get along well with my guitar.

What kind of pedal would you recommend though?

I'm looking at some Seymour Duncan P90, any comments on that one? And I can't get a Bluesy sound on my guitar with the stock pickup. It's some Alnico Classic Humbuckers, could you explain the difference of it the humbuckers I get ARE indeed the '57s humbuckers?

Using a Vox Valvetronix amp, my completely stock G400 puts out absolutely beautiful blues tones.

For sweet(ish) singing Chicago Blues tones I use the neck p'up and model a Fender Twin Reverb amp.

For something a lil nastier (think Billy Gibbons) I use the bridge p'up and model the Dumble O'drive Special amp.

Cut the tone down to about 6 and the volume to about the same.

........................works for me, without swapping pickups.

I bought the Blues Driver from Boss but since my guitar ain't built for Blues' date=' it's kind of wasted. And I doubt the G400 is for Blues and Jazz so is there a way for me to modify it to sound like that?[/quote']

Blues, jazz or whatever can be played with any guitar IMO....just have to learn to make different faces depending on what gender you be in :)

Although my G-400 doesn't get any play time now a days, but when it did I had to lower the neck PU on it qite a bit, actually allot, to help tame the booming sound I was getting out off the neck pickup from the two bottom end strings.

I was thinking on dropping a set of '57s in it (btw and fwiw....mine's is a '94 MIK still stock), but I have another guitar with them so I never botherd.

If you're wanting to swap pickups out of your axe I'd try out different guitars if posible, regardless of price tags, just to at least get you a "BALL PARK" idea of what they sound like....or direction to go. You're going to get allot of great advice, but keep in mind that individual tastes vary.

As far as a "STOCK" BD-2....IMO sounds great as long as you don't add any gain to it with an amp at low volumes....real harsh. Pushing a tube amp over the edge (which btw this is how they work best...OD pedals) it's not bad at all I don't think.

There's a few mods out for the BD-2 that seem to make quite an improvement to this pedal...just from reading reviews though, my BD-2 is still stock. Check the web, lots of stuff out there on this....some as simple as just clipping a couple of diodes. BTW....some pedals might sound great at home but horrible on stage, and vice versa. Might want to keep that in mind when doing the pedal demo thing and/or getting advice.

Regardles, and just my thoughts, but pedals vary so much from one pedal to another, especially with OD and distortions, I'm afraid there's just no way out of getting to do the demo thing...man o' man wouldn't it be nice though.

At any rate I play blues and jazz with my SG all the time and it sounds great.....gots to learn to make the faces :- .

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth.

thread highjacked. carefull or no one gets out alive! where is the smiley with a gun?:-/ close enough?

has anyone put a power rail at the bridge on a g400? i really want mine to be all powerfull. i've heard they are good for cleans too though. i'm willing to waste the lolly on it. who will i be acdc or megadeath?

Archived