Gibson Brands Forums

Post pictures of your Les Paul

BlueLesPaul2006

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Emg's how does that sound? I have not seen a 3 pickup EMG setup before.

That was my own design....it was the 81/85 setup with an extra 81 in the middle on a blend pot to bring it in any switch position. The guy I sold it to loves it! The factory 3 pickup LP classics were kinda rare.

Here's all the guitars I had until recently, when I went on a selling/trading spree, LOL... I wish I had pics of all the guitars I used to own, but this is what I have right now. I'm going to try to snap shots of my current lineup later tonight or tomorrow, but until then, here's some of my past favorites:

My blue Epi Standard - Custom ordered covered Jazz/JB combo pickups, added gibson pickup rings and metal jack plate, and the chrome dome knobs:

69213556xo3.jpg

My Limited Edition Epi Natural Custom, with Jazz and JB with gold polepiece screws. Also changed out jackplate for a metal Gibson one, think that was it for mods on this one: (This is the one I'm playing in my avatar, when I had the band logo decal on it)

49298113qd5.jpg

My Epi Les Paul Baritone... JB in the bridge position. Rewired with individual volume controls, eliminating the tone knob. This one went through about 4 different mod incarnations... it had a decepticon logo decal behind the bridge for a while, then it got the same band logo decal as the natty one, at one point I had made a custom pickguard out of African Padouk, and a truss rod cover to match. This pic was after I stripped the decal back off to sell it.

34015383hh3.jpg

My Epi Korina Explorer... this one had all the hardware swapped out for Gibson hardware, plus the standard Duncan Jazz/JB combo. Gibson case, too. Hated selling this one, it sounded phenominal... I just couldn't ever get comfortable playing it, I'm too used to a carved top these days.

56633786yj8.jpg

I'll post the ones I have now in just a bit. :-({|=

Ayush, you kept the stickers on the pickups? Any particular reason, or did you just get it?

Anyway, here's my current arsenal, LOL...

First, my current favorite, my Chinese counterfeit Gibson Custom... Obviously, I had to do some serious work to it when I got it. The guy I bought it from had put a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge, but the neck pup was still the unbelievably cheap chinese factory pickup. That thing was so cheap, the chrome pickup cover was just chromed plastic, and was only held in place by the pole screws. When I took those out to investigate the inside of the pickup, one of the coils actually fell out of the pickup! O:) Anyway, I ordered a matched, prewired set of 500k pots and decent caps, dropped in all new wiring, from jack to pickups. New switch, new wire, all the cloth and braided push-back type. Pickups are older Gibson Burstbuckers, a 1 at the neck and a 2 at the bridge. Replaced the truss rod cover with an actual Gibson one. Blank for now, I still haven't decided if I want to order a normal Les Paul Custom one, or have one made that says "Les Paul COUNTERFEIT". Also replaced the pickup selector ring with real deal Gibby. The craftsmanship on the installed ones was pure garbage, as expected. 3 ply, non beveled TRC, anyone? Hideous. Anyway, after a new nut was cut and installed, the frets leveled, crowned, polished, and a decent setup put on it, it actually plays and feels at least up to par with an Epi, if not quite a Gibson. And the inlay on the neck is what sold me... that's just cool. Ordered the chrome/abalone knobs to match the inlay work and help tie it to the rest of the guitar. At this point, it's not even worth what I've put into it, but it's a really cool, quirky piece, and I love it. I don't think I would ever sell it, nor would I trade it for an authentic Gibson.

10780700ji4.jpg

30913161sx7.jpg

35749321ft5.jpg

Notice how the Gibson logo is slightly misplaced, and the Custom parallelogram is too small and off center... the headstock binding is wrong too, it's actually the same size as the body binding, where it should be much smaller in height when you look from the side. (Not really visible in this pic, I can post more if anybody is interested...)

10dr0.jpg

Here's my only Epi at the moment, but I'm sure I'll end up with at least a few more. This one's a plain top Standard in honeyburst. You can't really tell in these pics, but the finish is a bit greener than it's supposed to be... it has a really odd hue to it. That's what drew me to this one in the store, it just looked... off. As soon as I picked it up, I knew I had to buy it, I could tell just from the weight. It's nice and heavy, like I like 'em. I never even plucked a string... picked it off the wall, felt the weight, and handed it to the salesman, with a hearty "I'll take it!" Pretty much stock, aside from the pup swap to Duncan '59s. The knobs got swapped out from amber to gold. Subtle change, but they match the color of the body now almost perfectly. Again, kinda hard to see in these pics...

14ms0.jpg

15pk3.jpg

16zc5.jpg

And I posted these in my Bigsby thread, but I'll put them here too... this is my Samick Avion, which is almost a Paul, sorta. Same basic construction... this one even seems to have a maple cap, best I can tell from the pickup cavities. Heavy as sin... can't wait to add a pound of Bigsby to that total, LOL. Duncan '59 at the neck, GFS Mean 90 (the one from the dragon paul above) at the bridge. Some doofus had a Dimebucker in this thing... that was horrid. All you could hear was the pickup... just too hot. Too much gain. If you're into that though, the Dimebucker is for sale, LOL!

11ig8.jpg

12qw8.jpg

Thanks! It's definately one of the coolest I've seen, not that I've seen many. I love your blue in your avatar too by the way... makes me miss mine even more. I'll definitely pick up another of those, probably some time next year. I'll probably go a different route with the pickups this time around though, wasn't happy with the covered Duncans. Are yours still stock? I see you've done some cosmetic upgrades...

Thanks! It's definately one of the coolest I've seen' date=' not that I've seen many. I love your blue in your avatar too by the way... makes me miss mine even more. I'll definitely pick up another of those, probably some time next year. I'll probably go a different route with the pickups this time around though, wasn't happy with the covered Duncans. Are yours still stock? I see you've done some cosmetic upgrades... [/quote']

Yeah i am planing on putting in some new pickups that i can coil tap, so that means new pots for tone and volume, and while im at it I will put in a Gibson toggle switch. I like the sound of the Bare Knuckle pickups but they cost, so I will probably go with some Gibson PU's. Yeah I did some minor cosmetic stuff that is in the pic since then I have pulled off the ring around the selector switch. I like that look. What pickups will you go with this time?

If you look at my first post on page 1 you will see the Fibson that I had. I liked the way it looked but it played like ****. well the pickups did. the guitar itself was ok but the electronics were crap. I traded it to a guy for a Sheraton. I told him it was fake but he still wanted the trade. Plus i was getting into jazz. But your green Fibson LP has a nice inlay on the neck. I have not seen that before.

Ayush' date=' you kept the stickers on the pickups? Any particular reason, or did you just get it[/quote']

I was about to tell that.. i have taken the stickekrs out already .. "yesterday" lol.. i don't know why i kept it there for so long... i knew that fake .gib as soon as i saw it. i wanted to buy one but stepped back as i didn't know how it played. i think i should get one to try it.. how much did u pay for it ??

@ Blue: I will probably go with the '59s, they sound great in my plain top. Or, I may try a set of GFS buckers, since I'm so happy with the Mean 90. Definitely want something I can set up for coil tap, I miss that option from my natty custom.

As for the inlay on my fibson... I find it almost amusing how they did such a great job on things like the inlay, the neck joint, and the overall construction of the body, but then completely botched the headstock design inlay and the fretwork. If you could have seen the nut that was on this thing when I got it you would fall out of your computer chair laughing. And the original pickguard, truss rod cover and pickup selector ring were just hideous... :-k

@ Ayush: I paid $300 for the guitar, and another $40 for the fake Gibson case it came in. Add on to that the $60 I spent on the pots and caps, $15 for the toggle switch, (which had to be allparts, because the Gibson model was too big to fit the body. The body is thiner than a Gibson by a little over 1/8") and $60 for the nut replacement and setup work, which is low considering he redressed the frets as well as he did. I happened to have the pickups laying around, otherwise that would have been another hundred or two. All in all, I've got a little over $500 invested. And I would say it plays as well as, and sounds even a little better than a stock Epiphone. So it's a good deal, if you know for sure what you're getting into. It's definitely a project guitar, you won't buy one and love it right away. Just don't ever buy one planning to resell it as a real deal Gibby... not only is that evil, but it can land you in jail. O:)

@ Ayush: I paid $300 for the guitar' date=' and another $40 for the fake Gibson case it came in. Add on to that the $60 I spent on the pots and caps, $15 for the toggle switch, (which had to be allparts, because the Gibson model was too big to fit the body. The body is thiner than a Gibson by a little over 1/8") and $60 for the nut replacement and setup work, which is low considering he redressed the frets as well as he did. I happened to have the pickups laying around, otherwise that would have been another hundred or two. All in all, I've got a little over $500 invested. And I would say it plays as well as, and sounds even a little better than a stock Epiphone. So it's a good deal, if you know for sure what you're getting into. It's definitely a project guitar, you won't buy one and love it right away. Just don't ever buy one planning to resell it as a real deal Gibby... not only is that evil, but it can land you in jail. O:) [/quote']

thanks GZ .. i was planning to buy one to try it and i guess i will. ya wouldn't sell that "Fibson" the inlays are really good, for some craftsman able to make that, messed up the headstock.. he probably referred to a fake Gibson as well. lol..could you please send me the website where you bought it in my mail.

oh ya do these fakes use mahogany as well??

ayush.bista@gmail.com

thanks

now it's not that i am supporting those fake guitars but just wanna to try it out.

thanks GZ .. i was planning to buy one to try it and i guess i will. ya wouldn't sell that "Fibson" the inlays are really good' date=' for some craftsman able to make that, messed up the headstock.. he probably referred to a fake Gibson as well. lol..could you please send me the website where you bought it in my mail.

oh ya do these fakes use mahogany as well??

ayush.bista@gmail.com

thanks

now it's not that i am supporting those fake guitars but just wanna to try it out.

[/quote']

I bought it secondhand, and the guy I bought it from said he got it in a trade, so there's no telling where it originally came from. Best I could say is keep an eye out for the Chinese sellers on eBay. Oh, and yeah, it does appear to be real mahogany. It's a multi piece body like an epi, but it does feel and look like real mahogany. If I happen to run across another one either on eBay or craigslist where I found this one, I'll let you know.

IMO, it's good to buy one of these secondhand, because you're removing one more from the market that might end up tricking someone later, without supporting the frauds who made it in the first place. I'd rather do that than put money in the pockets of the counterfeiters, personally.

I'm used to people contradicting themselves' date=' but usually not in the same sentence...[/quote']

I think what he was trying to say was that he doesn't want to support the illegal activities of the counterfeiters, but he is curious as to the quality level of their product. I don't see the harm in curiosity. I don't condone prostitution either, but I have wondered at times how much I might or might not enjoy sleeping with one. On the same logic, if I date a girl who is also a prostitute, does that make me a criminal by proxy? No, it just makes me a person with arguably bad judgement and poor taste. So, in a way, buying a used counterfeit guitar is like dating a hooker. Buying a new one is like soliciting a hooker. Buying a counterfeit guitar and then finding out it's a fake is like meeting a girl, taking her home to mom, and then finding out she's a hooker.

Eventually, I'll buy a Gibson and meet a nice girl... But for now, I'll just play my fake... At least I'm getting mine, LOL!

Archived