Gibson Brands Forums

Post pictures of your Les Paul

BlueLesPaul2006

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its soooo nice to see the different variations.......plaintop, flametop,quilt top, different finish colors including the entire rainbow, I even see a few 3 pc. tops in here (like my ex bro in laws '75 custom natural had).

But is mine the only 1 with nearly all the chrome worn off the stopbar?

C'mon, lets see some more Senior Citizens!

GarysCam063.jpg

GarysCam062.jpg

Very nice! I've been thinking about getting an AL-3000M HSB Plain Top. Do you find that the maple top brightens up the sound considerably' date=' or not really all that much? Still, a very nice guitar for the money.

JS - bring on the Agiles. I just bought a tribal blue AL-3100. I love it.[/quote']

It's quite bright, a little too much so for my liking, so I put a set of flat wound 10's on it.

That toned it down just enough.

That said, rolling the tone down to 5-6 has the same effect.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not that I object to buying counterfeit/fake goods per se' date=' it's the excuses people come up with to craddle their conscience.

Nothing personal at either Generation zero or the Presley guy.[/quote']

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that knowingly buying stolen or counterfeit goods with the intent to resell them is fencing. Knowingly buying stolen goods is also illegal. The purpose of making counterfeit goods is to sell them as legit... Hence the illegality. If buying counterfeit goods is illegal in itself, I am not aware of such a law. Not saying there isn't one... But as far as I am concerned, the problem in counterfeit guitars is the makers and original sellers duping the public into buying inferior product that uses trademarks illegally. In my opinion, by buying a fake Gibson from someone who has already bought it, I am not doing anything wrong. Possibly, I am doing that person the service of giving them at least some of what they paid back, which is more than most sellers of fakes will do. Make no misunderstanding, I am not trying to pass my fakes off as originals... My intent is to have guitars with the general appearance of a Gibson (or PRS), but with the features I prefer over a real Gibson. If you can find me a single example of a green Gibson LP custom with a dragon inlaid in the feetboard, and a poly finish instead of nitro, for under 1000 dollars no less, I will gladly throw my fake in the garbage and buy the real deal.

It's not a matter of conscience, mine is clear... I like gibsons, but I prefer a poly finish. I found a couple used guitars that carry both traits, at least in appearance, so I bought them and upgraded them accordingly. Slash used a fake Gibson as his main guitar for a big part of his stint in guns n roses, but Gibson still doesn't mind endorsing him.

I'm not advocating everyone going out and buying up fakes, but I am saying that if you find yourself stuck with one after being tricked by a phony dealer, you CAN turn it into a decent, reliable guitar with a few hundred dollars worth of upgrades, and still come out in the good. Just be advised, a $300 fake is still a $300 fake, even with another $300 spent in upgrades. So don't bother upgrading it unless you plan to keep it and play it, like I did. Furthermore, if anyone has a fake they don't want, PM me with pics and a price. I've always got room for one more...

And again... DON'T BUY FAKES FROM THE COUNTERFEITERS! Buy used if you WANT a fake, and be extra wary in all online purchases if, like most other users here, you DON'T want to be stuck with a fake.

Also, no hard feelings, Ric... I expected some to find offense at my opinion regarding fakes, and you are absolutely right in being opposed to illegal activity. I honestly do wish that Gibson offered a somewhat less expensive LP standard or custom with a poly finish, figured veneered top, and real Gibson pickups and hardware. I would pay $1000 for one of those in a minute. But as that is unlikely to happen, I'm stuck with my fakes if I want what I want in a guitar, with a Gibson headstock.

got this beauty yesterday

CIMG0163.jpg

Those are beautiful guitars... I only wish they had the standard 4 knob control configuration... Then it would be a perfect guitar! Offering it in the blue Prophecy finish would be nice too, but the red and gold work really nice together, and I love the fact that those knobs are stock.

Archived