Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steven Lister

I'll be very, very glad when people stop calling my Epiphone LP an...

If you prefer Dave over David that's one thing but if you don't like the name Steve because "it sounds like a jock" or "sounds like a car salesman" that's something else altogether. Again, you got something against car salesmen? The last one I knew was a little pushy but man could he play his axe! He was one of those competitive heavy metal guys but i ended up with a Camry anyway. =P~

An exception to Stephen's assertion that blues players don't like the word axe for a guitar is the late Chicago blues guitarist Son Seals who called himself "Bad Axe", put an album called "Bad Axe" and even had a license plate on his car that said "Bad Axe."

He poured his heart and soul into breathing life into his guitar too but he liked the term Axe.

If you prefer Dave over David that's one thing but if you don't like the name Steve because "it sounds like a jock" or "sounds like a car salesman" that's something else altogether. Again' date=' you got something against car salesmen? The last one I knew was a little pushy but man could he play his axe! He was one of those competitive heavy metal guys but i ended up with a Camry anyway. =P~ [/quote']

You're still missing the point. I don't like the look of a little black dress on me... because I think it'd make me look like an ugly man-like woman. Doesn't mean I have a problem with women wearing a little black dress... I'm very much for that.

Now, as for me wearing a red dress... well, that's something I've yet to form an opinion on. :-k

Your allusions are wrong. Bob Dylan doesn't have a problem with used car salesmen, he just doesn't identify himself as one. Elliott Smith doesn't identify himself as a jock. Neither of them has stated any problem with said people, just that they don't feel they fit that role. What you're saying is like anyone who doesn't want to be a fireman has a problem with people who are firemen. That's ridiculous.

I can back off on the claim of elitism but I don't go along with any negative connotation of the use of axe. I don't use the term myself but not for any distaste for it but more for my lack of hipness. #-o