Gibson Brands Forums

5 rotary 2 pole switch wiring guitar for one pickup?

Mr. E

i just bought a 5 rotary 2 pole switch and i thought it was a 4 pole... i should double check next time.

anyway, is there something i could do with it with one pickup (humbucker, 4 four wire)?

I'm redoing my epi junior... again, but this time better.

thnx

i found this one this website:http://www.geocities.jp/dgb_studio/index_e.html

th_12.jpg

th_13.jpg

they might be useful, but there is two things: one, its for lever... two, i dont know how the diagram goes. that doesn't help that much but that's all i've found.

what i wanted was this

th_wdu_h5r00_01.jpg

but i guess i can't.

if you have anything i could use to wire the pickup with this rotary switch please tell me.

thnx

i just bought a 5 rotary 2 pole switch and i thought it was a 4 pole... i should double check next time.

anyway' date=' is there something i could do with it with one pickup (humbucker, 4 four wire)?

[/quote']

If I'm not mistaken the Fender lever switch is also a 5 rotary 2 pole switch.

If I'm not mistaken the Fender lever switch is also a 5 rotary 2 pole switch.

so i could use it? if yes, how can i wire it? i'm lost here, i just know how to wire a guitar without switches, plain standar guitars only.

thnx for the website' date=' but it doesnt really have anything about one humbucker and a rotary switch.

thnx [/quote']

A pickup is a pickup and a switch is a switch......if you understand the basics the number of poles and switch type (rotary vs toggle) etc..etc..are not important. You should get to the point where you can draw out your own schematic instead of just looking for a connect the dots solution. You will be much better off in the long run, than if someone just spoon feeds you a drawing. Honestly one of the best ways to understand switches is to get a meter and measure continuity from pole to pole....or pole to wiper...so you know exactly what goes where. Then draw out what you want to do before you even pick up any tools. A schematic is just a map really.

A pickup is a pickup and a switch is a switch......if you understand the basics the number of poles and switch type (rotary vs toggle) etc..etc..are not important. You should get to the point where you can draw out your own schematic instead of just looking for a connect the dots solution. You will be much better off in the long run' date=' than if someone just spoon feeds you a drawing. Honestly one of the best ways to understand switches is to get a meter and measure continuity from pole to pole....or pole to wiper...so you know exactly what goes where.[/quote']

i'm just barely starting, its confusing. i will learn, but its to complicated to know how to do it in the next two days.

i just need something quick right now so i could just wire this and start playing.

i'm just barely starting' date=' its confusing. i will learn, but its to complicated to know how to do it in the next two days.

i just need something quick right now so i could just wire this and start playing.[/quote']

Ok I understand it is confusing and I just want to help make it less confusing. I'm a little confused too as to exactly what you want this switch to do? Tell me and we'll go from there OK?

Ok I understand it is confusing and I just want to help make it less confusing. I'm a little confused too as to exactly what you want this switch to do? Tell me and we'll go from there OK?

well, what i wanted the switch to do was the thing on the diagram http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/daredevil_237/wdu_h5r00_01.jpg , but i cant cause its not a 4 pole. what i want to do is get as close as possible as those wiring opitions.

well' date=' what i wanted the switch to do was the thing on the diagram http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/daredevil_237/wdu_h5r00_01.jpg , but i cant cause its not a 4 pole. what i want to do is get as close as possible as those wiring opitions.[/quote']

OK with 2 poles you could do North,South Single and then series and parallel but not the phasing stuff. Do you know what the color code is for the pickups coils?

OK with 2 poles you could do North' date='South Single and then series and parallel but not the phasing stuff. Do you know what the color code is for the pickups coils?[/quote']

GFS fat pat, i think it uses the same as seymour duncan.

also, north, south, series, and parallel... that's 4, do you know of anything else i could use to fill in the 5 spot?

thnx for helping me out with this switch

GFS fat pat' date=' i think it uses the same as seymour duncan.

also, north, south, series, and parallel... that's 4, do you know of anything else i could use to fill in the 5 spot?

thnx for helping me out with this switch[/quote']

Well the easy one would be a kill switch.....or a control bypass....pickup right to the output jack for the hottest signal.

Well the easy one would be a kill switch.....or a control bypass....pickup right to the output jack for the hottest signal.

i really like the idea of the control bypass, i've wired a guitar with only a volume pot and it sounded nice. i could just imagine a control bypass... it will sound hotter and nicer

i really like the idea of the control bypass' date=' i've wired a guitar with only a volume pot and it sounded nice. i could just imagine a control bypass... it will sound hotter and nicer[/quote']

OK we'll do the control bypass for the 5th position....so it will go 1 North single 2 South single 3 both series 4 both parallel and 5 both series no controls OK?

Are you cool with that and trying to draw it out for yourself...I really want to help you learn and this is a good project for that. The color codes for the SD type pickups are on duncan's web site(black white and red green are the pairs). The 2 center contacts on the rotary switch are the wipers...the top goes in one direction...the bottom goes in the other. Most of it is pretty straight ahead and you'll probably have a question on how to wire up the bypass setting...but I want to see if you can get that far.......?

Are you cool with that and trying to draw it out for yourself...I really want to help you learn and this is a good project for that. The color codes for the SD type pickups are on duncan's web site(black white and red green are the pairs). The 2 center contacts on the rotary switch are the wipers...the top goes in one direction...the bottom goes in the other. Most of it is pretty straight ahead and you'll probably have a question on how to wire up the bypass setting...but I want to see if you can get that far.......?

sorry man, i'm still alittle lost. i know you me to learn and i also want to learn how, it would be of great help later on. the thing is i need to know where to wire what and why and i really dont have any clue of what goes here or there and why. please help me out just alittle more.

sorry man' date=' i'm still alittle lost. i know you me to learn and i also want to learn how, it would be of great help later on. the thing is i need to know where to wire what and why and i really dont have any clue of what goes here or there and why. please help me out just alittle more.[/quote']

Sorry but that's a cop out...you can't just give up on me...I don't play that way. Look you have to know where to put the wires even if you don't know the why...I wan't you to know the why...I want you to try...not just say I don't get it man sorry. You will thank me for this in the end...trust me. Draw it out and try to understand the circuit....if you are not willing to try I'm not gonna spoon feed you...you said you wanted to learn. Show me! Take it a step at a time...and break down the diagram...the pickup is one set of contacts trying to get to another set of contacts and the switch is the device that allows the two to connect. It's really that simple.

...the pickup is one set of contacts trying to get to another set of contacts and the switch is the device that allows the two to connect. It's really that simple.

i kinda get that and i'm willing to try it out. i could work with that with anyother switch (mini toggle switch, push/pull), but i'm new to rotary switches, i really dont know how it is almost the same as the fender 5 way switch.

Archived