Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-Cut Nuts?

Dietrich

Hey Cats,

I've been thinking about replacing nuts. I see that blank nuts are cheap, but the cutting of them is what costs (up to 40 bucks or more?).

I am hesitant to spend that on a guitar that barely cost twice that much, but if and when I do, I figure I'll at least wait until I'm changing strings/pick-up/and/or bridge.

But I saw mention somewhere of a pre-cut nut. Any cons to this? I wonder if my cheapy bolt-on neck guitars really need the fussiness of a custom-cut nut.

This is a topic I know very little about. Any comments?

Thx, ~D.

Actually a LOT depends on the model of guitar. MOST of the pre-cut Graph Tech nuts are right on, JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PROPER HEIGHT & WIDTH FOR YOUR MODEL OF INSTRUMENT. And they're like, less than 15 bucks (even cheaper if you look at certain dealers on eBay. If you go to a brick and mortar store looking for them, it's always a good idea to take the original nut with you to ensure they match up closely. And of course installing them is a walk in the park.

H-Bomb

Hey thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

My EB-O bass is a dream, especially considering what it cost (very little).

My two Junior guitars (LP and SG) are the cheap ones, but they both play great, and I haven't even had trouble with the tuners (which seem to be the biggest complaints from folks who own cheap solid-body Epis).

I might replace the hb pickup on the SG Junior, but the LP Junior has an older P-90, which sounds great.

The only upgrades I can think of are the nuts. The bass has a soft black plastic nut that I can actually make a mark on with my thumbnail! The Juniors have plastic nuts that 'ping' occasionaly during tuning. So replacing the nuts seemed like a good move, more so now that I know they're not so expensive.

Thanks again.

Archived