Gibson Brands Forums

Help to identify epiphone /gibson

Rico_Kiko

Hi , to all epiphone guitary kind of people,

Can anyone help me to identify a guitar that I have?

The description is,

Like A PRS I think

Walnut front, rosewood back

body and neck all one piece of wood

"Epiphone " inlayed on machine head top

"Gibson" written on truss rod cover

Strat type Trem and bridge

EMS pickups

tone and volume is also push pull switch

Has no serial number anywhere, I really looked, inside and out and find nothing

its about 18 years old or so

Bought in england but might have came from USA

Made in Korea

Any ideas as to model type , I tried searching all over the internet but nothing

I would put a photo but I dont know how to, although its a bit like Santanas guitar,, a bit

Thanks for the help in advance

Kiko

OK Guys,

Firstly Thanks to everyone who hs helped me so far, maybe its not so hard to find after all.

and thanks leicester35 for your initial DEL REY guess it was hard to guess without a photo

even a bad one.

As to the next suggestion the Spotlight mentioned by ANIMO and DIETRICH is yes , I think

so, although ther are a few little differences, like it has a small phase switch for the pick ups

, but basically , more than that , it is I belive now a SPotlight,and I notice the on line photo

has GIBSON inlayed and Gibson on the truss cover as oppose to Epiphone inlayed and

Gibson on the truss cover.

But anyway leaving all that aside , where the hell is the serial number? , I just can't find it ,

doesnt every guitar have one? this would make looking it up easier in certain data bases.

So now armed with your fantastic input I have improved to find it is now I think the

EPIPHONE NOEVEUE SPOTLIGHT. Looking at a site I found called

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-15307-EPIPHONE-GIBSON-NOUVEAU-SPOTLIGHT

which is the same colour and everything,

Of course I neever would have found all this if you guys hadnt put me on the right track.

then , I found this from a Gibson customer support guy ...

: Nouveau: Gibson introduced a line of flat top guitars under the Nouveau by Gibson brand in

1986. Nouveau bodies and necks were made in Japan and then shipped unassembled to the

U.S. where they were then assembled and finished. Electric models joined the line in 1987.

Gibson moved the Nouveaus to the Epiphone line, under the brand Nouveau by Epiphone,

by September 1987. Electrics were moved to Epiphone by February 1988. the entire

Nouveau line was discontinued by early 1989.

:

: Regards,

: Roger Ball

: Gibson customer support

Great, althought the neck and body on mine is all one piece, and still no serial number.

Although another article mentioned there were some prototypes that had no serial number,

Finally I found an artical that is nearer still about an Epiphone Spotlight CMT which is

probably the one. this is on ...(what does CMT stand for?)

http://gashcrumb.homelinux.org/logahead/2007/08/17/1988_epiphone_spotlight_cmt

if anyone is interested.

Anyway , for me it looks nice and is very nice to play having a narrow neck and very fine low

action,

And so.. I own a 1988 Epiphone Spotlight CMT, after all that.........made in Korea and

assembled in USA, if I keep looking I should find out the name of the guy who put it

together.....!!!

KIKO

Really thanks to all who helped me get on the right track

I would have guessed a Del Rey too but the headstock would have been wrong for that... so a Spotlight it is.

CMT is probably Custom Maple Top or something. The company Stan is thinking of is CMI, or the Chicago Musical Instrument company, which bought a controlling interest in Gibson in 1944.

Yes, and thanks i wondered about the CMT bit of the name, I will do more surfing to find out about that for myself, and I should make a better photo , but i do know that they were produced in 1998 only.

this is like kinda being a Guitar detctive.....all the info is there its just finding it

kiko

Ahhhh there you go ..........

Gibson Nouveau Epiphone Spotlight.CMT (Curly Maple Top)1988

That just leaves me with the serial number problemm

Kiko

Unfortunately they just used a sticker for the serial number, which was stuck on the back of the headstock. Mine used to have one after I bought it used in '89 but it fell off at some point.

Gashcrumb......

Yes there is a sticker on the back of the head but it just says "MAde in Korea" ( can just about still read it now) I dont recall ever having seen a number anywhere and I did have a look inside and everything over the years as I changed a few bits and mantainance etc... but if thats all there was then I guess its gone and I can't see it turning up now,

do you know how many were made in 1988 ??

KIKO

Gashcrumb......

Yes there is a sticker on the back of the head but it just says "MAde in Korea" ( can just about still read it now) I dont recall ever having seen a number anywhere and I did have a look inside and everything over the years as I changed a few bits and mantainance etc... but if thats all there was then I guess its gone and I can't see it turning up now' date='

do you know how many were made in 1988 ??

KIKO[/quote']

Hmm... No idea, but not all that many since there's hardly any info on this guitar. Any chance there's a serial number sticker on the back of the back plate tremelo cover?

No Nothing inside, I been in lots of times when i changed things and messed about over the years,

never mind maybe it just went missing , youd think theyd put it on a bit better than just a sticker, ah well,

yes I suppose not a lot made since it was only in production for 1 year, AS I was looking around for info on it I found about

5, yours , mine , one in wales, one in the south of england bristol that was sold online and one owned by a girl

in a band called July23rd (that one actually was given a name by its owner)

However just out of curiosity if I find out anything else worth knowing I'll let you know.

KIKO

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread while researching this guitar. I bought it in Bristol (^ - possibly the one you're referring to).

No serial, like you say. I've looked all over.

Beautiful finish though, even with the few dents and nicks it has in it. Beautiful thru neck and great action, although the strings are a bit low (bit of buzzing from bottom E).

Pickups are a bit murky but the tone is great as well as the variation of sounds you can get. Just a shame about the bridge. It's made of a soft metal of some kind and really can't withstand the force of the strings, let alone using it as a trem. The bridge posts appear to have bent forward under strain causing the bridge the chip away at the cavity edge and the sectiona between the bridge cavity and the bridge pickup has cracked and moved slightly.

I'm thinking of getting that proffessionally fixed and getting a new bridge system put in. Anyone had any experience getting this done to a spotlight? I've seen people mention it when talking about other spotlights on the net.

Other thing I want to do is change all the hardware to gold/cream. It's come with black hardware which doesn't seem right with the amber flame finish.

Adam

Adam ,

There are not many of them out there as they were all made in 1988 and were stopped due to litigation. I was in touch with GIbson europe about them and got some info but not too much as it may be a bit of a sore point.

Anyway it is a nice guitar , for me at least.

I changed a few things, like pick ups and bridge saddles and I rewired it. took the tone control out and put a coil tap switch in. Not too much really.

It took a while and quite a bit of surfing and asking around to find out anything at all about them.

Although I got some help from here and was in contact with" gashcrumb" on this site who has one too.

if you want to know more about it you can e mail me ...

KIKO

• 2 months later...

Glad to see you identified it. I have the white Epiphone Spotlight and love it. I have been searching for

the maple top and just bought one. They were made from 86-89 and PRS sued because of the copy

so basically there are white, red, black and mapletop. Two bridge styles are out there, but the silver

bridge way out does the black locking tremola. Enjoy and keep it close.

• 1 month later...

I have one as well. I have been looking far and wide as to figure out exactly what the guitar was. Basically it was given to my girlfriend by her Godfather as a gift. She was going to throw it on the wall but I was able to have it. I had to get it re-strung and such since the high E had been broken for quite some time. I'm shocked with the sound of the guitar and how well it plays despite the fact that it has been sitting in a cold basement for the last 4+ years. Anyway, I'm glad to finally know what it is. The only issue is it goes out of tune rather quickly (the tuning pegs are way to loose) so I may have to invest in that.

• 5 weeks later...

i got 1 too i bought it as a scrapper with a broken bridge and no source for a replacement, I fitted a floyd rose and locking heads. apart from that its standard select pickups no serial number oddly written epiphone and the gibson diamond on headstock made me think it was a fake or something special. the Through neck and quality of wood is what made me buy it i decided it was too good to be a cheap copy. had it about 10 years.

Archived