Gibson Brands Forums

Combo Speaker

Cole

Well i think i've finished the mods to my V3 Vj. head. i would post a pic as my avatar but

the camera batteries are dead. I have added the tweed tone control and decals to label

the tone knob and the switches. My question however is... I love the tone of my Jr. head

through the matching speaker cab. I also have a V1 combo and would like to put the V3

chasis in it but this speaker just makes it sound like crap. I would like the portability to

take it to my music class at school. What is a good replacement speaker. I know an 8"

won't sound like my 12" cab but what is a good replacement for a fair price?

My Jensen P8r sounds Fendery good to me till it's pushed a little too hard. And it took a good while to break in, too. But it sounds a little better on "11" with the back off. After that, putting it in a corner sounds even better! But it's not very efficient (or loud), and ultimately, you do have to accept that it's not gonna have the bottom end of a 1x12. They're better for the bedroom than the bandroom unless you bring a mic for the PA.

That's one option. I have some Celestion 8's from some old Crate VC508's, but both had serious holes in the paper so I never got to try 'em with the VJr. Hey, anybody know where I can get some speakers fixed? I've also got a 10" P10q out of a Super Reverb that needs a voice coil.

Gil...

Is there any that take less time to break in. I don't need it loud. thats what the 12" is

for. I just want it for the bedroom and to tote around. my music class is more independently

work in a small practice room. I just want to show it off but don't want to lug the 12" to school.

I play with a weber attenuator. Any other suggestions?

Is there any that take less time to break in. ...

They all take at least a good 100 hours of pounding to loosen up. I've heard rumors that some manufacturers (not Jensen, and not Celestion) do give their speakers a head start with 24 hours of sinewave signal break-in, but I've found that a simple FM radio run through a guitar amp can handle the rest of the break-in task quite well. Especially if it's in a closet with a blanket over it. But if you can't wait, look for something in the "well used" category.

Stargeezer: Thanks for the tip on the recone service.

Gil...

They all take at least a good 100 hours of pounding to loosen up. I've heard rumors that some manufacturers (not Jensen' date=' and not Celestion) do give their speakers a head start with 24 hours of sinewave signal break-in, but I've found that a simple FM radio run through a guitar amp can handle the rest of the break-in task quite well. Especially if it's in a closet with a blanket over it. But if you can't wait, look for something in the "well used" category.

Stargeezer: Thanks for the tip on the recone service.

Gil...[/quote']

You can also just use the radio hooked to the speaker, if you don't want your tubes burning during breakin. I've used the 1/8 plug jack for headphones and a cable with clips. My old TV has a headphone jack, so just watch TV and listen thru the speaker. To cut down on sound in a closet, remove the speaker and put it in a box. With no baffle, the phase cancellation will cut down the sound too.

Archived