Gibson Brands Forums

Toggle switch cap

jordan199311

I want to make a brass toggle switch cap in my shop and i dont have the proper measuring tools to get the diameter of the hole along with deepness and tap size. I do on the other hand have the tools to make it. I was hoping this is the best place to ask this question since maybe someone decided to customize their guitar this way. I have an Epiphone SG Special.

I want to make a brass toggle switch cap in my shop and i dont have the proper measuring tools to get the diameter of the hole along with deepness and tap size. I do on the other hand have the tools to make it. I was hoping this is the best place to ask this question since maybe someone decided to customize their guitar this way. I have an Epiphone SG Special.

Ah, finally a question I can help with.

It depends on the type of 3-way toggle switch. If you are using Switchcraft (Gibson Pure etc), the thread will be

a standard thread 8/32 and the thread on the switch post is about 3/8" in length.

On the inside of the tip("cap"), the threaded portion of the hole is about 3/8" deep, but on the switchcraft switch tips, the thread starts about an 1/8 of an inch in from the bottom edge of the tip.

The switch tip (plastic part) is 5/8' (15mm) long by 1/4 inch (8 mm) at the widest

part at the very tip.

On the asian manufactured 3 ways, it will be the equivalent in metric sizes.

8/32 should map out to either M3.5 or M4 ..depending on whether they measure

the thead from the valley or the peak.

Here's a conversion chart:

http://www.engineeredpartsinc.com/metric.htm

Archived