Gibson Brands Forums

Help with identifying Serial Number !

Sheesh

Hello all, I recently bought an Epiphone Sheraton II-VS, plays like a gem.

The serial number stated on it was : 0806210096, and I've checked online but I am unable to get a breakdown of the serial number. e.g. which country was it made in, which year, etc.

Could anyone help me out on this ? Thanks !

abcxc9.th.jpg

Yeah, that was what i suspected too, 08 batch, after searching countless website online.

But still, i'm not very sure myself.

However, there was a "MIK" sticker on the back of the headstock.

Could anyone explain this ? I bought it only cuz the dealer told me it was a MIK model.

Maybe the parts were made in korea but assembled in china, or vice versa ?

Gah this is confusing:/

Man if this was a MIC model with them telling me it was MIK, i'd go ballistic @_@ !!!

Just speculating here, but it's possible that Epi has changed the system and is now using numeric manufacturer codes; I'd guess that the '21' is the code for this particular plant... or, Epiphone has decided to drop the plant codes entirely since some of their plants are less desired by buyers than others, or just to take attention away from the fact that a large number of Epiphone guitars are actually subcontracted, and the 21 is the day of manufacture, i.e. the guitar was made on the 21st of June, 2008, and is production number 96. For the country of manufacture, we'll probably have to go by the 'made in' stickers.

Hopefully someone will shed some light on this interesting question.

You can email Gibson at support@gibson.com.

I had noticed this change in numbering too, and had been meaning to comment on it.

As I have mentioned, I have been craving a Sheraton II for some time, and had been intending to pick one up next time I visit the U.S. ($599 as opposed to £400, with a current exchange rate of £1.00 = $1.82 !)

I've been keeping an eye on Sweetwater's stock. Sweetwater (as I'm sure you all know) are unusual, as they display the serial no. of the individual instrument on their website. Basically, all of the Sheratons I have looked at have a "U" (Unsung, Korea) serial no. Until recently...

This natural finish Sheraton has a "U" serial no: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETS2NAGH/

But these VS finish Sheratons have the new type of serial no, which Sheesh is talking about: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETS2VSGH/

This makes me believe that RotcanX is quite right. The serial numbering system has been changed to make the individual factories less identifiable. If Sheesh's guitar had a MIK sticker on the back of the headstock, does this mean that we have worked out that "21" is the new identifer for Unsung, Korea ??!

well, i emailed gibson a few hours back and i just got a reply. apparently, according to them, the numbers in the f-hole isn't the serial number. it was stated that the serial number would be on the back of the headstock of the guitar.

pix0008jd5.th.jpg

as you can see, i took a pictureof the headstock. but there is, amazingly, no serial number on it.

Ahhhh i'm going mad, lol. this is driving me crazy not knowing where my epi came from ):

btw, if you check out the links given by leicester35, it is noted that these sheratons (both the VS and natural ones) do not have a serial number on the headstock too. puzzzzzzling.

mmm, so the question is, is the number in the f-hole the serial number or not ?

Ahhhh i'm going mad' date=' lol. this is driving me crazy not knowing where my epi came from ):

[/quote']

Sheesh, I think you can can relax about this. I'm 99% sure that your Sheraton was made by Unsung, Korea - like every other Sheraton I've seen recently.

Here's why...both your Sheraton and the Sheratons on sale at Sweetwater contain a common set of digits "21". I agree with RotcanX - "21" is the new identifer for Unsung, Korea (previously the identifier for this factory was "U.")

Go to the Guitar Dater Project: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

I entered the serial number, which you have posted for your guitar (0806210096), only I deleted the "21" and placed a "U" in front instead. This gives you: U08060096 Run this through Guitar Dater, and you get:

"Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

June 2008

Production Number: 0096"

I think Guitar Dater just hasn't caught up with the change in serial numbering yet.

In any case, just enjoy your guitar! I'm looking forward to joining you in Sheraton II ownership soon.

Ahhhh. That calmed me down hahah.

Well, thanks a lot guys ! You all were really helpful. And I'm happy with this baby, good finishing, set up, etc. Couldn't ask for more, though I have to lock it up as my major examinations are around the corner. Can't afford to get hooked on it heh.

Well, I have another question on my mind though.

Do all Epiphones (Sheratons or not) come without a serial number on the headstock ?

And to Leicester35, yeah that's the way ! Sheraton go go go. Enjoy it too yeah, cuz it's one hell of a gem to strum.

Well' date=' I have another question on my mind though.

Do all Epiphones (Sheratons or not) come without a serial number on the headstock ?[/quote']

As a general rule of thumb, solid bodies have the serial number embossed on the back of the headstock. Semis have the label inside the f hole (as you discovered) - although there are no doubt some exceptions to this rule?

Ahhh, so going with the links provided by Leicester35 (where all the 07/08 made Sheratons don't have a serial no. on the back of the headstock), I'd assume that the newly made Sheratons don't have one then.

It's quite sad though, cuz it'd be cool to have a number written across there.

Kinda like a tattoo heh.

Alright, thanks to everyone for helping me out !

Archived