Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp to suit an Epi Les Paul Custom??

Ligeress

Hey guys

For anyone who helped me, I ended up buying my hubby an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Alpine White. It is so smokin' hot! Seriously, it is beautiful. Thanks to those who gave me advice.

But, I also want to buy him an amp and I can't really decide and Id on't know too much about amps.

The guy in the guitar shop sugegsted a roland cube amp. I guess I am only looking to spend about $500 Australian Dollars...so I know I can't get the best amp, but it has to be better than the piece of crap he is using now.

Any suggestions for an amp to best suit this guitar???

Thank you!

L.

i would reccomend some sort of tube amp[cube is solid state but has good reviews by some i have talked with]. i use a reverend goblin, but those are no longer available. i think fender has a tube amp in that range long with marshall and maybe vox though output maybe low on them, 30 watt or less depending on what he wants

Hey guys

For anyone who helped me' date=' I ended up buying my hubby an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Alpine White. It is so smokin' hot! Seriously, it is beautiful. Thanks to those who gave me advice.

But, I also want to buy him an amp and I can't really decide and Id on't know too much about amps.

The guy in the guitar shop sugegsted a roland cube amp. I guess I am only looking to spend about $500 Australian Dollars...so I know I can't get the best amp, but it has to be better than the piece of crap he is using now.

Any suggestions for an amp to best suit this guitar???

Thank you!

L. [/quote']

Roland Cube 60. It's got enough juice to keep up with a band, it's small, it's portable, and it has some awesome samplers...(everything from classic Marshall Crunch to Mesa Boogie full tilt distortion to Vox and even an acoustic sampler. It's one of the best amps I've ever owned...)

EDIT: Review....(and yes, it does have a speaker jack if you need even more volume)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/roland/cube_60/

Hey The_Sentry! You were one of the ones who helped me out with the guitar issue. Now here I am with another problem - the amp.

Ok, I will check out the Roland Cube. A few people have told me that a tube amp is best? I don't get the difference.

I was looking at the Marshall JCM2000 range, and they are real nice, but possibly out of my budget!

I really, genuinely appreciate the help I have recevied from this forum. It's been awesome!

p.s. I am getting my first bass lesson tomorrow night and I am so scared eeek.

Hey The_Sentry! You were one of the ones who helped me out with the guitar issue. Now here I am with another problem - the amp.

Ok' date=' I will check out the Roland Cube. A few people have told me that a tube amp is best? I don't get the difference.

I was looking at the Marshall JCM2000 range, and they are real nice, but possibly out of my budget!

I really, genuinely appreciate the help I have recevied from this forum. It's been awesome!

p.s. I am getting my first bass lesson tomorrow night and I am so scared eeek.[/quote']

If you like the sound of a Marshall, this amp does a pretty good impression. Tube amps are great, but they are a big investment because more times often than not you have to get all of the effects that go with the tube amp. Some amps come with these effects, but combine this (high quality) in conjunction with a tube...well, yeah, expensive.

This amp? I can't say enough about it. It keeps up just fine in a musical ensemble. It's also very portable. I have other amplifiers including a Line 6 Spider II, but the Cube 60 is the amp I almost always end up noodling on. And, if it's any consolation, it's built like a Sherman Tank, and cranks out the rock tones accordingly.

PS: Good luck with your lesson! I'm sure you'll kick butt!

I have the Roland Cube 60 and the Vox AD50VT. Both will do the job nicely for any genre in music. The Vox gets a slight edge in my opinion for the unique Vox "chime". I think it's also closer to a tube overdriven sound...crunchy with a good, pleasing harmonic mix.

Thanks everyone. I can see a common love for the Vox AD50VT, and I think that is the one I am going to get.

They are around $599 or so here in Australia, which is in my budget.

If anyone knows the cheapest place in Sydney to get one, make sure to give me the heads uP!

Thanks.

L.

Yes, you can gig with the AD50VT.

I've gigged (in small bars) with my AD30VT, so the AD50VT should be good.

The AD50VT also has a jack in the back that you can connect an 8ohm cabinet to it, the AD30VT doesn't (although its easy to mod it should you or he have any electronics/soldering skills).

I have had a AD50VT for about 6 months now. My epi LP standard sounds great with it. The real nice thing about these amps is they have an attenuator in the back so you can dial down the wattage yet still push the volume (for tube saturation and it does have a tube - 12AX7) without blowing out the house and neighbors. Gig? just max the attenuattor

If possible, try it out first - there have been some quality problems - hard to tell to what extent. Problems usually appear in the first 6 hours of use.

Also, look at this web site - http://valvetronix.net/valvetronix/AD15,30,50,100%20-%20VT/VTH/model_1_date_1.html it has presets and some demos from regular players (not studio tracks). You can get a good idea of what the different models sound like.

I really do like mine!

Yes' date=' you can gig with the AD50VT.

I've gigged (in small bars) with my AD30VT, so the AD50VT should be good.

The AD50VT also has a jack in the back that you can connect an 8ohm cabinet to it, the AD30VT doesn't (although its easy to mod it should you or he have any electronics/soldering skills).

[/quote']

I have one too. I really like it, I could get the sound i want at low volumes when I play late at night.

BUT one thing I don't like his that it doesn't have effect send/return jacks. I would really want that. Connecting pedals or a Digitech Rp150 becomes much of a hassale.

You said it is easy to mod a jack to connect an 8ohm cabinet (which it does already), but can you mod it to have effect send/return jacks?

He's been playing for about 10 years' date=' he is really good. And the whole reason I am buying him a guitar and amp is so that he can join a band and kick some ***!

Would the Vox AD50VT be ok for a band tho?[/quote']

I've played so loud that my ears hurt (Grin) and I have yet to turn the amp more than halfway up. That's the AD50VT 2-12" model. Granted, as with most amps, the most volume increase is in the first half on the volume control. Past 6, there isn't as much increase as there is from 1-5.

Back when I played a Peavy Musician 200W 4-12" stack, I seldom played past 3 and sometimes in small clubs I only needed to turn the amp to about 1 1/2. You really need an amp that provides the correct volume when turned up around half way to get into the tone curve of the amp. The AD50VT fills this bill. Lots of pro players used 50 watt Marshalls in the 60's and 70's because the tone was there in a 50 watt amp turned up loud. They used PA reinforcement to get the sound to a large audience.

Archived