Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone professional

I have now....what a weird guitar.

EpiphoneProfessional.jpg

From Provide.net

A strange bird indeed. All amp controls are on the guitar, and it requires the matching amp to be fully functional. It is usable with other amps via the 1/4" jack on the top of the guitar (to utilize the matching amp requires a special cable plugged into the guitar's multi-pin jack). There is one volume and one tone knob and 5 tone switches (giving a lot of tone variations for a one pickup guitar), which work through the 1/4" jack. The other controls on the guitar control the reverb and tremolo on the original matching amp and are as follows: one on/off switch for the reverb and one for the tremolo, one rotary knob for controlling the amount of reverb, one for controlling the amount of tremolo and one for the speed of the tremolo. So essentially the guitar is fully functional without the matching amp, aside from the treble/reverb functions. But a bit too weird for most collectors, and with the single pickup being in the neck position, this scares away most players.

16 1/4" wide, double round cutaways, fully hollow thinbody, 1 mini-humbucking pickup, triple bound top, single bound back and fingerboard, single parallelogram fingerboard inlays, 24 3/4" scale, Frequensator tailpiece, tuneamatic bridge, royal tan or red finish. Came with a special amplifier. All amp controls on the guitar's black/white/black pickguard with 7 switches and 5 knobs. Symmetrical pickguard covered almost the whole top of the guitar.

Introduced in 1962, discontinued 1967.

I wouldnt mind one, i think they stopped making them they prob did but if u bought one u would have trouble finding the amp for it

Edit: i was looking on google images there now, and i think you can get one without the amp controls on the guitar its self

Sorry i didnt read the thing you posted they guitar will still play on a amp without the matching amp.

I wouldnt mind one' date=' i think they stopped making them they prob did but if u bought one u would have trouble finding the amp for it

Edit: i was looking on google images there now, and i think you can get one without the amp controls on the guitar its self

Sorry i didnt read the thing you posted they guitar will still play on a amp without the matching amp.[/quote']

Hmm.....Well, you know...it does look different. But, (and I don't know if I should even be saying this here) but for some reason it reminds me of Brian May's guitar.....

In any case, the only other note I saw on that site where I referenced the description...they're not in high demand as far as collectors go, so if there's one out there, you should be able to get it for a decent price. Good luck!