Gibson Brands Forums

rewire with what?

Stevie Nazarenie

That's the problem with shielded wire these days. Nobody wants to bother going

to a roll, measuring out a couple of feet of it, then packaging it up..etc.

They would rather just sell you the 25ft roll that it comes on.

For a LP, you need about 4.5 feet of shielded wire because of the 3-way switch

location on the upper bout.

For G400, its a lot less...but just try and find someone today to sell you a foot

or two!..(minim um order on wire is about 25ft)

If you buy the LP wiring kits (pots, caps, switch, and wire) it's a easy solution

to upgrade.. BUT...if you need just the wire itself,

it's a bit more difficult find a place to sell a couple of feet.

here's one source: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_wire.htm

Stew-Mac sell the vintage wire (50ft roll) for $23. You can also get 4 conductor

with a foil shield (25ft roll) for 25...that's about a dollar a foot and if you can

find a place that will sell you a foot or two, they are going to charge more than

that just for the "handling" aspect of cutting it off the roll.

it seems i need to rewire my g400. what do i need in terms of the wire? i had a quick look on ebay but they want to sell by the foot probably for the price of a roll of it.

What's wrong with these? Sold by the foot or meter. A couple of bucks each including postage?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Supplies-UK_Guitar-Circuit-Wire_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ18438623QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_026.htm

Don't skimp a couple of dimes after spending a few hundred squid on your guitar!

You can get it here by the foot ($.93 per foot). They also sell the rest of the stuff you need also.

One thing about buying by the foot, as least when buying it for more than one guitar, it's almost cheaper to buy a roll at stewmac than to buy it by the foot.

Like Dave said, a local guitar shop that does repairs will most likely have shielded wire.

I use anything from 18 to 22, depending on brand, type of wire and the size of the cavity... 18 is great to work with, but a bit on the big side for smaller, cramped cavities, especially shielded wire which tends to be a big thicker. If you can find it shielded 20 gauge is ideal, not to big but still easy enough to work with. I've even used 24g in a telecaster, but I had two stacked pots, a stereo jack and a large 3-way switch in a very smal space... it barely fit.

Dan

"you need about 4.5 feet of shielded wire because of the 3-way switch

location on the upper bout."

"What's wrong with these? Sold by the foot or meter. A couple of bucks each including postage?"

"Stew-Mac sell the vintage wire (50ft roll) for $23. You can also get 4 conductor

with a foil shield (25ft roll) for 25..."

well then the ebay stuff works out at about the same price of a roll because they won't combine postage for sure? i need a stew-mac in the uk. what is the exact type, name. gauge. just 2 wire will do. i don't think english guitar stores are this usefull even in this day and age maybe i should credit them? maybe it's living in a small town though. they never have what you want but thank goodness for online stuff. i think at that price point i'll have a roll... something noise free though!

Stew-Mac also sells a wiring kit' date=' which is a length of shielded wire, some hookup wire in two colors, and a 0.020 and a 0.050 cap. It's easy to miss because you have to scroll down the page to find it. That's what I used for my Sheraton II.[/quote']

That would be #4575 length of shielded & non-shielded and... ugh!.. two ceramic disc caps at

$5.63. ..not even Sprague orange drops which I like to use included at that price.

You could run shielded 4 conductor 28awg (with foil shield and separate gnd wire

to the 3 way switch..that give you a one run of 1ft of wire from the pots and takes care

of the 3 connections you need ..neck volume /bridge volume and switch output to the jack.

That would be #4575 length of shielded & non-shielded and... ugh!.. two ceramic disc caps at

$5.63. ..not even Sprague orange drops which I like to use included at that price.

You could run shielded 4 conductor 28awg (with foil shield and separate gnd wire

to the 3 way switch..that give you a one run of 1ft of wire from the pots and takes care

of the 3 connections you need ..neck volume /bridge volume and switch output to the jack.

Interesting. On a side note, I can get access to cables that are braided, and shielded that were designed for T1/PRI equipment interface. Hmm....I wonder if one of those.....

O:)

Archived