Gibson Brands Forums

What's your most expensive guitar?

The_Sentry

This is a funny question. The most I ever paid for a guitar was $1300 for a custom-made flamed maple jumbo acoustic flat-top with butterfly inlays in pearl and abalone, in 1986 (before prices went through the roof).

Then there's the '67 Ric 366/12 that my wife bought for me, value unknown (long story, but her son found it cheap at a Georgia music store, and later she made him sell it to her for what he had paid, then I gave it back to him for his birthday -- who needs a 12 string?); the '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent with original hard case that I bought in '82 for $425 and sold last year for $3100, and my current #1 electric, a '70 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that I bought in '97 for $750 and is worth maybe $1200-1500.

Balanced against these are my first guitar, a '60s Ventura jumbo that has a $300 bear-claw spruce top to replace the original plywood (work done in '91 by the luthier who built the butterfly guitar) --I bought it for $35 in '71 -- the '63 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve I got from its original owner for $40 in '74, the '63 Ampeg B15N I got for $175 in 1982....

So I guess I don't know the answer. The LP, the jumbo, the Ventura and the Silvertone are still around.

I paid $1,900.00 for this Guild X-500. They usually go for $2500 and up. However, it was my $599.00 Epiphone ES-175 copy that got me started back on hollowbodies. I've since sold it and bought two other Guilds. IMHO, Epiphone got it's fine reputation building hollowbodies. I'm glad to see they are still going strong!

Alex

guildx500ot6.jpg

3lpsmarL-1.jpg

The r-7 goldtop on the left I paid $1500 for and sold for $2000 with a few mods....the 80 deluxe I still have and I bought it for $750 quite a few years ago and I've been offered 4 figures for that one too....the 2001 LP standard I paid about a $1150 for and after some mods sold it for $1700 last year.

The 1975 Martin below just continues to increase in value and it's worth double what I paid(at least) when I bought it for around $1000 a few years ago.martind-35001.jpg

I don't think I ever paid too much for anything as usually (before I moved to the sticks) I bought from pawn shops or used at guitar stores...even then you could find the unpopular gibsons for around 600 dollars. Really since I have been playing I have only spent about $700.00 on a single guitar. Most are in the $150.00 to $400.00 range and now I only have about $1400.00 in guitars...my $700.00 Gibson SG is half of that...but it's the one I play most. I do remember going into Prosound in Colorado Springs one day and buying a midi controlled preamp that was hot at the time and paying over $1000.00 for that....and I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not buying the Marshall stack that was actually cheaper!!!!!](*,)

Well, I never paid more then 600€ for a guitar, of course second hand.

That's what I paid for my Asat classic Leo Fender Signature, years ago.

And that's what I paid for my January1966 stratocaster wich was in a terrible state (totally unpainted, awful ebony finger board, I made a complete restoration ).What is no more stock in this strat are the finish, the fingerboard, and the PU that are Texas Hot antiquity (PU covers are original). All the rest is OK and it looks and sounds wonderful.

Maybe A little bit to much "Fender" for an Epi forum, but ayway...

Here it is, unable to say how much I could sell it now ( to be honest, I think I'll never sell it, I sold a 100% stock 63' strat to pay the taxes years ago-I was very young and very stupid- and will always regret it...).

Strat3.jpg

Archived