Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Woods - Plain vs Plus Top

SkEpTiKaL

I'm not sure where I was reading, it might have even been here, but I read that the Plus Top uses a Mahogany/Alder mix (which I knew), but that the Plain Top uses all Mahogany. I know that the Plus Top is a veneer, and not a real maple cap, but is the Plain Top really all Mahogany? Or is this just a myth?

I'm not sure where I was reading' date=' it might have even been here, but I read that the Plus Top uses a Mahogany/Alder mix (which I knew), but that the Plain Top uses all Mahogany. I know that the Plus Top is a veneer, and not a real maple cap, but is the Plain Top really all Mahogany? Or is this just a myth?[/quote']

It's "commercial grade mahogany" that is available in China for a reasonable cost....

It's "commercial grade mahogany" that is available in China for a reasonable cost....

I know it's not the highest quality wood, but is it true that the Plus Top is a mix while the Plain Top is all "Mahogany"? If so, wouldn't the tone be better on a Plain Top? Or does the Alder have better tone?

I know it's not the highest quality wood' date=' but is it true that the Plus Top is a mix while the Plain Top is all "Mahogany"? If so, wouldn't the tone be better on a Plain Top? Or does the Alder have better tone?[/quote']

I have the custom (which is all "mahogany") and a plus model as far as LP's. I can tell you that stock? The Plus model sounds better vs. the Plain Top or Custom models. I don't know if it's a question of long experience with the veneer top, or whether it's a higher profile model (ie, they make more of them) but my plus so far as outshone my custom as far as outright tone. The custom was really dark with those stock epi pickups when I first bought it.

I know it's not the highest quality wood' date=' but is it true that the Plus Top is a mix while the Plain Top is all "Mahogany"? If so, wouldn't the tone be better on a Plain Top? Or does the Alder have better tone?[/quote']

Well here's what Wikipedia has to say about alder.

"Alder is popular as a material for electric guitar bodies. It is used by many guitar makers, notably the Fender Guitar Company, who use it on top quality instruments such as the Stratocaster and Jaguar. Alder provides a brighter tone than other woods (such as mahogany), and as alder is not a particularly dense wood it provides a resonant, well-rounded tone with excellent sustain."

My Goldtop is an all mahogany guitar and my custom is mahogany with a thin maple veneer top. Both have great tone. I think that the goldtop has a little longer sustain, but that is attributable to the difference in weight. The custom is 10 pounds and the goldtop is 8.5.

Aside from those differences, the goldtop has P90's and the custom has SD Pearlies. They both have differences in sound that make them unique. There are so many factors that affect sound that you need to compare guitars that are otherwise the same except for the woods.

Archived