Gibson Brands Forums

older epiphone,is it worth buying?

kevin134

I have a quick question, i came across this epiphone, described as a 60's model. Very little original outside of the neck or body, $400. Any ideas of the model and if its worth grabbing?

"Late 60's Epiphone electric solidbody modified, Kahler trem, 2 hot HB pups, Bell Brass pickguard & control cover, Brass nut, original red to bright yellow sunburst finish, flamed maple top and back. Wide neck with large block mother of pearl inlays, Schallers, gold hardware. Very low action. $400 obo"

l_a8db98e0cc494860c1ed5e5bf6d5226f.jpg

I have a quick question' date=' i came across this epiphone, described as a 60's model. Very little original outside of the neck or body, $400. Any ideas of the model and if its worth grabbing?

"Late 60's Epiphone electric solidbody modified, Kahler trem, 2 hot HB pups, Bell Brass pickguard & control cover, Brass nut, original red to bright yellow sunburst finish, flamed maple top and back. Wide neck with large block mother of pearl inlays, Schallers, gold hardware. Very low action. $400 obo"

[img']http://a280.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/2/l_a8db98e0cc494860c1ed5e5bf6d5226f.jpg[/img]

It's not a 60's model. (for future reference, if it has a bolt-on neck it's Asian and Asian production didn't begin until early 1971). That particular model was an ET-290 and it was made in Japan by Matsumoku from about 1972 until about 1978 and when brand new it had a street price around $200 which is about what they're worth today...perhaps $50 more if in exceptional condition with an original hard case, $50 less if it's been "modified". That particular guitar looks as if it was heavily subjected to the late 70's fad of brass everything and the Kahler trem unit does NOTHING to enhance what little, if any premium value it may have had so yes, less than $200 for that puppy. These were perhaps the best of the bolt-on neck models but they were still pretty entry-level in the grander scheme of production and materials things. We discuss a lot of Epiphone models from a lot of different time periods at http://epi.p3net.net so drop in and learn a lot more about your guitar.

Nelson

It looks like an epi Coronet' date=' but modified. I would venture a Japanese model. The pickguard is not original nor the pups as they would be mini humbuckers originally. The trem doesn't look stock either. As i look at it I'm thinking it may have been repainted as well. $400? Maybe, if you want to or can restore it.[/quote']

I looked through some old Epiphone catalogs ('63 & '65) and the body shape does

resemble a Coronet or Crestwood Custom..but the Crestwood had a hockey stick style

headstock with MOP block position markers (not including first fret)and an Epiphone "Bigsby

styled" vibrato tailpiece. The Coronet also had a hockey stick style headstock with dot

position markers, bigsby style vibrato arm/tp and so did the Wilshire.

The weird part (not including the electronic mods) is the headstock shape.

None of the '60s at least to '65 (according to my book) have the traditional

Epiphone (open book shaped) headstock. I don't think they were made offshore

until at least the early 70s.

EDIT:

Ok, so it looks like the model number has been determined already, in which case

it's not a '60s Epiphone. As far as the "schaller tuners", my MIK Epi Emp IIs had

those same gold asian "schaller style tuners"..with no markings on them. anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cherry red crestwood custom that was made in approx 1961. I have had it for about forty years and as a kid I did a stupid thing of removing the tremelo bar. Needless to say, over the years the tremelo bar has never been seen again. Can anyone advise of where to get one, or supply a close up photo of one so that I may try to have one made? Also, does anyone know what these guitars are worth? It is in excellent condition. I DO NOT WANT TO SELL IT! I am just curious. In 1971 a buddy wanted to trade me a 1960's Gison Les Les Paul gold top for it and I did not do it. Hmmm, did I do the right thing? Ahhh it has a lot of sentimental value. Thanks in advance!!!!

• 1 year later...

This is so weird.

That guitar pictured, I own. I bought it off Craigslist the exact same one. I got it from a guy in Joliet for $275. I was just googling Epiphone ET-290 when it came up, I have all the parts to restore it to original and am going to do so Friday. I actually have this same picture on my hard drive, the guy used it in the ad. I've seen these guitars go for 350 to even 700! So i jumped on it with some extra money. The neck is phenominal. The bridge is Schallers too, idk about the pickups the guy told me but I forgot.

What a strange coincidence!

This is so weird.

That guitar pictured' date=' [b']I own[/b]. I bought it off Craigslist the exact same one. I got it from a guy in Joliet for $275. I was just googling Epiphone ET-290 when it came up, I have all the parts to restore it to original and am going to do so Friday. I actually have this same picture on my hard drive, the guy used it in the ad. I've seen these guitars go for 350 to even 700! So i jumped on it with some extra money. The neck is phenominal. The bridge is Schallers too, idk about the pickups the guy told me but I forgot.

What a strange coincidence!

Lofi, Either "Mr. Seller" (of git in original post) is selling your guitar and you

don't know it yet, OR....

"Mr. Seller" is not being as truthful as would be desired, if pics of

ACTUAL guitar cannot be posted.

Kevin, if he/she cannot post pics or the REAL git, may want to avoid it.

OR, just for fun, contact/email them and ask if that's the pic of the ACTUAL

guitar (be sure to sound enthusiastic), see if you can catch 'em in a lie.

If they indicate it IS the REAL guitar, you'll know to "let it be"....

Archived