Gibson Brands Forums

Strange white spot on frets

Eric052492

I recieved my les paul custom (alpine white) today in the mail from musicians friend. It's a new guitar' date=' not used or a scratch n' dent. It has a white spot on the fretboard, is there a way to fix this at home? I've tried rubbing it but nothing has happened. Here is an image of it.

[/quote']

Oh.. that tiny little out-of-focus spot..I can barely see it..probably a speck of the the

white poly urethane or expoxy type finish they are using landed on the fb during

spraying. That's very hard stuff..probably would need to be scraped off with a

razor blade.

Will the razor blade end up scratching the wood though?

Not if you do it lightly and carefully..hold it perpendicular to the fingerboard at each edge

(use the ones sold to scrape paint off windows with the safety guard on one edge),

and draw it a few times across the paint spot.

Polish it off with #0000 steel wool or #400 wet/dry sandpaper, apply some lemon oil to

the fingerboard and you shouldn's see it anymore.

I've only been on this forum a short time, but I am impressed with the advice that is given here. However, this time these guys don't know what they are talking about.

What you have there is a deadly strain of mold, seal it in some sort of large plastic bag. I am licensed by the EPA to handle exclusively guitar mold. I will e-mail you my address, but I don't want to mislead you, these things never turn out as you would hope.

I've only been on this forum a short time' date=' but I am impressed with the advice that is given here. However, this time these guys don't know what they are talking about.

What you have there is a deadly strain of mold, seal it in some sort of large plastic bag. I am licensed by the EPA to handle exclusively guitar mold. I will e-mail you my address, but I don't want to mislead you, these things never turn out as you would hope.[/quote']

You know "Groucho"..you may be on to something. It is a well known fact that the

spalted guitars are made from maple that has had mold invading the wood pores

and actively working on the fibers to destroy the tree. The same could be true

in this situation and if left to it's own accord, the "white mold" could start to

spread, like a disease, and infect all that touch it. Nasty stuff this white mold!

Your kind and generous offer of having the owner (of the guitar with the "deadly mold")

is beyond the fringes of human compassion! We on this forum, want to collectively thank you in

a novel suggestion to counteract one of the (possibly) "deadlest guitar scourges"

known to mankind...and your... ultimate ecologically friendly "disposal" of this guitar.:-({|=

"Out damn spot"!...who said that?..was it "the Bard"..and was it Hamlet act 1 scene II?

Your kind and generous offer of having the owner (of the guitar with the "deadly mold")

is beyond the fringes of human compassion! We on this forum' date=' want to collectively thank you in

a novel suggestion to counteract one of the (possibly) "deadlest guitar scourges"

known to mankind...and your... ultimate ecologically friendly "disposal" of this guitar.:-

"Out damn spot"!...who said that?..was it "the Bard"..and was it Hamlet act 1 scene II?

[/quote']

carverman,

Us guitarist have to stick together, we all know that. I'm just trying to do my small part.

But on a serious note (no pun intended) did the owner of the spotted guitar get the white spot off the fret board?

I haven't tried yet' date=' I'm a bit nervous, I don't want to ruin anything. Would a place like guitar center remove it? If so, how much do you think it would be?[/quote']

They might do it for free or sell you something so you can do it yourself. When you tried rubbing it off, did you put anything on the rag (lighter fluid) or even water?

I believe MF and GC are all under same ownership, correct?

I used a sponge and some water' date=' a small but amount but enough to wet it. I'm not sure if GC and MF are under the same owners. I thought about sending it back to MF but after the shipping costs and restocking fees, I'm out over 100 dollars. [/quote']

No, don't send it back. Even if someone was to charge you $25 to fix it, it beats the return cost.

If you have a GC near you, take it in. I would try to get there when they are slow. If the tech is just standing around or doing a simple task, he or she might just get some steel wool or a cleaner and take care of it.

You can do it yourself without hurting anything, just follow the advice the guys noted above. And if you don't want to do any of it - I'll send you the large plastic bags and dispose of it properly.

You are going to start working on your guitars at some point, now is a good time. If you use steel wool, put plastic over your pick-ups so the magnets don't draw in the steel dust. Before removing the plastic, be sure to wipe down the fret board real good or vacuum it to remove all dust.

Mold? Obviously you old farts have forgotten your youth. First clue? It's on the neck. It's a zit! Leave it alone' date=' and it'll goo all over things eventually, but if you pick at it, it could turn into acne and spread all over!

[/quote']

I'm sure you must have meant "old smarts"? Some of us were playing Epiphones..and the

kind Gibson *used* to make...long before some of yas were even born...so age

before beauty as the saying goes. O:)

Mold? Obviously you old farts have forgotten your youth. First clue? It's on the neck. It's a zit! Leave it alone' date=' and it'll goo all over things eventually, but if you pick at it, it could turn into acne and spread all over!

[/quote']

Oh my god, I have tears in my eyes LOL. I think your all wrong....its a birth mark. All guitars have them, you just need to find them. .....or, the owner was really really excited to get the new guitar.....sorry mods:)

Will it really go away in time?

Yes, RotcanX is probably right, so just ignore the white spot (you probably see it more so than anyone else). Just play it and enjoy it. Over time it should fade away and if not, maybe you will be comfortable with fixing it yourself.

It doesn't effect the sound, so let the band play on.

Archived