Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Birdseye-Ever??

Peterpuck

Hey, I've been trying to find an epiphone with birdseye maple in a "blue" finish? I've seen them in sunburst and various shades of amber but never in blue. I know they have produced epiphone Les Pauls in both a flame top and a quilt top but have never seen a blue birdseye. Has anyone ever seen such an animal and if not am I the only one that thinks this finish combination would be killer!!!?

Hey' date=' I've been trying to find an epiphone with birdseye maple in a "blue" finish? I've seen them in sunburst and various shades of amber but never in blue. I know they have produced epiphone Les Pauls in both a flame top and a quilt top but have never seen a blue birdseye. Has anyone ever seen such an animal and if not am I the only one that thinks this finish combination would be killer!!!?[/quote']

I've never seen one in blue birdseye either. Birdseye maple is type of figured

wood that is a bit rarer than flamed/tigerstripe/fiddleback, and if they

would consider making those, it might only be available on Gibson Les Pauls.

The BluesHawk is out of production..at least I think.

I just can't see that wood becoming available in large production quantities that

the oriental factories need, even as a very thin veneer. Those factories don't have

custom shops, and this would be one case for a custom shop limited production.

Fascinating idea though..I may go out and try and score/secure some birdeyes

for the 3/4 inch carved top of my next project..the DC LP type..."bluesmaster".

I can use a blue aniline (water based stain) to stain it...

Roy Orbison had a tune a while ago "Blue By You", I could name it that or

"bleu by me" ? :-({|=

Reply to Carverman

Roy Orbison had a tune a while ago "Blue By You", I could name it that or

"bleu by me" ?

I also have a Blue 1973 Large BLock Corvette that I tried to get a personalized license plate with "Blewbyu" but someone already had that!!! I had to settle for "73bgblk".

BTW, I've also been looking to get a fix me-upper birdseye in the hopes of refinishing it in blue. The ultimate would be to have it decked out with a 12-string neck but I'm not so sure I want to spend that much... but it would be VERY CUSTOM!!!

I think I saw a blue birdseye once. Can't recall exactly since I'm not partial to blue guitars(sorry Mat)

A 12-string would be feasable. There are doubleheaded tuners out there. Fit a new nut, saddles, a 12-string tailpiece and possibly some new PUs. It will be tight but it can be done.

Archived