Gibson Brands Forums

Gary Moore sound from epi valve junior?

mrjones200x

Yeah, we've sort of drifted way OT, haven't we? ;-)

original vintage '65 Vibrolux Reveb

It's been called "the greatest amp ever made for humbucker equipped guitars" (Teague and Sprung - Fender amps, the first 50 years). I've got a '66 Pro Reverb, which is called by the same authors "the greatest amp ever made for single coil guitars."

It's really all in what YOU like to hear, though, not what some author(s) like to hear, or what any particular guitar player anywhere likes to hear. If it moves YOU, that's where it's at, whether it's a '59 Bassman, a '65 Vibrolux, or a Valve Jr.

Btw, I was fortunate enough to see a dead mint '65 VR at a music store a few years ago. A 15 year old girl had brought it in to trade (even up...she didn't have a clue) for a small SS bass amp. Her grandfather had bought it new, played it once, parked it in a closet, and there it sat until he died and passed it on to her. It still had the original store tags on it. Luckily for her (and humanity, for that matter), the store was reputable enough to refuse to take it on trade, and offered instead to sell it on consignment for her. They let her take her SS bass amp home in the meantime. Remarkable.

Danelectro Coolcat Drive?

Haven't tried it or any of the Danelectro pedals, but people do seem to like them. For the price, it seems that they're decent sounding pedals, albeit housed in pretty cheesy packages. Reminds me of an Arion chorus pedal I had years ago. Bought it new for probably $40, if that. I liked it. I didn't want to actually, because it was plastic, but the damn thing sounded really good. Now, IF you can find them, they tend to go for a couple hundred dollars. Doh!

That is remarkable. Poor kid would have definitely been hating herself once she found out...I know I would have goes without having to say it. I'm hating it just thinking about it happening it to someone else.

BTW...that amp did more than move me, like I said I think it's ruined me. I'll see what happens after the coming hollidays, it's been ther for quite a while....will see. If not I hope they all sound close enough cause I'm pretty sure I'll be looking into one. You're lucky you got yours.

Anyhow you're right about drifting. I better quit before we get to far....sorry mr jones, my fault.

there's a disconnect sometimes between what people actually used' date=' and the idea that higher output is some key to improvement.

Personally, I don't often care for high output pups. they seem to me to lose the tone.. they're just driving the preamp harder..

and somehow, the mojo seems to, if not disappear, shift to voodoo.

IOW they're different but so many of the classic rock and blues guys, even to contemporary, have the usual approx. 8K humbucks.

I confess to not having any Gary Moore stuff.. but I've got a ton of blues here..

I have no problem jamming away with my VJ marshall modded.

exact.. nope. some things need sustain added.. but hey, when I'm cranking that VJ up and I don't have enough sustain.. I have a very strong suspicion they either had a way huge amp way cranked up.. or added sustain otherwise.

But tonewise. you ought to get your VJ up to snuff.. and then see if you aren't as happy with what it is as you are with any single sound or tone from anyone.

To me, that's the key. When I can use one little amp and go from zz to ac to jimmy to bb to eric to peter.. etc etc etc..

(sure, switching guitars now and then)..and the only thing 'wrong' is what efx they may have had and the money they got.. I'm

satisfied.

TWANG[/quote']I have a Digitech GNX3000, it can create just about anything you'd want! Even Satch!

[dead mint '65 VR ]

Luckily for her (and humanity' date=' for that matter), the store was reputable enough to refuse to take it on trade, and offered instead to sell it on consignment for her. They let her take her SS bass amp home in the meantime. Remarkable.

[/quote']

That is remarkable. It's just sad how rare that is becoming these days.

About half of my recent local CL-list transactions some unscrupulous ƒ-hole tried and/or has screwed me over. Score in one year: 2 sets of fake Burstbuckers, a fake Gotoh TOM, and fake Epi LP... out of maybe 6 or 7 transactions! It's hard not to get cynical about humanity...

You know you're getting old when the Name Gary Moore means a small dude with a crewcut and a bowtie that hosted "I've Got a Secret"... :-({|=

It's more like you know you're getting old when you can remember he spelled his name with two rr's (Garry Moore)... :}

-g

Archived