Gibson Brands Forums

an urgent question

dimitri2803

i have a very urgent question.... will be really grateful if i get the answer quickly.....want some expert advice.....i wanna buy an electric lead guitar from epiphone or gibson....les paul style....jet black is preferred.....tremolo bar is a must....price range is 250-400 dollars.....what should be the possible choice?.....plz reply.....

i have a very urgent question.... will be really grateful if i get the answer quickly.....want some expert advice.....i wanna buy an electric lead guitar from epiphone or gibson....les paul style....jet black is preferred.....tremolo bar is a must....price range is 250-400 dollars.....what should be the possible choice?.....plz reply.....

Well, there are none, no, nada, zip, zilch and less-than-one, Epiphone Les Paul models with a tremolo of any kind listed as a current model.

well then plz tell me how to do it.... frst mention some models according to my request and then prescribe a trem package.....the sum total must not exceed 400 dollars...plz advise

Unless someone knows of another way....here it goes. Get a router and template for the bridge....start cutting...when your done route all the way through the guitar and route a big 8-[ hole in the back side for the springs. You'll basically put a big hole in the middle of your guitar, then search ebay for a used floyd rose trem system $100+-. Drill your screw holes and mount it.

I guess the point I am getting to is that there are some guitars that already have this setup with much less hassle than its going to be to hack up a perfectly good LP. If your short on time, there is no short answer to getting this done. If your a Luthier...you could probably knock it out in a weekend, but a novice....a week at best cause your going to want to make it all straight and correct.

I don't even know if hacking a big hole in the LP is even going to make it still sound like an LP....I would say for your time and effort, go buy a guitar with a Trem system already in it.

honestly, you'll sleep better at night. Oh if you do not already have the tools....and the Trem, your going to be dumping half your money into the tools to do the job right...don't forget to have it setup professionally when your done...:-s

Well, I have never used one personally, but I have heard about OK experiences with the Les Trem from Stew Mac. Supposedly replaces the existing stop tailpiece without any drilling or other woodworking:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/1/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolos/Details.html#details

Are you absolutely dead set on a Les Paul? Given your budget, I'd look very closely at an ebony G-400.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGG4EBCH/

Amazing guitars for the money. Probably the best bang-for-buck Epiphone out there. And you could still fit a Les Trem in place of the stop tail piece if you are desperate for a vibrato system...

Unless someone knows of another way....here it goes. Get a router and template for the bridge....start cutting...when your done route all the way through the guitar and route a big O:) hole in the back side for the springs. You'll basically put a big hole in the middle of your guitar' date=' then search ebay for a used floyd rose trem system $100+-. Drill your screw holes and mount it.

I guess the point I am getting to is that there are some guitars that already have this setup with much less hassle than its going to be to hack up a perfectly good LP. If your short on time, there is no short answer to getting this done. If your a Luthier...you could probably knock it out in a weekend, but a novice....a week at best cause your going to want to make it all straight and correct.

I don't even know if hacking a big hole in the LP is even going to make it still sound like an LP....I would say for your time and effort, go buy a guitar with a Trem system already in it.

honestly, you'll sleep better at night. Oh if you do not already have the tools....and the Trem, your going to be dumping half your money into the tools to do the job right...don't forget to have it setup professionally when your done...O:) [/quote']

...and dont forget the lock nut. Floyd - locknut = useless.

First, are you a "Dive Bomber," or want the temelo for just some nice accents, now and then?

Floyd Rose and that ilk for "Dive Bombing," and Bigsby/Maestro for just nice little accents, now and then.

ALL can be put on, later. The Floyd Rose type, will require the most work/modding/routing, etc. The Bigsby

types are much easier to install.

CB

No routing is required for a simple Bigsby vibrato system available from GuitarCenter(.com).

several atyles are available and can be installed in about 90 minutes with a hand drill and simple tools.

Step by step instructions are included with each kit, and guitar setup for after its installed can be found

at Fenders website.(scale length,intonation measurements, string height,pickup height, etc.)

Heres a pic of my Telecaster with a Bigsby I installed myself.

GarysCam032.jpg

i wanna buy an electric lead guitar from epiphone or gibson....les paul style....jet black is preferred.....tremolo bar is a must....price range is 250-400 dollars.....what should be the possible choice?.....plz reply.....

les paul style - well it's chambered and has mini-hums' date=' but then so do some LPs...[/i']

jet black - check!

tremolo bar is a must - check!

price range is 250-400 dollars - can you find another $100?

epiphone or gibson - er, no, actually...

ssshhhhh......

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Pro-Jet-with-Bigsby?sku=511587&src=3SOSWXXA

First' date=' are you a "Dive Bomber," or want the temelo for just some nice accents, now and then?

Floyd Rose and that ilk for "Dive Bombing," and Bigsby/Maestro for just nice little accents, now and then.

ALL can be put on, later. The Floyd Rose type, will require the most work/modding/routing, etc. The Bigsby

CB[/quote']

I want to know about this... i wanted to install a bigsby in a guitar (or planning on doing it later on some guitar).

What is wrong with the bigsbys? i want a bigsby and use it... lets say alittle more than what a "bigsby user" does.

I really don't like floyd rose trems cause I dont like the feel nor sound. It doesn't have that bigsby sound.

Will the problem be fixed if Locking tuners, graphite nut (or black tusq nut from graph tech), and roller saddles were added?

I put a trem on my Les Paul back in the 80s. It had a plate that was made to sit on a carved top. It connected via the posts on the tail piece. The only mod I did was drill 2 small holes for the locking nut. I took this off and I think I gave it to my brother....

I'm not positive, but I think it was made by Khaler??? I'm not sure if they make them anylonger either?

You can get a Goth for 300 bucks, but with a trem? That'll definitely cost more.

First' date=' are you a "Dive Bomber," or want the temelo for just some nice accents, now and then?

CB[/quote']

Agreed. If you're into a lot of trem work, then I don't see the point of even looking at a guitar that is set up with a TOM. Cost wise you're better off going with a guitar that comes with a Floyd Rose stock. (And there's probably a few used at the local pawn shop, in black no less.....)

Jeff Beck aside, I don't even think I'd look at a Fender for that since Beck has his guitars retrofitted with a nut that has bearings in it to keep the strings from binding up against the nut.

At that price.......

:)

I was just thinking I don't know if a bigsby will fit the carved top.... ? anyone done one. which model is it?

Never had one' date=' never done one. But Epiphone did have some Les Pauls available in the late '90s/turn of the century with Bigsby B5 clones, including a Les Paul Custom. But I think the more preferred version would use a B3 or B7 type.

Bigsby recommends a B7 (or B70 or B700, or B12):

[img']http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/images/imager/Les_Paul_BLK_B7G_335.jpg[/img]

Archived