Gibson Brands Forums

This=[b]GAS[/b]

oldpriest

THis is interesting. I've been coming across these great deals for Gibson Les Pauls on Detroit's CL. I'll email them with some very specific questions, like the serial number, and I never hear from them.

Also, I came across a CL listing for a Gibson 335 for $1200. Sounds like a great deal. I went to E-bay to check out prices and found the exact same guitar with exactly the same description, it had 19 bids and the price was up to $1800. I e-mailed the CL lister to find out what was going on. He came back with some bull s***t story about the top bidder dropping out. He then went on to explain that he was too busy to see me but that he would send an invoice for the guitar and once the check cleared his shipping company would send it from Oregon. HA HA HA.

Watch out, there are a lot of scammers on CL.

Oldpriest,

Look the other way ...Quickly

ef_in_fla nailed it with his LINK.

The same exact photo is on Ebay. Craiglist says Omaha...Ebay says Durango, Colorado.

The guy on Ebay says it is a 78 and he bought it from a collector. The one on CL says it was in his Grandfather's attic and it is early 70's.

I have a 76 Gibson Les Paul Custom. (not exactly the same guitar)....but... It cost $650 back then.

I am sure mine is worth a few grand right now.

The case alone cost over $150 today. I don't believe the case in the pic with the cloth coverup was even made back then.

The bridge looks wrong but I can't tell for sure from the pic.

On Ebay the bidding is up to over $1000 with reserve not met. CL lists it at $650.

The starting bidding on E was Aug, 28. CL has it listed at the $650 as of Sept 3.

Something just ain't right.

Oldpriest' date='

Look the other way ...Quickly

The same exact photo is on Ebay. Craiglist says Omaha...Ebay says Durango, Colorado.

The guy on Ebay says it is a 78 and he bought it from a collector. The one on CL says it was in his Grandfather's attic and it is early 70's.

I have a 76 Gibson Les Paul Custom. (not exactly the same guitar)....but... It cost $650 back then.

I am sure mine is worth a few grand right now.

The case alone cost over $150 today.

I don't believe the case in the pic with the cloth coverup was even made back then.

Something just ain't right.[/quote']

I agree with you! This is a "re-issue" from asia at that price. The story about

"his grandfather dieing and finding it in his grandfather's attic" sounds like something

cleverly made up to attract un-informed vintage Gibson LP buyers..who would salvate if they

could get a chance to bid on what could be perceived as "vintage 1970s"

It brings us back to the old story..on the internet you can be whomever you want to

be and the same applies to guitars. Fakes can be passed off as real.

A genuine 70s LP Gold top would go for thousands today...there is no way someone

would sell a real Gibson at that price..you can get more for it at a guitar dealer..

but there are suckers born every minute..and an un-informed bidder in a bidding

frenzy could net the scammer a healthy profit.

Remember the wise man's saying.."if it's too good to be true..THEN IT IS!

EDIT: The case looks too new and the plush for a 70s Gibson is not the correct

colour. Most late 60s/early 70s Gibson cases came with a gold-orange plush.

I don't know when they switched to that familiar pink plush we see now, but

in any case..it just looks like an aftermarket case.

Maybe his "grandfather" didn't have a case for it when he bought it and just

carried it around in a gunny sack...LOL!

Here's a link that provides a very rough idea of what a real and genuine 70s vintage

Gibson Lp *could* be worth...but a Guitar Blue Book would provide a better

idea of the value.

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/01/gibson-les-paul-deluxe.html

Archived