Gibson Brands Forums

Floyd equipped Les Paul

Trojon

Wow just got the new catalog from GC and there is a new Gibson Les Paul with an original floyd rose. I believe they're calling it the Les Paul Axcess and its from the custom shop. They claim it has a slightly thinner rear-contoured body making it the most comfortable Les Paul ever and it runs a little bit under US $3800.00. Now the million dollar question, will Epi find a way to get a version to the Epi faithful. Time will tell.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/axcess/AxcessIcedTea.html

Count me out on that one. One of the main attraction to the LP's and the "Gibson" lines (or copies) was the TOM. I used to have a Floyd...hated it. Every time my hand would rest on the floating bridge...

](*,)

(Even my strats have the bridges jacked down all the way to the body.)

I also serviced one a few months back. Ugh....give me the simple thing that works every time...

Interesting point layboomo but I would have to disagree with you on it. The Kahler trem is more expensive, goes out of tune when a note is bent, is kind of an eyesoar and doesn't have the reputation the floyd has. There is a guy that put together an interesting, but long, video series on youtube pitting the floyd rose vs. the Kahler trem. The only plus of the Kahler trem is less routing but the fact that it goes out of tune when you bend a note is enough for anyone to pick the floyd.

Most of the (recessed-)Floyd-LPs you see are custom made LPs. You can't just slap a Floyd on a LP without straightening the neck angle of the neck.

Exactly! I'm not a dive bomber by nature,but I've owned and setup many a whammy equiped guitar and I currently have a warmouth strat with a Kahler on it with a locking nut and it is by far the most stable trem equipped guitar I've ever seen. There are weaknesses and strengths to both systems IMHO,but if they are both set up correctly they are quite stable...to me a Kahler just feels really solid compared to a floyd....but again I'm not a heavy whammy user.

Exactly! I'm not a dive bomber by nature' date='but I've owned and setup many a whammy equiped guitar and I currently have a warmouth strat with a Kahler on it with a locking nut and it is by far the most stable trem equipped guitar I've ever seen. There are weaknesses and strengths to both systems IMHO,but if they are both set up correctly they are quite stable...to me a Kahler just feels really solid compared to a floyd....but again I'm not a heavy whammy user.[/quote']

I have very little hands-on experience with Kahlers. Certainly never owned one, except for a clone. My experiences varied from fantastic to so-so.

The problem is Kahler has had many different models(including Floyd-types). So saying a Kahler is better or worse than a Floyd is a bit generalising.

I liked the clone, best divebomb experience I had, alltho visually it was more a tremolo with a guitar attached and I went through a new pack of strings about every 2 days...:D

I have very little hands-on experience with Kahlers. Certainly never owned one' date=' except for a clone. My experiences varied from fantastic to so-so.

The problem is Kahler has had many different models(including Floyd-types). So saying a Kahler is better or worse than a Floyd is a bit generalising.

I liked the clone, best divebomb experience I had, alltho visually it was more a tremolo with a guitar attached and I went through a new pack of strings about every 2 days...:D [/quote']

Yup very true...the Kahler on my strat is their best model so I may be little biased that way. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other at all...just saying I never had any going out of tune issues with mine at all! Truth be told I prefer hard tail guitars in general...but it's fun to have one or two dive bombers in the fleet!

Edit: I just watched this 4 part series and it's pretty interesting stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1eiMZ5nUk . The Kahler sounds better on the smoother style stuff...but it won't do the flutter effects like a tight original Floyd etc...etc...

Archived