Gibson Brands Forums

Rockabilly/Psychobilly Signature?

The_Sentry

In light of how Slash is now endorsing another Les Paul, Zakk Wylde's got 3 models of his own, and you've got a few folks endorsing the SG/G-400 (Angus Young, Tony Iommi), my question to Gibson and Epiphone...what about the archtops?

I know they're a hit with the jazz folks, but what about the rockabilly/psychobilly punk players who use these guitars? I know a few of them end up with endorsements from other brands (notably Brian Setzer) but what about some other people out there, even from international markets? (The only non-jazz archtop that comes to mind that is close to rock is Lifeson's Gibson. But, that's more of a case of hard rock.)

So how about a signature archtop from a psychobilly punk or older rockabilly player? I'll bet they'd have an interesting take on these classics.

For your listening pleasure:

Reverend Horton Heat's "Psychobilly Freakout"

Bambooland: "Batmobile"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv8ILbppvcs&feature=related

A pefect example of an archtop used in a "Non Jazz Manner": Terror Train, "Last Train To Texas"

A personal fave....Los Straightjackets...

And just for fun...Brian Setzer, Billy Zoom, and James Intveld "Good Rockin' Tonight"

When I think of that genre' date=' I think of Gretsch, not Epiphone. Specifically, I think of Gretsch Brian Setzer models.[/quote']

Likewise. And therein is the issue.

2 reasons for posting this:

1. By getting rid of the Elitists, and without Gibson picking up the slack, archtops got the worst of it as far as the scale-back goes. I don't know if this is wise in light of how it was those same archtop models that really opened up the door to Epiphone's resurgence.

2. If psychobilly punk is due for a comeback (and my money is that it will since the whole pop-punk sub-genre is dead), this implies that the company that is going to reap the benefits of such a revival is Gretsch....Not Gibson, or Epiphone since so many associate that brand with that kind of music, which is essentially straight up, old school rock and roll.

....IMHO Epi SHOULD market to this group........there's no reason to conscientiously shut the door on a potential market, or a consumer due to apathy, and an urge to sell 25 different variations of the same guitar model.

i thought that's what the "kat" series guitars were for. kinda. but with that $500 gretsch out there' date=' i'd probably look there, first.[/quote']

I was looking at that line of Gretsch's when I discovered the Wildkat. For me, the Kat won out.

I think Epi could benefiet from trying to compete. True, they would be the underdog, but your rebels would go with it if the product satisfied. It would just take one "star" so to speak to bust it open.

And Reverend Horton Heat kicks major ***! I've seen him in s small club in Fayetteville, Arkansas several years ago and the memory still " haunts" me. Incredible show, albeit, too loud for the venue. The room's acoustic quality couldn't handle it. Kinda funny when you consider his opinions on the micing of drums and all that. (He thinks it's degraded the art of drumming) What a character, talent, and vibe though! Hope he get's near my locale again sometime.

In light of how Slash is now endorsing another Les Paul' date=' Zakk Wylde's got 3 models of his own, and you've got a few folks endorsing the SG/G-400 (Angus Young, Tony Iommi), my question to Gibson and Epiphone...what about the archtops?

I know they're a hit with the jazz folks, but what about the rockabilly/psychobilly punk players who use these guitars? I know a few of them end up with endorsements from other brands (notably Brian Setzer) but what about some other people out there, even from international markets? (The only non-jazz archtop that comes to mind that is close to rock is Lifeson's Gibson. But, that's more of a case of hard rock.)

So how about a signature archtop from a psychobilly punk or older rockabilly player? I'll bet they'd have an interesting take on these classics.

A pefect example of an archtop used in a "Non Jazz Manner": Terror Train, "Last Train To Texas"

And just for fun...Brian Setzer, Billy Zoom, and James Intveld "Good Rockin' Tonight"

[/quote']

Well that's why they put the Wildkat in the lineup...to test the Gretsch waters so to speak. If the sales numbers were really strong you would have seen other models by now.....but to be honest most people are gonna buy a $500 Gretsch before they even think about an Epi for that genre of music IMHO.

Is it the sound of a hollowbody these folks desire or is it the look of the hollowbody that fits this genre? I always thought Rockabilly was a retro thing - down to hairdoos, ect. These psyco versions of Rockabilly sound very punk oriented to me. I would think a solid body would suffice in a pinch. Well, this is my opinion anyway.

Jazz, punk, Rockabilly, Psycobilly or whatever, it would be a shame if hollowbodies, such as Epiphone was making, are not made available to musicians on a budget.

Alex

Is it the sound of a hollowbody these folks desire or is it the look of the hollowbody that fits this genre? I always thought Rockabilly was a retro thing - down to hairdoos' date=' ect. These psyco versions of Rockabilly sound very punk oriented to me. I would think a solid body would suffice in a pinch. Well, this is my opinion anyway.

Jazz, punk, Rockabilly, Psycobilly or whatever, it would be a shame if hollowbodies, such as Epiphone was making, are not made available to musicians on a budget.

Alex

[/quote']

Well Alex although I'm no expert on the genre...I think it's most definitely about the sound and the whole big body bigsby vibe is a must have for that classic twang/rockabilly thing IMHO.

Is it the sound of a hollowbody these folks desire or is it the look of the hollowbody that fits this genre? I always thought Rockabilly was a retro thing - down to hairdoos' date=' ect. These psyco versions of Rockabilly sound very punk oriented to me. I would think a solid body would suffice in a pinch. Well, this is my opinion anyway.

Alex

[/quote']

I'm sort of in agreement. A lot of these guys are playing those huge hollowbodies or archtops. But in light of how they're PUNKS per se and not completely tied to old-school rock, why can't they be targeted with something that will deliver that old tone, as well as something that can be used for even super distorted metal riffing as well as acoustic stuff?

The Wildkat, be it what it is, looks really small next to these guitars. And, I'm curious as to whether or not it has the same tone or sound. It also makes me wonder why they killed off the Zephyr and more specifically the ES-295 instead of reconsidering them for this sort of customer.

(And even those guys who aren't playing the hollow bodies....a lot of them seem to otherwise gravitate towards guitars that could be filled nicely by a guitar like the LE Wilshire.)

I'm sort of in agreement. A lot of these guys are playing those huge hollowbodies or archtops. But in light of how they're PUNKS per se and not completely tied to old-school rock' date=' why can't they be targeted with something that will deliver that old tone, as well as something that can be used for even super distorted metal riffing as well as acoustic stuff?

The Wildkat, be it what it is, looks really small next to these guitars. And, I'm curious as to whether or not it has the same tone or sound. It also makes me wonder why they killed off the Zephyr and more specifically the ES-295 instead of reconsidering them for this sort of customer.

(And even those guys who aren't playing the hollow bodies....a lot of them seem to otherwise gravitate towards guitars that could be filled nicely by a guitar like the LE Wilshire.)[/quote']

Maybe I'm missing something??? From the clips I saw it was all pretty straight ahead rockabilly sounds with the exception of the surf stuff and I didn't hear alot of high gain stuff...obviously hollowbodies and high gain don't mix very well......beyond that it's sounding like you want to see an Epi built bigsby Telecaster or something similar to that.?

Maybe I'm missing something??? From the clips I saw it was all pretty straight ahead rockabilly sounds with the exception of the surf stuff and I didn't hear alot of high gain stuff...obviously hollowbodies and high gain don't mix very well......beyond that it's sounding like you want to see an Epi built bigsby Telecaster or something similar to that.?

Actually, I'd be happy with a Dot or a hollow body that had a Bigsby and some of those EpiActive pickups that can go active or passive (Once you go active on a pup like that, how much of a difference does the body make?). I'm not a complete stranger to this music, or punk rock. A lot of these bands will go for this stuff, but then they'll turn around and play something harder, or they'll mix it up between metal riffing and ska breaks. It's true that a solid body can do those things, but there is a certain tone to the archtops and hollow bodies which is obviously appealing....still.

Actually' date=' I'd be happy with a Dot or a hollow body that had a Bigsby and some of those EpiActive pickups that can go active or passive (Once you go active on a pup like that, how much of a difference does the body make?). I'm not a complete stranger to this music, or punk rock. A lot of these bands will go for this stuff, but then they'll turn around and play something harder, or they'll mix it up between metal riffing and ska breaks. It's true that a solid body can do those things, but there is a certain tone to the archtops and hollow bodies which is obviously appealing....still. [/quote']

Look at a Wildcat in all honesty.....I think they are very cool guitars and if you like the p-90 sound,or more importantly if the p-90's have enough gain and growl for you........it's a bang for the buck...twang for the buck winner IMHO. Active pickups just like passive will still be prone to feedback in a hollowbody,but they will certainly be better with the higher gain stuff than say a p-90 noise wise.

Look at a Wildcat in all honesty.....I think they are very cool guitars and if you like the p-90 sound' date='or more importantly if the p-90's have enough gain and growl for you........it's a bang for the buck...twang for the buck winner IMHO. Active pickups just like passive will still be prone to feedback in a hollowbody,but they will certainly be better with the higher gain stuff than say a p-90 noise wise.[/quote']

Haha. I wish they made a left handed model. The Wildkat is a cool little guitar, but as far as archtops and Epiphone I'd have to choose between the Dot and the Sheraton II (although neither guitar would be bad for rockabilly/psychobilly stuff.)

i actually got my hands on an electromatic at gc the other day, and i gotta tell you, as much as i wanted to like it, it was kinda... meh. maybe it was a dud, or the amp, or maybe i'm just funny about hollows, but i was wasn't feeling it. felt fine, played fine, sounded fine, but that was it. just "fine". i would have liked to spend more time with it, and of course, put different strings and pickups on it, too.

I was HOPING, they would make an "Elitist" Kat series (Yeah, I know...a "Pipe" dream), but even with the standard

versions, you could certainly put in TV Jones "Gretsch" filtertron/Supertron type pickups, or even DeArmond types,

if you so desired, and have a very interesting/unique guitar. I've often wondered about doing just that....for the fun

of it? But, of course, FIRST I have to get one! LOL!

CB

A pefect example of an archtop used in a "Non Jazz Manner": Terror Train' date=' "Last Train To Texas"

[/quote']

There's this guy using a dot but this is a cover of a band called fall out boy. This guy did some other covers and I was surprised that a dot could get that tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgpxgWE_2M

GC

Edit: btw he isn't really famous but he's got a youtube record for amount of views or something.

There's this guy using a dot but this is a cover of a band called fall out boy. This guy did some other covers and I was surprised that a dot could get that tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgpxgWE_2M

GC

Edit: btw he isn't really famous but he's got a youtube record for amount of views or something.

You like that??? Sounds like sh#t to me...sorry but that sounds like any guitar through a cheap dirt box pedal to me. Maybe I'm just old?8-[

I was HOPING' date=' they would make an "Elitist" Kat series (Yeah, I know...a "Pipe" dream), but even with the standard

versions, you could certainly put in TV Jones "Gretsch" filtertron/Supertron type pickups, or even DeArmond types,

if you so desired, and have a very interesting/unique guitar. I've often wondered about doing just that....for the fun

of it? But, of course, FIRST I have to get one! LOL!

CB[/quote']an elitist version of the custom white one would have been nutty. though i as aesthetically opposed to the mini hum/hum combo, it is a really good idea, especially for that sort of thing; what i'm assuming the "target market" for the kats is.

You like that??? Sounds like sh#t to me...sorry but that sounds like any guitar through a cheap dirt box pedal to me. Maybe I'm just old?8-[

Guess I got a soft spot for alt. rock lol. It's kind of an acquired taste and yeah the guitars do sound pretty harsh in alt. rock. I was just saying that I didn't expect that sound from a dot.

GC

Archived