Gibson Brands Forums

Is it the Elistis Les Paul's case strong enough?

salas

To be honest with you, I don't think that there is any conventional case that is strong enough to withstand the horrific maltreatment that checked luggage receives from the airlines, (except maybe incredibly expensive professional grade flightcases). Anything else...well, you might get lucky, you might not. I flew a couple of years ago with my acoustic, and the snotty airline agent demanded that I checked my guitar: "Check it, or don't fly Sir, your choice." The guitar was in a Gator ABS (hardshell) case. Amazingly the guitar survived OK, but the case was a complete wreck. Destroyed. Wouldn't open / close. Huge tear in the side. $0 compensation from the airline. They could not have cared less.

Thing is, it's a crap-shoot whether they'll let you take the guitar as carry-on, or force you to check it. These days the airlines have kind of got the upper-hand, and can talk to you however they please...

An Elitist LP would be a helluva guitar to see turned into fragments. Choose carefully before you fly...Maybe invest in a proper flight case.

Wouldn't "check" a guitar UNLESS it was in a lockable' date=' professional grade "Flight case!" Period!

In fact, I'd be dubious to get on an commercial airplane, anymore, in this country...the way they operate,

treat their "customers," and "maintain" their aircraft! Some scray "sh..!"

But, that's just me!

CB[/quote']

While sitting on a plane waiting to take off, I saw a baggage handler attempt to throw a Zero Halliburton camera suitcase (those aluminum ones that cost hundreds of dollars) onto the top of a luggage carrier cart. He overshot it, and it sailed completely over the cart and crashed on the asphalt on the other side. No sign of concern on his face. He threw it again, less hard this time, and it landed on top of the other suitcases.

While sitting on a plane waiting to take off' date=' I saw a baggage handler attempt to [b']throw[/b] a Zero Halliburton camera suitcase (those aluminum ones that cost hundreds of dollars) onto the top of a luggage carrier cart. He overshot it, and it sailed completely over the cart and crashed on the asphalt on the other side. No sign of concern on his face. He threw it again, less hard this time, and it landed on top of the other suitcases.

Yeah, I know...I've watched that very same thing happen, and cringed, at the sight of it...knowing, that

had I not insisted on "carrying on," my camera case....it could have been my stuff, that was so treated!

But, if we put up with it, it will never change....probably get even worse. This is very depressing....

CB

Wouldn't "check" a guitar UNLESS it was in a lockable' date=' professional grade "Flight case!" Period!

In fact, I'd be dubious to get on an commercial airplane, anymore, in this country...the way they operate,

treat their "customers," and "maintain" their aircraft! Some scray "sh..!"

But, that's just me!

CB[/quote']

Pretty sad but that's the way it is these days with the airlines..now you have to pay

for checked luggage as well. Personally, I would never trust any airline to deliver

my guitars intact. Even UPS can"t deliver guitars without some kind of shipping

abuse sometimes. (Somebody mentioned that awhile ago on this forum).

The only way you have some assurance of a undamaged guitar or case at the baggage

pickup, is if you use a heavy duty aluminum transit case built with the diamiond

plate aluminum and welded corners and your guitar suspended in 2 inches of eggcrate

foam, top, bottom, sides and extra protection at the headstock and tailpiece.

You could try and find a heavy duty cardboard carton, pack the guitar and case in styrofoam and

then seal it all over with lots of packing tape and have it sent in the

"oversize" baggage, which has slightly different handling..

You might have to pay extra for the oversize baggage, but at least you might get your guitar to your destination and

still be able to play it and the case won't get scratched all to hell.

I fly a fair amount and I see people carry them on all the time. In fact, if it's just in a decent gig bag they may be more likely to let you do carry-on (since it will look smaller...well cuz it is smaller). They'll stand it up where the coats go, should be fine. Flight attendants are much easier on people's belongings than the luggage apes.

I fly a fair amount and I see people carry them on all the time. In fact' date=' if it's just in a decent gig bag they may be more likely to let you do carry-on (since it will look smaller...well cuz it is smaller). They'll stand it up where the coats go, should be fine. Flight attendants are much easier on people's belongings than the luggage apes.[/quote']

I had an Epi Special II (bought it for an aspiring 12 yr old last Xmas) and was trying to

get it home from the KC airport to Toronto and then on to Ottawa.

I Call AA first and they said IF it was above a certain size (forget the dimensions now..

something to do with length & girth) it had to be checked.

Those dimensions have to do with the overhead bins, which are crammed to capacity now

now, because they charge for extra luggage..anyway..fortunately, I didn't throw out the shipping

box and it went as oversize baggage, packed well, so that the case didn't slide around in it.

(I just escaped paying extra charge because it was the second luggage item. Had it been the 3rd,

they would have charged me $75 extra to check it!

You used to be able to carry the guitar&case on board and have it stowed in the pilot's/stewardess's

luggage area, but these days, you'd be lucky to find plane that will accomodate a guitar

case in that area. It depends on how much luggage/coats etc the aircrew are stowing.

I found it a bit comical when the AA clerk at KC mentioned to me (on t bringing the guitar & case onboard)

"Well sir, if we took all the luggage everyone wants to bring on board, we'd never get off the ground!"..LOL!

BTW, whenever you have to ship guitars on a plane, slack off the strings so that 225lbs of string tension

on the neck is relieved...at least this way when they do toss the case, there isn't as much stress on

the MIK/MIC headstocks as the wood they use these days isn't as strong as it *used to be*.

Archived