Gibson Brands Forums

Just how versatile is the Blues Custom ?

sexygibson

I have not yet had the chance to play a Blues Custom but have read nothing but good reviews. I hear that they can go from Fender type cleans to Marshall type crunch.

I gig in a cover band so I need something that is more than a one trick pony. The price on the Blues Custom is almost what I can get a Fender Blues Deluxe for so would it be worthwhile to try the Epi out ?

It's versatile, it's a good amp, so is the FBD. Which is right for you? Play it man -- play them side by side with your own guitar(s) (and choice of pedals ) and if possible along with a couple of other 'contenders'. What anyone tells you is just his/her idea of tone good-better-best-nirvana. Valve amp shopping/tryouts is like free samples in a gourmet candy store -- ENJOY!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

The clean channel on the BC30 is nice but limited volume wise compared to the over drive channel. I don't under stand this. :) Having owned a Fender amp I know no that one will mistake the clean channel on the BC30 for a Fender amp. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing as I prefer the BC30 hands down over the Fender amp. The FBD will give you a great Fender sound but you won't be getting any kind of Marshall sound from it . Not without a lot of front end processing. And maybe not even then. There are always trade off's so pick the one that's right for you.

But for versitility the BC30 is fabulous. Clean and overdrive channels, 15 or 30 watts (so you can really drive it), active or passive EQ, built like a tank and in-expensive compared to most of it's rivals of which most won't give you nearly as many options.

Thanks for the replies guys. The biggest thing I face is there is no dealer nearby where I can play the BC30. I have owned a Fender Hot Rod in the past so I kinda know what to expect from a Fender but as I would have to order online would not get to A/B the amps first.

I just recently bought a Peavey Windsor Studio. Its 20 all tube watts and even with a speaker upgrade I am not happy at all with it.

I play in a group that does mostly blues and southern rock type material. I do believe that a Fender would fit the bill but wanted to explore my options. Our lead player also plays through a Fender Hot Rod so I wanted something to compliment his sound also.

Thanks for the replies guys. The biggest thing I face is there is no dealer nearby where I can play the BC30. I have owned a Fender Hot Rod in the past so I kinda know what to expect from a Fender but as I would have to order online would not get to A/B the amps first.

I just recently bought a Peavey Windsor Studio. Its 20 all tube watts and even with a speaker upgrade I am not happy at all with it.

I play in a group that does mostly blues and southern rock type material. I do believe that a Fender would fit the bill but wanted to explore my options. Our lead player also plays through a Fender Hot Rod so I wanted something to compliment his sound also.

For blues and southern rock you would do well, IMO w/ the BC30.

The only drawback ifor me is it's hard to carry; 2 handles would be nice. A handcart would also be helpful, or casters.

Soundwise though, especially after speaker break in, it's a great amp. I have nothing but good feelings for mine.

If matching sound to another Fender amp is a priority though, you won't get it w/ the BC30. IMO its more "Voxy" then Fenderish.

Although I'm still getting good reviews on the BC30 I may decide to go with the Fender as I know what I would be getting. Really wish I could play the Epi before ordering and I don't want to get stuck with another amp that I'm not happy with.

I hear ya there. I bought mine sight unseen (un-heard??). I already had myself pretty convienced that it was the way I wanted to go, then saw one for sale on e-bay that pushed me over the edge - 3 months old for $400. Couldn't resist and I am extremely pleased with it =D>

How is the stock speaker in the BC ? What about the tubes ? Everybody running them stock ?

Stock speakers are pretty good - not up to Celestion Vintage 30's but getting into the ballpark.

Stock valves are another matter. The Sovtek 6L6's are awful and definately will need replacing with something half decent (I managed to score a pair of very early manufacture RCA Blackplates for next to nothing and boy did they make a difference. Cleans are bright and smooth without being ice picky and the breakup as you push the gain up is progressive with huge tonal range.)

The stock rectifier and preamp valves aren't that bad but still could do with a change (I've got a NOS Mullard 5AR4 in the rectifier and am looking for some Mullard 12AX7's or even some Telefunkens when I win the lottery!)

Retubing is definitely in my future. I don't think the stockers suck, but they aren't top notch either.

Speakers though....I dunno...I thought about getting some good celestions when I first got it, but now I'm not feeling the need to do it. AFter break in, I honestly like them. Will make final assesment after retubing.

Resale value on the Fender will probably be better than the EPI. I personally like the BC30 better than the Fenders I have owned, but I've never had a real high end Fender Amp either. I've played them though; in stores, from bandmates etc, and IMO it compares very favorably, better in some regard. The rectifier and class A option are really big points IMO. The reverb is pretty good, but there, Fender does hold the advantage. All things considered, the BC30 is no kids play thing, it's a serious amp. But if Fender sound is the object of the quest...you should go Fender. 8-[ BC30 just won't be likely to satisy that particular itch. Anybody looking for something VOXY, though, I think the BC30 can help you out.

Obviously, subjective opinions here...somebody else might have tweaked a nice Fender style tone out of their's.

I am not exactly looking for a Fender type tone, although I do want something that will compliment my lead players Hot Rod Deluxe. I fear that two Fenders may end up muddy. I was hoping I may could get Fender cleans and Marshall crunch from the same amp. I do rarely play clean though; its usually on my acoustic when I do.

The Clean is really very good. I prefer a Boss Blues Driver to the BC's OD channel. I actually use just the clean channel, with and w/o the Blues Driver. I get a very good tube crunch that way. Can sound sweet or cut like a blade. LOL It's just too heavy to take out of the house, when I have a reason to. My Ampegs are much easier to haul.

Anyhoo, this amp with any really good OD pedal is righteous. I'd like to try it with an old fashioned ibanez tube screamer sometime.

Fender clean and Marshall crunch in the same amp? Been there, done that. You want something along the lines of the Calico Beast mod! It changes the coupling caps and interstage attenuation on one 4PDT on,on switch. Also changes C4. Here's one of the most recent variations. This is a VJr mod, but the concept can be adapted to the BC30 easily enough. Anyway, it's food for thought, although, I think you may need a bigger switch. 8-[

http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/EVj_Calico_Woody_Beastv1_3.JPG

Oops. That's schematic is missing an update or two. The calico switch Sw2c now has a 100k "R6" on lug 9 of the switch instead of the jumper. This eliminated a problem with blocking distortion with a high gain JJ 12ax7.

And the input impedance switch was corrected. Fender and Marshall have both kept using this same old (non-toggle-switched, uses two jacks) Hi/Lo arrangement for half a century because it's simply the best of the most useful combinations of all the options possible. And believe me, I've tried a few!

http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/impedance%20switching%20-%20SPDT.GIF

Gil...

I am not exactly looking for a Fender type tone' date=' although I do want something that will compliment my lead players Hot Rod Deluxe. I fear that two Fenders may end up muddy. I was hoping I may could get Fender cleans and Marshall crunch from the same amp. I do rarely play clean though; its usually on my acoustic when I do.[/quote']

The other guitarist in my band plays thru a Fender amp, our sounds compliment each other really nicely.

Archived