Gibson Brands Forums

Not Quite A Thunderbird!?!

eggs

In (I think) the 90's Epiphone made some basses that were 'not quite Thunderbirds'. That is, they were not quite as angular as a T/Bird, they did not display the T/Bird logo on the scratch plate, and they had (and please excuse this description) a 'Precision' neck pickup and a 'Jazz' bridge pickup. Can anyone provide any info and/or pictures about/of these 'Weirdbirds' please.

SEE ADDITIONAL COMMENTS BELOW

Oniweeki... thanks for your response... something I forgot to mention was the the machine heads face downwards... Q1: does that tie in with your 'Reverse Thunderbird' theory?... & Q2: did Gibson do a 'Reverse Thunderbird' or was this just an Epiphone thing?

Gibson did reverse and non reverse t birds as did Epiphone. Why Epiphone (or more likely Gibson US) decided to use Alder bodies and maple necks like Fender do I will never understand , let alone the Fender style pups! The Gibson T-birds are mostly Mahogany which is a warmer slightly blurry sound by comparison and of course have Humbucker pups not single coil like the Epi's.

Yours is a non reverse Thunderbird eggmuffins

Thanks Freuds_cat... I have noticed your huge contribution to this forum & was hoping that you would 'chime in' on my query. Anyway, you have certainly set me straight here re my non-reverse 'Weirdbird'. One more question... I believe that this bass is Korean made. Were they ever made elsewhere?

I think I read a while ago somewhere that some NR Thunderbirds were made in the Czech republic in the early 90' as well as the more common mid 90's Korean ones which (PLEASE EPI Mods feel

free to correct me if I'm wrong!!!) were I believe made in the Samick plant . Not sure about any Japanese ones.

Epi made a 5 string version of these NR's as well.

This one on ebay here in Australia currently.

554a_3.JPG

Ebay listing here

Archived