Gibson Brands Forums

Electronic Power Scaling

gmm20

Hi MRD23: All the schematic info is on SEWatt.com web site (free registration).

Look at this thread for the schematic: http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/VVR.pdf

This is the orgnial monster thread: http://www.sewatt.com/node/16172

It will give you all the information.

You only need 3 wires to wire it in. Many have used point to point connections, some have used terminal stripes, and some have made thier own circuit boards. Lazy people like me purchased the circuit board from Dana Hall (contact info @ sewatt) since it was made nice to start with.

Hi Gary. I'm currently using the UR12's VVR curcuit in my VJ (I know you are well aware of the curcuit).

It works very well and I used Dana's very nice screened board since I was too lazy to make my own.

Doug.

Yes, I am familar with it. I'm sure it's fine circuit. I was just wondering how many people, in general, were using any form of electronic power scaling, instead of the external attenuators.

-g

Hi Gary. Long time no chat. Say hi to the Judy sisters for me.

It would seem quite a few folks on SEwatt/PPwatt, 18watt, and AmpGarage have picked up on the VVR and are using it successfully. At least, those who use the NTE mosfet. That seems to be the good one, but you pay for it, too. I bought a couple of those and the zeners, but have yet to get around to doing something with 'em when I find the right amp. It's just not real high on my round tuit list. I still like it loud, remember? 8-[

Right now the hot mod is the Full/Half/Quarter Powerder switch for PP cathode biased amps. That's not the official name for it if there is one, but I get a kick out calling that it anyway. There's currently a hot thread on it at 18watt that kinda jumped forums from this original thread on EL34World. Good mods are like that. This one apparently doesn't mess with the dynamics of the amp so much.

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4401.0

Gil...

Hi Gil. Ya, I'll mention that next time she comes to visit. Apparently they are off doing a concert tour. She has me on tap for a little combo amp. I'll do something like a 2 channel build ; EF86/12ax7/EL34 for a lead channel, and 6SJ7/6SL7/KT66 for the ryhthm channel. Probably fixed bias since my power brake will accomodate a fixed bias P/P power amp. But, the cabinet has to look just "absoluty professional" and I don't do cabinets yet. I was thinking of visiting the guys over at King Amps to do the cabinets for me. Actually, I have three combo's to build. One for her, one for Maurice in Denver, and one for Chuck and Linda Worthy of Seattle. I also have to figure out how I'm going to layout the front panel. My pre-amps have gain switching now, and will probably pull my bite lamps off the front panel.

But I wondering about the guys who still run the stock factory cards inside their Valve Juniors. I still have a couple mod'ed factory cards with my power brake mod installed on those. Kevin believes I should release it to the world like you guys have done. Perhaps I may do that here on this forum, if there is any interest. Certainly if I can should how to install it on the stock factory card.

-g

the NTE mosfet. That seems to be the good one' date=' but you pay for it, too.[/quote']

Gil: I think I paid $3.50 for my NTE2377 mosfet's from fleabay (which were the orignal moster thread mosfets) but I see Dana sent me a NTE2973 which has double the rating

but I see the current fleabay price for these is $9~$12 per fet... and some unbelievable shipping prices of $32 on some.

Archived