Gibson Brands Forums

Pick up mod for a Joe Pass

Nic

I just brought home a Joe Pass Emperor II and am wondering if it's worthwhile doing a pick up change. And if so what pick ups have others used.

I'm pretty happy with this guitar, but, always curious if there's something I can do to make it better.

I've said this a few times. Play it for about a month, and then decide if you like the stock pickups or not. The Joe Pass has a great sound. I've been playing blues and jazz on mine and am totally happy.

The amp you are using makes a really big difference. I normally use a Blues Deluxe. Last night I did a private party, big hotel ballroom gig. I used my Peavey Classic 410. The Joe Pass took on a really big fat sound. I had my Gibby Studio with me but the Joe did most of the work.

Don't be in too much of a hurry. Some feel the Epi pickups are not that good. I have five Epi's and they are all stock and they are going to stay that way.

Yeah I'd play it for a while and then decide where you want to go tone wise. I bought mine with the intent of gutting and putting in all new wiring pots,switch, caps jack and pickups GFS mean 90's. I wanted more of a jazz/blues hybrid with a metal bridge etc.... I don't use flatwounds and that's not really the sound I was going for at all. I'm verry happy with the way it turned out actually. Here is a short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_43pFCDXw

Archived