Gibson Brands Forums

what can I do to my SG?

yppah

I want to mod my pickups. Stock closed plate humbuckers on an older SG (limited or special?). not sure exactly what model, but it's wine red with gold hardware. It looks like the pickups are only the two-wire so can I still do any mods? or am I stuck with this

Just switch them out for new, easier than running new leads or anything.

Store.guitarfetish.com sells GFS pickups, excellent, and very great customer service.

New pots(the things under your knobs), some push/pulls would be able to give you single coil sounds liek a strat, telecaster, even peter green sounds.

Google "jimmy page wiring mod".

When you get your 4 push/pulls and your pickups, wire 'em up like that.

Fat pats, vintage '59s, and dream 180s are their best pickups, particularly for SGs and this mod.

If it's an SG, I'd leave the pickups in it. If it's a G-400, change 'em. Seriously, the pickups in every Gibson SG I've ever played are fine, including the one I used to own. As someone said, you can't coil split with 2 wire pickups, but changing them is still easy.

I want to mod my pickups. Stock closed plate humbuckers on an older SG (limited or special?). not sure exactly what model' date=' but it's wine red with gold hardware. It looks like the pickups are only the two-wire so can I still do any mods? or am I stuck with this[/quote']

You could resolder to 4-wire, but since you have to ask I'd stay well away. Not trying to put you down or anything, but since you are working with copper as thin as a hair, you could potentially ruin your pickup.

Archived