Gibson Brands Forums

Nickel or Stainless fretwire better?

Bender 4 Life

Before too long i'm going to have to have my GLP re-fretted.

i'm seriously thinking about asking for stainless wire.

I know the cost is conciderably more, but thats not a concern.

Pros/Cons.........personal experience w/stainless.........

any info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stainless tends to wear quicker in usual fretted areas, yet hold up better to heavy bends, and it also won't discolor when exposed to humidity, and supposedly, it increases sustain.

Me personally? I tried a guitar with copper fretwire, that was VERY NICE. High maintainence to keep it from going green or anything, yeah, but VERY smooth on bends, tone was nice n' warm, can't say much about wear, but the guy said he'd had the thing 8 years after the refret, playing everyday >2 hours. So that's an option.

Or just go fretless. Why not?

Stainless tends to wear quicker in usual fretted areas

Stainless Steel wears quicker then nickel?

I tried a guitar with copper fretwire' date=' that was VERY NICE. High maintainence to keep it from going green or anything, yeah, but VERY smooth on bends, tone was nice n' warm, can't say much about wear, but the guy said he'd had the thing 8 years after the refret, playing everyday >2 hours. [/quote']

Horse manure.

Copper fretwire will wear down in weeks(with a 2 hour a day routine). I've only seen it(and its brass cousin) used on cheeep nylon acoustics.

There is a copper-alloy fretwire that is specially treated to be stronger than nickel-silver, but it will not oxidize by turning green...

Archived