Gibson Brands Forums

Business or rip off

Woko

I was in a guitar shop in Rhyl (North Wales)on Saturday for sale in the Shop was a very nice 1995 Epiphone Les paul in very good condition and set up to a high standard. The assistant in the shop said there's a funny story about that guitar. "this bloke came in yesterday said how much will you give me for this. The Guy in the shop said "yes I will give you £40 for it. The man said "give me £30 and we can call it a deal".

When the boss came back in I ask how much for the Les paul he said that guitar will cost you £230 .

1 The seller must have been desperate for some cash.

2 Stupid.

3 Guitar was stolen

The owner of the shop did not give a toss one way or the other.

It says outside the shop run by guitarist for guitarist I dont think so mate.

what do you think am I being daft is this just business or a rip off.

The Guy in the shop said "yes I will give you £40 for it. The man said "give me £30 and we can call it a deal".

When the boss came back in I ask how much for the Les paul he said that guitar will cost you £230 .

1 The seller must have been desperate for some cash.

2 Stupid.

3 Guitar was stolen

The owner of the shop did not give a toss one way or the other.

It says outside the shop run by guitarist for guitarist I dont think so mate.

what do you think am I being daft is this just business or a rip off.

Either your currency is reverse or you wrote that backwards.

You should have spoke up and told the original guy you would give him 50 or would that be 20 in your currency?

I understand you may have typed the first 2 amounts in backwards.

I also understand the point of your story. Seems some people have no quams from making a living out of other people's desperation or misfortune.

I was curious while in a "music resale store" not long ago. I was considering selling a guitar I had purchased new a couple of years ago. I did not need the money nor did I care if I sold the guitar or not.

The guitar in question is as new as the day I bought it.

The cost was $1,100. The current cost is $1,500. I know for a fact it would cost an authorized dealer $950 + shipping.

I did not have the guitar with me but the guy in the store told me," If it is in real good condition, I might be able to give you $300".

Needless to say, I have not been back to the store since.

For what he was offering I would have burned it for firewood first.

I understand you may have typed the first 2 amounts in backwards.

I also understand the point of your story. Seems some people have no quams from making a living out of other people's desperation or misfortune.

I was curious while in a "music resale store" not long ago. I was considering selling a guitar I had purchased new a couple of years ago. I did not need the money nor did I care if I sold the guitar or not.

The guitar in question is as new as the day I bought it.

The cost was $1' date='100. The current cost is $1,500. I know for a fact it would cost an authorized dealer $950 + shipping.

I did not have the guitar with me but the guy in the store told me," If it is in real good condition, I might be able to give you $300".

Needless to say, I have not been back to the store since.

For what he was offering I would have burned it for firewood first.

[/quote']

It was humor, unfortunately you didn't see it that way. I've never seriously went after any one here, but I could make an exception.

Guitar stores are in business to make a profit, so why wouldn't he offer a low number?

Just Strum,

What was that all about?

My comments were not directed at you. I was replying to woko's post. I know from your posts you are one of the good guys.

I guess I did miss your point.

It just seems sad when taking advantage of someone in the name of profit is considered business as usual....

I guess I am just not at the top of my game today.

Just Strum' date='

What was that all about?

My comments were not directed at you. I was replying to woko's post. I know from your posts you are one of the good guys.

I guess I did miss your point.

It just seems sad when taking advantage of someone in the name of profit is considered business as usual....

I guess I am just not at the top of my game today.[/quote']

Misread, my bad - sorry.

But to the point of the original post. Unless you or me were there, we really don't know the situation. Low balling on a guitar that isn't part of a trade in is common place.

I tried selling a Washburn acoustic to a local store and they offered me $125 (I later sold it for $400). Now had I walked in and said I wanted to trade it in on a high end Gibson, I would bet that offer would have jumped up to $300+.

Bottom line, if you own a business - profit is the only thing that keeps the doors open. Woko also didn't say anything about attempting to negotiate with the store owner. Plus, if the store owner just got the guitar, he really hasn't had a chance to see what interest there is in the guitar. Let that thing sit around for a month or two, he may be singing a different tune. Of course that my opinion, mixed with assumptions.

For stores/dealers, it's inventory...to be moved, or it just takes up space.

Camera stores/dealers are the same. I never trade in, my used equipment,

anymore, because you get "raped" on the price, they'll allow you. So, I

just sell it outright, myself, or keep it. Their "Trade In Value" is a joke...most

of the time, anyway. There are always exceptions, but that's been my experience.

And, too many folks, these days, don't want just a decent "profit," they want "Record

profits," month to month. Guess they think they're in the oil or pharmaceutical business? LOL!

CB

A workmate of mine had his guitar stolen by a methhead his son was aquainted with.

Said theif immediately sold the guitar to a local pawnbroker.

It was spotted hanging in the shop and police were alerted.

When it was confiscated as evidence, the pawnbroker DEMANDED that the police sign an insurance claim form

for $600 dollars he'd just "lost".

When they caught the theif, they asked him how much he'd sold it for, and he actually produced a recipt

(with wrong sereal numbers) showing he'd sold it to the pawnbroker for $20.

I know this sounds like an "urban legend", but I personally know everybody involved in this case, and with the exception of my workmate, I believe their IQ is only double digit.

Greed + Deception = modern business

That's (unfortuantely' date=' for us) the "norm!" Buy low, sell high! When it comes to making

the "Almighty Dollar," concern for fellow human's misery, or wants...is tossed out with the morning dishwater!

CB[/quote']

So true what you said there, Charlie Brown. When I bought my Epi Sheraton II, I traded in my MIM Stratocaster

and modded MIM Telecaster. The guy gave me $175.00 for each. Before I left the store I noted that he had them

hanging up on the wall with a $275.00 price tag each.#-o It always amazes me that when you want to trade

something in they tell you, "Well I can only give you "x" amount of dollars because that's all it's worth; so I can't

give you any more." But then they turn around and sell it to the next unsuspecting person for "x+y". But gee, you

only said it was worth...amazing how much more something is worth when it's there's than yours. Yes, the

"Almighty Dollar" in the hands of an entrepreneur.:-k

I just traded in three pieces of gear at Daves Guitars in La Cross Wis. I told him I wanted in store credit. He not only gave me more then i expected, he told me what he'd sell it for! I wil be going back to him next time my gas gets to me. Stan.

Woko' date=' which shop was it,the one in the centre of town(opposite the chip shop in Wellington road)or the one heading out of town towards Kinmel bay?[/quote']

Hello It was the one on the way out of town . I some times go into Rhyl sound centre and have always found Colin the owner to be a good guy he will give advice for free and will also give you the time of day. The shop was not rhyl sound centre.

Hello all. Yes the owner of the shop offered the guy £40 but the guy must have misheard him and said I will take

£30. That is what the assistant found funny. I was not after the guitar for a cheap price I just thought the owner should have given the seller a fair price. This was last Saturday the guitar came into the shop on Friday.

I think the assistant must have been in trouble for telling me in the first place. I will go in the shop again on Saturday .

1. To see if guitar as been sold.

2. To see if assistant as been sacked.

there's a guy locally with a new store..

one thing I learned he says to me.. never make an offer...

that's the buy low sell high guy.. he's interested in business only.

and he says never tell them what it's worth.

stores generally offer you far less than they hope to sell it for.. they need to cover overhead, time on the shelf etc.. so it's at least understandable.. but all too often they offer you quite a bit less than ebay would provide.

If anyone comes to me with old stuff.. I direct them to folks like george gruhn.. any good reputable EXPERT in the field.. and then help them find out what the inst. is actually selling for.

nothing sadder than some old coot with a les paul under his bed for forty years selling it off for peanuts.

but be fair.. we all shop for bargains.. and try to haggle whenever we can. that's part of the fun..

I just think ebay / craigs list is often the best way to go.. but first do your research!

TWANG

So true what you said there' date=' Charlie Brown. When I bought my Epi Sheraton II, I traded in my MIM Stratocaster

and modded MIM Telecaster. The guy gave me $175.00 for each. Before I left the store I noted that he had them

hanging up on the wall with a $275.00 price tag each.#-o It always amazes me that when you want to trade

something in they tell you, "Well I can only give you "x" amount of dollars because that's all it's worth; so I can't

give you any more." But then they turn around and sell it to the next unsuspecting person for "x+y". But gee, you

only said it was worth...amazing how much more something is worth when it's there's than yours. Yes, the

"Almighty Dollar" in the hands of an entrepreneur.default_eusa_wall.gif

Paul, that's the difference between wholesale (what they buy for) and retail (what they sell for). Actually the markup of a hundred dollars each is less than I would expect. Sounds like they treated you pretty danged well. Would you expect them to sell it for what they gave you for them?

I don't work for free (although it feels like it) and I don't expect others to either. If a business doesn't make money, including on me, they won't be there tomorrow.

Paul' date=' that's the difference between wholesale (what they buy for) and retail (what they sell for). Actually the markup of a hundred dollars each is less than I would expect. Sounds like they treated you pretty danged well. Would you expect them to sell it for what they gave you for them?

I don't work for free (although it feels like it) and I don't expect others to either. If a business doesn't make money, including on me, they won't be there tomorrow. [/quote']

dbirchett; I understand what your saying. They probably could have waited until I left the store though.#-o That's

just my humble opinion.:-k

Just another example of the all-too-common mentality of salespeople where there is no such thing as win/win; there has to be a loser. You just got a peek into that mindset. Distasteful, to say the least. The salesman was simply a big-mouthed putz who was unwise to mention his "killing" to you.

dbirchett; I understand what your saying. They probably could have waited until I left the store though.:) That's

just my humble opinion.=D>

Yeah, I see where you are going now. Kind of like selling an old cherished car and having them chop it up for parts in front of you. Kind of tacky.

On the other hand it does sound like they treated you well. Most music stores, back in the day, would give you 50%, 40% or less of what they would mark it for. Maybe a reflection of how clean the pieces were and how quickly they felt they could turn them.

How's the Sheraton?

Archived