Gibson Brands Forums

Fellow DIYers

hoobiepatrol

A little bit proud of myself today...I've finished my homemade guitar stand. Since I couldn't justify shelling out $70 or so for a "professional" multiple guitar stand, I decided to make one myself out of PVC piping.

Total cost was about $25 -

$10 for the piping and joints

$10 cheap foam mattress pad to protect the guitars

$5 heavy duty mounting tape to stick the cut up foam to the stand

guitstand.JPG

True enough, it doesn't fold up for transport like the "real" ones, it isn't metal, and the foam sure ain't pretty, but after i glued all of the joints together it is suprizingly sturdy, doesn't even bend under the weight of three guitars (including an LP) and a bass. Suits me just fine.

Here's my homemade pedal board, too -

$7 peice of shelving wood

$5 velcro tape

$5 cabinet handles (for easy transport)

$1 scrap wood as a step to pitch it forward

IMG_0005.JPG

The velcro tape sticks out a little, but I think the wood veneer looks nicer than the black carpet metal cornered ones.

I know a lot of us here build guitars, anyone else gawk at the prices gear these days and take matters into their own hands?

A little bit proud of myself today...I've finished my homemade guitar stand. Since I couldn't justify shelling out $70 or so for a "professional" multiple guitar stand' date=' I decided to make one myself out of PVC piping.

Total cost was about $25 -

$10 for the piping and joints

$10 cheap foam mattress pad to protect the guitars

$5 heavy duty mounting tape to stick the cut up foam to the stand

[/quote']

Excellent job. You could replace the lower 2 bars that hold the guitars weight with metal ones. There are foam isolation tubes available that are a perfect fit with most tubes.

This is the best topic I have seen in a long time. Congratulations guys.

I once built a reverb unit using a spring from the bug screen from my dad's car. Glued a piece of copper wire to a small speaker and jammed the other end of the wire into the spring. My dad was a ham radio operator so there was always drawers full of "stuff" in his shop. He had a bunch of old record player cartridges. Stuck a wire into the needle opening and the other end into the spring. Hooked the speaker up to a small amp and the phono cartridge to my amp.

Reverb was born and it worked well enough to be used on a few gigs until it pretty much blew up.

My electronic vibrato will be covered under a comedy thread. It blew up as well.

Neccessity, truly is the Mother of Invention! Good idea with the PVC pipe, though the foam will probably break down in time. The pipe insulatation is a good idea for that situation I would think.

I used that auto carpeting you can get at the auto supply stores for my pedal board. I work in sheet metal, and bent up a board out of aluminum where it is raised at the top of the board on an angle about an 1 1/2" to a kick at the floor. I then glued the carpet down, which gives a good sticking surface for the loop side of the Velcro. It holds about seven pedals, which I hardley use anyway, but it looks good though.

By the way hoobie, I live in NPR in case you ever want to come check it out! I'll look see if I have a picture...

Heres a pic of a few of my DIY projects:

Pedal board:

For the covering, I used what the fabric/craft store called "Trunk Lining". Its alot like the fuzzy part of velcro.

Works great for holding my pedals down. The downside is that EVERYTHING sticks to it, like wood shavings, dog hair, dirt, etc.

I have added/changed a few pedals.

Also note the extra knob on that Danelectro Echo (top row, far left). Its a slapback echo with no adjustment for the delay time. I changed that :)

My-Gear_03-23-2008-002.jpg

My-Gear_03-23-2008-001.jpg

I may remove that "Trunk Lining", and use the same formica to cover it that I used for this pickguard for my Epiphone LP (I also made a TRC out of the same formica):

Misc072.jpg

shartom, thats really cool that you made your own spring reverb.

Couldn't find pipe insulation, but I might look harder if/when the mounting tape comes off of this one. I actually needed the mattress pad for my futon, so I just bought a queen sized pad and cut up the extra for the stand.

Codemonk: That formica pickguard is awesome. Is there a wiring diagram or instructions online for how to put the time mod on the Dano slapback?

BENT E: I was just up in Tarpon Springs a few week's ago. Would've been a stone's throw away!

Couldn't find pipe insulation' date=' but I might look harder if/when the mounting tape comes off of this one. I actually needed the mattress pad for my futon, so I just bought a queen sized pad and cut up the extra for the stand.

Codemonk: That formica pickguard is awesome. Is there a wiring diagram or instructions online for how to put the time mod on the Dano slapback?

BENT E: I was just up in Tarpon Springs a few week's ago. Would've been a stone's throw away![/quote']

Yeah, theres info online about that mod.

You can search here : http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/

Its an easy mod (sort of). Look at the delay chip (PT2395 or 2399, I forget). Off of pin 6 there is a resistor. remove it and wire a 100k pot in its place.

But beware!...Its all surface mount stuff and can be very tricky to work with.

Archived